• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rulz - a little help here...

1976Deac

Reaction score
I hear you might have the inside track on offensive line matters. To the extent you can share with us, how are we looking next season on the o-line, when we lose all of these senior offensive linemen?

Maybe I'm guessing but I'm gonna assume Ruiz has a positive outlook of our o line. It will be hairy and big next year. Love softball questions

Next year's line will be bigger, stronger, and younger. I don't know what this means, but I don't really trust Lobo to develop the line given what we've seen the last few years.

I was really hoping our O brain trust would find a way to work Daniel and some of the RF linemen into games to get some experience. Outside of Summers, that has not happened save the Gardner Webb game.

68 Colin Summers OG 6-5 320 RS FR RS Raleigh, NC (Broughton)
76 Daniel Blitch OT 6-6 310 FR RS Gainesville, GA (North Hall)
59 Antonio Ford OG 6-3 315 RS FR RS Pahokee, FL (Pahokee)

Gotta believe these guys will continue to bulk up and they're already roughly the same size as the starters.

Then the true freshmen:

71 Hunter Goodwin OT 6-6 290 FR HS Baltimore, MD (Gilman School)
72 Cody Preble OT 6-5 315 FR HS Lake Worth, FL (Park Vista)

I'm excited

Offensive line has a lot to do with coaching. The line has to be more reliable than it has over the past 2-3 years (and maybe longer than that).

People can quote weights and bench presses all they want. Until there's some change in how the O-Line is coached, I won't be confident that it'll be any good at all.

I've been a longtime advocate of Lobo going back to JUST coaching the O-line with someone else taking over OC duties. The offensive line is a complicated unit in terms of schemes and preparation. When a coach is responsible for OL and being the OC, they're stretched way too thin and can't devote the best resources to both. The OC needs to be someone with a smaller unit of players to worry about, like the QB Coach or WR Coach.

68 Colin Summers OG 6-5 320 RS FR RS Raleigh, NC (Broughton)
76 Daniel Blitch OT 6-6 310 FR RS Gainesville, GA (North Hall)
59 Antonio Ford OG 6-3 315 RS FR RS Pahokee, FL (Pahokee)

Gotta believe these guys will continue to bulk up and they're already roughly the same size as the starters.

Then the true freshmen:

71 Hunter Goodwin OT 6-6 290 FR HS Baltimore, MD (Gilman School)
72 Cody Preble OT 6-5 315 FR HS Lake Worth, FL (Park Vista)

I'm excited

Me too. There's a lot of talent to go along with that size.

People can quote weights and bench presses all they want. Until there's some change in how the O-Line is coached, I won't be confident that it'll be any good at all.

I've been a longtime advocate of Lobo going back to JUST coaching the O-line with someone else taking over OC duties. The offensive line is a complicated unit in terms of schemes and preparation. When a coach is responsible for OL and being the OC, they're stretched way too thin and can't devote the best resources to both. The OC needs to be someone with a smaller unit of players to worry about, like the QB Coach or WR Coach.

I tend to agree that Coach Lobotzke should either do offensive line coaching or OC duty.

Good post BBD.

My feeling on the matter is that as well as WF has recruited the OL recently, and Grobes inclination to always play the elder statesman if the two players talent are generally equal that WF really won't see much of a dropoff in the line besides with LG, cause Looney is just a MAN. I really think with the playing time Chase has gotten as well as the talk the younger guys have gotten that the WF OL will only continue to improve. That of course is given that LOBO is not being spread to thin and is giving them the time they need to mature and improve.

On the other hand, there's not much any offensive line coach can do with undersized offensive linemen. That is a lot a beef. In this instance the glass is half full as far as I am concerned.

LT Steve Chase
LG Garrick Williams
C Chance Raines
RG Summers - eta he looks like a beast out there
RT Blitch

Of course we could go with G Williams at Center, but that means a little less experience and Ford at LG probably.

The above line has pretty good experience, except RT.

If OL can get it done - only worry is TE.

Last edited:
Based on the NFL caliber talent we've had on the line in the past few years, the output on the field has been less than inspiring.

Whatever optimistic things people post now, they'll just post "youth" over and over again if the young guys don't perform.

With so many young OL in the program, I'd really like to see them get more individual coaching. No way are they getting as much as they should now with Lobo split so many ways.

The OL is such a large unit. Does anybody know of any staffs that have a co-OL coach or 2nd OL coach? Didn't our staff split things into interior OL and OT/TE at one point or am I making things up?

Whatever optimistic things people post now, they'll just post "youth" over and over again if the young guys don't perform.

With so many young OL in the program, I'd really like to see them get more individual coaching. No way are they getting as much as they should now with Lobo split so many ways.

The OL is such a large unit. Does anybody know of any staffs that have a co-OL coach or 2nd OL coach? Didn't our staff split things into interior OL and OT/TE at one point or am I making things up?

So you're saying that "youth" could not be a problem??? I agree that the O-Line screams for a coach dedicated solely to them...

I'm saying that we have posters who hype up young players and then go to the youth excuse when they don't pan out.

Back