• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Grobe wants to keep it close

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
If this is how things are going to be and I believe they are, he better find a heck of a lot better kicker than JN. We need another Sam Swank. If you are going to play it close to the vest and go for FGs instead of TDs you better have someone who can kick more than 35 yds. Another option would be to forget the FG outside the 30 and go for it. Heck you might score 7 points. Of course, Lobo would run it up the middle or throw a backwards pass that loses 15 yds!

Can somebody remind me of a point today where we went for a FG when we should have gone for a TD?

Is going for it on 4th and 17 a higher percentage play than trying a 47 yard FG? Is going for it on 4th and 7 a higher percentage play than trying a 32 yarder to make it a two-score game with eight minutes left?

Is anyone really questioning that those were the right calls?

They were definitely the right calls. In fact, I would have probably preferred that we kick it on the 4th and 1 as well.

The funny thing about Newman is that he's normally pretty reliable but when he does miss it almost always comes back and bites us in the ass.

Yeah, Grobe didn't want to score a TD there throwing in on 2nd and 3rd down.

agree. grobe should be fired for not finding another swank. kickers like him are a dime a dozen.

You miss the point. If you are going to play conservative football and usually go for the FG, you better have a great kicker. Well we have a pretty good kicker inside the 30 yd line, but otherwise not so good. His first attempt today was awful. If you don't have the great kicker, maybe you change your approach, not just on the 4th down play, but those before it.

Newman coming into this game 15-17 (6-7 from 30-39 and 2-3 from 40-49).

That's a reliable college kicker and better stats than Swank had here for a couple of his years.

I don't see how Grobe could have the foresight to know that his kicker who has been reliable all year wasn't really a reliable kicker.

Last edited:
sam was an ironman but he missed a couple here and there for the game as well.

Newman is one of the better kickers in college football.

grobe for life!!! you see how he plays these undisciplined teams oozing with talent close simply by having wake play smart, mistake free football? grobe > jimbo; grobe > dabo

You miss the point. If you are going to play conservative football and usually go for the FG, you better have a great kicker. Well we have a pretty good kicker inside the 30 yd line, but otherwise not so good. His first attempt today was awful. If you don't have the great kicker, maybe you change your approach, not just on the 4th down play, but those before it.

actually i don't miss the point. i 100% agree that having steller kickers and punters are a huge key to grobe's being successful. i also know that plack and swank were among the best ACC players of all time at their positions. so to think that grobe isn't trying hard enough to get top P and K's is comical...he knows far better than you and I that we need top kickers. the issue is finding them and getting them to commit. newman is a hell of a kicker, actually. if the game isn't on the line, there is no one else i'd rather have.

Grobe trust in his kicker goes back to him being so conservative he's risky.

Back