• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Special Teams

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Who coaches? All aspects have been terrible this year. Stan commented on the radio we might as well kick it out of bounds as poor as the kickoff return coverage has been.

Look at the entire season of work. Seasons of work. Nice individual performance by Camp to find the sideline and outrun the coverage.

True...I was just trying to be an ass. But yeah you're right. Our kicking game as been pathetic since Swank hurt his groin back in '08.

Camp's punt return makes you think about what the hell took them so long to put him back there?

hammy1.gif

Totally agree with the tenor of this thread and been saying it every game. Special Teams have probably cost us two games this year, but affected all of them negatively, and it has to be coaching on some level. I don't know the special teams coach, but this area has to get much better!

I guess you could argue that Wake's lack of depth affects our ability to play great special teams. All of our best players are starting, our freshmen are redshirting, our redshirt freshmen are still growing into FBS-ready players who are seeing the field for the first time.

The kicking and punting have just been bad too many times this season though.

Other teams tacklers seem to be much further down the field when our returners catch the ball on kickoffs, then ours do when we kick off. Since I think we've got pretty good speed, I assume it's because Newman isn't getting the hang time on his kickoffs that other kickers are getting.

We might have the worst place kicker and punter in Division I this year. When is the Aussie gonna be ready?

I guess you could argue that Wake's lack of depth affects our ability to play great special teams. All of our best players are starting, our freshmen are redshirting, our redshirt freshmen are still growing into FBS-ready players who are seeing the field for the first time.

The kicking and punting have just been bad too many times this season though.

A few years back, Gattis and Vaughn made their name on special teams before stepping up on D. Gattis is probably the best special teams coverage guy in the Grobe era.

A few years back, Gattis and Vaughn made their name on special teams before stepping up on D. Gattis is probably the best special teams coverage guy in the Grobe era.

So our team is better when we have future NFL-players in reserve positions. I'll go along with that.

We might have the worst place kicker and punter in Division I this year. When is the Aussie gonna be ready?

Can't imagine either of the freshman kickers would lose their shirt at this point of the season. FWIW Wuffleck had a great game Saturday with an avg. of 43.8 yards on 5 punts. He also got burned on the first one that should have been down at the 1.

Just isn't true. Place kicker is above average, with a couple of really poorly timed missed kicks (nobody can argue that). Wulfeck is below average, but not anywhere near the worst. He has also greatly improved the last 2-3 weeks with I believe 3 punts downed inside the 5, and one that should have been.

Back