• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Woods

watched some of the first half, the Ducks run run and run that makes it hard for Tony. Not a great match for him.

12 points and 4 rebounds. and they lost by 14.

?

led Oregon in scoring last night.

I watched the game. He's just not that good. I don't know how a player with his size and mobility has failed to improve at all, but he looks about the same as he did against Texas in 2009... That is to say, solid, but hardly a former top-50 prospect and definitely nowhere near the player he was reputed to be in high school.

This isn't meant to be a knock against Tony, but I just don't think he's that good.

I watched the game. He's just not that good. I don't know how a player with his size and mobility has failed to improve at all, but he looks about the same as he did against Texas in 2009... That is to say, solid, but hardly a former top-50 prospect and definitely nowhere near the player he was reputed to be in high school.

This isn't meant to be a knock against Tony, but I just don't think he's that good.

I don't disagree with the University's decision about him having to go, and I don't disagree with you that he's not that good. However, he's still a hell of a lot better low post player than anyone else we have right now at low post. I am proud of the University that they made the tough decision with integrity.

He scores on followups and layups.....

A certain slow guy named Tyler was all-american at Carolina pretty much recently for his followups and layups. Woods certainly wasn't him, but the Deacs need someone to get them, especially at the rate we missed layups last night that Loyola rebounded.

Tony Woods is terrible. End of story. Bricks for hands, no moves, constantly traveled and picked up his pivot foot, below avg FT shooter...not good

Tony Woods is terrible. End of story. Bricks for hands, no moves, constantly traveled and picked up his pivot foot, below avg FT shooter...not good

Cant argue with this assessment of his game. Pretty much right on. However, I cant agree that he is terrible. Because of his size, he would be a very serviceable backup 5. He just wasnt as good as he was reported to be. It happens ... too often!

I don't disagree with the University's decision about him having to go, and I don't disagree with you that he's not that good. However, he's still a hell of a lot better low post player than anyone else we have right now at low post. I am proud of the University that they made the tough decision with integrity.

I am not picking on you 76, I really am not. However, it is inaccurate to say that the University let him go. They did not. It gets repeated and folks start to believe it. Tony was suspended for a semester and would have been allowed to request reinstatement. He had options and made the decision to leave for several reasons. It was a good decision IMO.

Totally agree with Strickland33. He is simply not that good. I watched the game in its entirety, and just kept thinking to myself, 'this kid hasn't gotten any better since graduating from high school.' All he can do is dunk.

Daniel Green has WAY more upside. It's just crazy how some of the most highly ranked prep stars don't pan out.

I am not picking on you 76, I really am not. However, it is inaccurate to say that the University let him go. They did not. It gets repeated and folks start to believe it. Tony was suspended for a semester and would have been allowed to request reinstatement. He had options and made the decision to leave for several reasons. It was a good decision IMO.

I agree with your post, 75. That is what I meant by letting him go.

A certain slow guy named Tyler was all-american at Carolina pretty much recently for his followups and layups. Woods certainly wasn't him, but the Deacs need someone to get them, especially at the rate we missed layups last night that Loyola rebounded.

what? as much as i hate to admit it, tyler had way more to his game than followups and layups.

I stand my belief that Wake should not offer schollys to any kid in any sport that is already a parent. Just shouldn't do it. Being a student athlete is hard enough at Wake. Add the stresses of baby or toddler and a possibly murky commitment to the mother ... just not a stew that usually produces focused performances in sport or probably classroom.

Go to Clemson, Georgia, West Virginia. If you think you have a shot at making money at your sport, get an easier education somewhere. Don't go to Wake. It's a mistake for all parties.

I know Rusty was a parent while at Wake, but he didn't COME IN TO SCHOOL a parent and he got married while in school (I think) before he started to bum rush life and get started on being a parent 5-10 years before he probably should have (what's the freakin rush?)

If I am not mistaken there are no current parents on our current hoops roster ...

I stand my belief that Wake should not offer schollys to any kid in any sport that is already a parent. Just shouldn't do it. Being a student athlete is hard enough at Wake. Add the stresses of baby or toddler and a possibly murky commitment to the mother ... just not a stew that usually produces focused performances in sport or probably classroom.

Go to Clemson, Georgia, West Virginia. If you think you have a shot at making money at your sport, get an easier education somewhere. Don't go to Wake. It's a mistake for all parties.

I know Rusty was a parent while at Wake, but he didn't COME IN TO SCHOOL a parent and he got married while in school (I think) before he started to bum rush life and get started on being a parent 5-10 years before he probably should have (what's the freakin rush?)

If I am not mistaken there are no current parents on our current hoops roster ...

This is such a closed minded point of view and you have just eliminated a good number of our current student athletes. Yes it's incredibly hard to be a parent AND a student AND an athlete, but that is no reason to not give a kid a shot. Whether you know it or not, some of our favorite WF players have had kids out of wedlock while here.

Back