• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joe Paterno's Legacy

Predictions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
paterno.jpg

Went with other. This will never go away, but Paterno will likely be remembered as a coach who cared about his players and did things the right way, BUT in his later years made some grievous errors in judgment that led to a justified termination of employment.

In other words, anytime someone talks about Paterno, they will have to include the good and the bad.

I hope he lives long enough to some day explain why he handled this Sandusky matter the way he did. I mean, there is SO much good this man did at Penn State for sixty years. I just can't fathom why he didn't do more in this instance.

I guess the legal matters will have to run their course first, which will certainly take a while.

It's too early to tell. All the details have to come out before Joe Paterno's legacy can be accurately assessed.

Went with other. This will never go away, but Paterno will likely be remembered as a coach who cared about his players and did things the right way, BUT in his later years made some grievous errors in judgment that led to a justified termination of employment.

In other words, anytime someone talks about Paterno, they will have to include the good and the bad.

There is no way a man that turns a blind eye to child rape can ever be described as doing "things the right way".

This outrage is more than a mere asterisk on a career. It partly defines that career.

Oh, and "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SkinsNDeacs again."

I hope he lives long enough to some day explain why he handled this Sandusky matter the way he did. I mean, there is SO much good this man did at Penn State for sixty years. I just can't fathom why he didn't do more in this instance.

I guess the legal matters will have to run their course first, which will certainly take a while.

With the immense stress he is now under, this may not be long...........

He's seeing everything he's worked his whole life for crumble very quickly.
Like many others, I think he did a lot of good things, and I just don't understand how he could let this happen. Makes no sense.

There is no way a man that turns a blind eye to child rape can ever be described as doing "things the right way".

I think many people like being outraged for the sake of being outraged. "Turned a blind eye" seems like a deliberate mischaracterization of the facts to me. Insufficient response seems more apt given he failed to follow up on his report to two of his superiors.

I have always viewed him as a phony in the Coach K mold.

Let me make it clearer. For most of his career, Paterno did things the right way and won at football without rampant cheating, and then in his later years compromised his morals and allowed some pretty awful things to happen under his watch. That's how many are probably going to view his legacy.

ETA that is probably not how he should be viewed, but that is what I predict many will view it as. Obviously this recent scandal undoes everything he did that was good

Last edited:
I am guessing his long term legacy will recover to some degree, not saying that it is right or it should, but I am guessing the further we get away from it he'll be remembered for the positives he contributed to PSU before the late 90s, early 00s.

I think many people like being outraged for the sake of being outraged. "Turned a blind eye" seems like a deliberate mischaracterization of the facts to me. Insufficient response seems more apt given he failed to follow up on his report to two of his superiors.

Why do you think he failed to follow up? Did he just happen to forget that his DC was seen having sexual relations with a boy in a shower? Seems like something pretty hard to forget. Read between the lines.

I think it is a great shame on many levels. One that I haven't seen touched upon as much is the fact that, love him or hate him, Paterno was a bedrock for what college football meant. Long-term success, very few violations, great tradition... it was all there. Now, you can't say that. Where can you point to now for an example of a program doing all the right things? I can't even think of a coach who has been in place for over 20 years... Beamer, maybe?

STATE COLLEGE, PA—After former Penn State defensive coach Jerry Sandusky was charged Saturday with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, corruption of minors, indecent assault, and unlawful contact with minors, the national sports media sought out his victims this week to ask if they were worried about Joe Paterno's legacy and how their molestations might affect the recently fired head coach's place in the history books.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/sports-media-asks-molestation-victims-what-this-me,26609/

Bullshit. He knew that his defensive coordinator was having anal sex with 10 year old boys in his locker room. He knew that he had not been arrested for it and was still around his program. That is turning a blind eye.

With the immense stress he is now under, this may not be long...........

He's seeing everything he's worked his whole life for crumble very quickly.
Like many others, I think he did a lot of good things, and I just don't understand how he could let this happen. Makes no sense.

I'll take the under on his life expectancy after this. However, twenty years from now he will be on the top ten list of all time college coaches. The hardest part for me is reconciling his immense moral breakdown as a man and leader against how he developed and ran his football program.

This Sandusky stuff has been happening since '98? And Paterno has been there for 60 years? That's 20 - 25% of his time there.

Don't let your earlier judgements on the man fool you. He allowed this to happen under his nose for quite sometime.

This Sandusky stuff has been happening since '98? And Paterno has been there for 60 years? That's 20 - 25% of his time there.

Don't let your earlier judgements on the man fool you. He allowed this to happen under his nose for quite sometime.

+1.

Details fade, the record books and the House that Joe built will endure.

The headline will be the program he built and the university he helped build to what it is today, and he has had a lot to do with it.

The subhead will be the Sandusky thing.

Obviously, if he goes to prison, things change. But I don't expect that.

Back