• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
If an alien landed in my front yard tomorrow and it and I got in a conversation about Wake Forest football, I would show it a tape of this game. It really was the quintessential Jim Grobe football game at Wake Forest. You couldn't have scripted it any more accurately.

"We kept it close." That will be on Grobe's gravestone.

And Grobe caps it off by honestly believing that a 42 yard FG took 7 seconds.

So true. I'm almost sad he keeps us competitive for three quarters, because his teams always fold in the fourth, making every loss twice as bad. We don't even need new game threads. Just post the same one for every big game and change the opponent.

I'm getting sick of this. I know we're supposed to be blessed to have him, and I had a blast at the Orange Bowl, but the man has no guts. None. He's become a sad old man who lets everyone else push him around.

"We kept it close." That will be on Grobe's gravestone.

And Grobe caps it off by honestly believing that a 42 yard FG took 7 seconds.

Grobe is the only coach who wouldn't make them kick off, I now just would rather be 2 and 9

Further, the final 3-and-out with Price taking the sack on 3rd down....perfect.

I'm getting sick of this. I know we're supposed to be blessed to have him, and I had a blast at the Orange Bowl, but the man has no guts. None. He's become a sad old man who lets everyone else push him around.

As evidenced by his reaction to the Clemson FG with 2 seconds still left on the clock.

it hurts, but I thought we were gonna lose by 30. Give the team and coaches credit, we gave a top ten team all they could handle in their own stadium. That's pretty respectable and much better than anyone predicted out of the Deacs this season.

There was never a time that I thought we were going to win this game. NEVER. I always knew we'd do typical Wake Forest shit and lose it. Just like always.

Fuck you, Jimmy Newman.

If I was down 14 in the fourth, and my life was on the line, I'd want Jim Grobe coaching the other team.

this game was just awful on so many levels
what was it, five missed turnovers?
missed FG by wake
missed FG by Clemson
wake goes three and out when they should have had the last possession
clemson goes 50 yards in under 40 seconds to kick an even longer FG than they missed minutes earlier
oh and let's not forget the horrible, just fucking horrible, calls by the officials

How long before folks starting calling/demanding he be fired?

To be honest, I didn't expect a a successful season or even a close game today. Deacs played well/hard, but a few mistakes (missed interceptions and field goals) plus a few horrible calls/spots seemed to make the difference.

Reminds me of a couple of Grobe's early years. I am now even more excited about Wake football and will be expecting an ACC championship game within the next couple of years.

Grobe is the only coach who wouldn't make them kick off, I now just would rather be 2 and 9

When should the clock have stopped? I would think when the refs hands went up. Am I wrong?

it hurts, but I thought we were gonna lose by 30. Give the team and coaches credit, we gave a top ten team all they could handle in their own stadium. That's pretty respectable and much better than anyone predicted out of the Deacs this season.

FUCK respectable when you are up 28 fucking 14

I really can't believe it. The game followed the script like no other game I've ever seen. You could have predicted the entire thing.

I don't really let Wake Forest sports get to me these days, but I kind of want to kill myself right now after watching that.

Back