• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Tailgate

RacerDeac

#iwasright #rjlies
Reaction score
What's on tap tailgaters?

I'm planning Maryland pit beef sandwiches....rare thin-sliced beef piled high on a roll with horseradish and white onion. Hoping to fry up some hand-cut fries to go along with them. Their were rumors of steamed oysters, but I don't know whether we'll do those again this year. Would love to steam blue crabs, but I'm not sure where to get them this far West.

Thinking about chili, but it may be warm enough to wait for Vandy for that. I might go with a flank steak.

Would love to steam blue crabs, but I'm not sure where to get them this far West.
To be honest, I dont know of anywhere around the dash that sells them live.

Turkey Legs
154098_176964515666238_175983369097686_483651_7410057_n.jpg

I really wanted to do these when the fair was in town, but this game will have to do.

Wasn't sure what I was going to have for lunch. Now I know....hitting up the best pit beef in Baltimore IMO (not Chaps thats always on the food network shows either)

Thinking about chili, but it may be warm enough to wait for Vandy for that. I might go with a flank steak.

Yeah, I was thinking of chili for Vandy as well. Something "easy" since I will have already cooked a bunch for Thanksgiving. Flank steak sounds good...that's usually a staple for us, but I don't think we've done it this season.

Turkey Legs

Where do you get your legs? I went looking before the VT game but didn't come up with a good source.

Wasn't sure what I was going to have for lunch. Now I know....hitting up the best pit beef in Baltimore IMO (not Chaps thats always on the food network shows either)

What's your take on "authentic"? Pepper/salt only on the beef? Or is garlic allowed? Horseradish sauce and white onion? On a kaiser roll or on rye? I've had them a few different ways, and the recipes online are all over the map.

Kaiser roll is what most places serve it on anymore, spices beyond salt/pepper are whatever floats your fancy, onion and good old tiger sauce (same thing- horseradish/mayonnaise mixture. Heavier on the horseradish the better) I always toss on extra salt/pepper on the sandwich itself.

Some people prefer BBQ sauce as an option.

Thanks. I've never made them myself, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Rare seared beef, basic seasonings, and some heat = good.

Last summer my friend's dad made it for the first time and it turned out pretty well. Its not too terribly difficult to cook from what I've gathered.

Last summer my friend's dad made it for the first time and it turned out pretty well. Its not too terribly difficult to cook from what I've gathered.

Easy to cook as long as you're working with charcoal. Direct sear for a few minutes to get the crust and then move over to indirect until the middle of the roast temps out on the bottom of the rare scale. Pull from the heat, rest for 10-15 and thin slice really thin against the grain.

The ultimate would be to have a rotisserie setup on your charcoal grill...have one on my amazon list, just waiting for someone to buy it for me. :D

Shuler Meats in Thomasville. You have to buy them by the case (30 legs).

Thanks. I'll have to remember that for next season. Have you found a good recipe? Rub/marinade/inject or just get all of the flavor from smoke?

Last edited:
We use a standard poultry rub. Mrstsy makes it, and she wont let me know whats in it other than Cumin. I only know that because I helped her make it once.

We use a standard poultry rub. Mrstsy makes it, and she wont let me know whats in it other than Cumin. I only know that because I helped her make it once.

Ha, nice. I bet even just a standard salt/pepper/garlic rub like we use on our fried turkey would be enough to add some flavor and let the smoke do the rest.

There's a joke in there using the words leg, rub, and cumin.

Back