• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting BCS Possibilities

Shorty

Boomer Boy
Reaction score
Was listening to ESPN radio this morning and they were talking about what could be an incredibly interesting BCS game scenario.

What would happen if LSU were to lose a game, either to Arkansas or in the SEC title game, probably with Georgia? They will be favored in both games, but it's not at all inconceivable that they could lose one of them. The SEC game is in the Georgia Dome. Would Alabama, who they beat, jump them? Would Oregon, who they also beat, jump them?

And what if OKST were to lose to OK, very possible IMO. Who would the BCS put in the championship game then?

If LSU and OKST win out, it's obviously a no-brainer. If one of them loses, it will get real interesting and will come down to the voters. If both of them lose, it's a free-for-all. There could potentially be as many as six one loss teams, all of whom have beaten one of the other one loss teams during the course of the season. That would be fun.

My vote is for chaos to reign supreme. Blow the BCS system up and go to a playoff.

I think if Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, they move into the national championship game against LSU. If LSU loses to either Arkansas or Georgia, that's when things get really interesting.

I think if Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, they move into the national championship game against LSU. If LSU loses to either Arkansas or Georgia, that's when things get really interesting.

I'm biased, of course, but after losing at home to Texas Tech (not nearly as impressive as in OT at home vs. LSU), not sure that makes sense. This column agrees with you, though:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/16/oklahoma-bcs-mailbag/?xid=cnnbin

I just don't understand how the team with the worst loss (at home) of all the one-loss teams should get bumped into the #2 spot.

Oklahoma should not be near this argument. Hell I'd rather Clemson or VT get in if they win out. At least their one-loss was against another Top 10-15 team.

Was listening to ESPN radio this morning and they were talking about what could be an incredibly interesting BCS game scenario.

What would happen if LSU were to lose a game, either to Arkansas or in the SEC title game, probably with Georgia? They will be favored in both games, but it's not at all inconceivable that they could lose one of them. The SEC game is in the Georgia Dome. Would Alabama, who they beat, jump them? Would Oregon, who they also beat, jump them?

And what if OKST were to lose to OK, very possible IMO. Who would the BCS put in the championship game then?

If LSU and OKST win out, it's obviously a no-brainer. If one of them loses, it will get real interesting and will come down to the voters. If both of them lose, it's a free-for-all. There could potentially be as many as six one loss teams, all of whom have beaten one of the other one loss teams during the course of the season. That would be fun.

If both lose it is cluster fuck city. Especially if LSU loses to Arkansas - who Alabama beat easily. Let's presume OK State loses to OU to make it that much worse.

You'd have these 1 loss teams.

OU lost to TT
Okie State lost to OU and destroyed TT
Alabama lost to LSU in OT
LSU lost to Arkansas who Alabama destroyed
Oregon lost to LSU in the first game of the season badly
Stanford lost to Oregon badly
Arkansas who would have beaten LSU but been destroyed by Alabama

Those are your contendas. Forget about Boise State.

On all of that information I'd pick Alabama as one team. They'd have beaten one of the others and lost to one in OT. But then I'm at a loss for what to do.

It is hard to pick Oregon because they lost badly to LSU. But then again they are the only team to beat two top 6 teams. But to me they are out because their schedule was the weakest.

You can forget about Stanford because of their schedule.

So that leaves LSU, Arkansas, Okie State and OU.

I think you have to dump OU because their loss would have been to TT.

That leaves me with trying to pick from LSU, Arkansas and Okie State based on how badly they suffered in their one loss. Arkansas is probably out because Bama whacked them around. So LSU and Okie State - who plays their loss the closest would probably get my vote.

What a mess.

What is the SEC West tiebreaker if Arkansas beats LSU, and LSU, Arkansas and Bama are all 7-1 after the regular season?

I ask because, if LSU loses to Arkansas, and then either one loss Bama or one loss Arkansas loses to GA in the SECCG, the other not playing in the SECCG will play in BCS CG. So, in that scenario, it would be better to be the team that loses the tie-breaker, which further demonstrates how dumb the process is.

If Arkansas is somehow the team that wins the tie-breaker, I would think that one loss LSU would get the nod over one loss Bama for the BCS CG even though neither won the SEC (because LSU played the tougher OOC schedule and beat Bama head to head at Bama).

From what I've read and heard, if Arkansas beats LSU and it ends up a three-way tie then I believe Bama would get the nod for the SEC title game. I'm assuming this is based on the assumption that they would be the highest ranked team in the BCS.

Last edited:
If both lose it is cluster fuck city. Especially if LSU loses to Arkansas - who Alabama beat easily. Let's presume OK State loses to OU to make it that much worse.

You'd have these 1 loss teams.

OU lost to TT
Okie State lost to OU and destroyed TT
Alabama lost to LSU in OT
LSU lost to Arkansas who Alabama destroyed
Oregon lost to LSU in the first game of the season badly
Stanford lost to Oregon badly
Arkansas who would have beaten LSU but been destroyed by Alabama

Those are your contendas. Forget about Boise State.

On all of that information I'd pick Alabama as one team. They'd have beaten one of the others and lost to one in OT. But then I'm at a loss for what to do.

It is hard to pick Oregon because they lost badly to LSU. But then again they are the only team to beat two top 6 teams. But to me they are out because their schedule was the weakest.

You can forget about Stanford because of their schedule.

So that leaves LSU, Arkansas, Okie State and OU.

I think you have to dump OU because their loss would have been to TT.

That leaves me with trying to pick from LSU, Arkansas and Okie State based on how badly they suffered in their one loss. Arkansas is probably out because Bama whacked them around. So LSU and Okie State - who plays their loss the closest would probably get my vote.

What a mess.

That LSU Oregon game was a long time ago. And IIRC, either James or their QB was hurt during that game and they had to play without them for the rest of the game.

it would be awesome for a Bama-Oregon game, which would hopefully be the ultimate undoing of the BCS with LSU sitting out after beating those 2.

That LSU Oregon game was a long time ago. And IIRC, either James or their QB was hurt during that game and they had to play without them for the rest of the game.

Plus first game, huge stage, that speeding bullet true freshman fumbled twice.....

If LSU and OSU lose, I could easily see Bama v Oregon in the MNC.....

From what I've read and heard, if Arkansas beats LSU and it ends up a three-way tie then I believe Bama would get the nod for the SEC title game. I'm assuming this is based on the assumption that they would be the highest ranked team in the BCS.

My understanding of how this works is below. I admit I could be misinformed.

The SEC does a really odd tiebreaker where if there are three teams tied in a division and they all lost to each other then the highest ranked team in the BCS goes to the championship game UNLESS all three teams are ranked within 6 spots of each other. If all three teams are ranked within 6 spots of each other, then the winner of the head to head matchup of the two highest ranked teams determines who goes to the championship.

Therefore, the question of who would go, would depend on where they are all ranked.

My understanding of how this works is below. I admit I could be misinformed.

The SEC does a really odd tiebreaker where if there are three teams tied in a division and they all lost to each other then the highest ranked team in the BCS goes to the championship game UNLESS all three teams are ranked within 6 spots of each other. If all three teams are ranked within 6 spots of each other, then the winner of the head to head matchup of the two highest ranked teams determines who goes to the championship.

Therefore, the question of who would go, would depend on where they are all ranked.

The tie breaking format doesn't matter in the situation of LSU losing to Arkansas.....Bama will go.

Plus first game, huge stage, that speeding bullet true freshman fumbled twice.....

If LSU and OSU lose, I could easily see Bama v Oregon in the MNC.....

This was mentioned in the Oregon-Stanford thread, but Oregon should not play a tough team week 1. Their offense relies on such timing that it is nearly impossible to be 100% in week 1. I really think if Oregon played LSU this week, the score would be much closer, and Oregon might win. They are very good. Difference between this Oregon team and last years is Oregon has had few turnovers this year. They have 17, but have forced 10 in the past 3 weeks. Defense is getting better.

Diego - that's not even remotely true.

The bottom team in the BCS ranking will - in all likelihood - get dropped, leaving the head-to-head winner of the remaining two to go to Atlanta.

For Bama to win the tiebreaker, they have to hope that Arkansas jumps LSU AND LSU falls below Alabama. If Arkansas wins a close one, it's possible that only one of those criteria is met.

OU easily would have the worst loss out of any one-loss team. They would also, however, have the best win or wins if they were to beat OSU and win out. Worst losses are usually what people look at though, but not always. The computers are better at balancing losses versus the wins.

If LSU loses the SEC CG, they are still in, IMO. If they lose to Arky, then doesn't it come down to a 3 way tie between them, Bama, and Arky over who represents the SEC west? That team would obviously have the leg up for the BCS CG.

I think it's all a moot point as LSU will win out and so will the aggies, and LSU will cruise in the BCS CG against OSU.

This was mentioned in the Oregon-Stanford thread, but Oregon should not play a tough team week 1. Their offense relies on such timing that it is nearly impossible to be 100% in week 1. I really think if Oregon played LSU this week, the score would be much closer, and Oregon might win. They are very good. Difference between this Oregon team and last years is Oregon has had few turnovers this year. They have 17, but have forced 10 in the past 3 weeks. Defense is getting better.

Yeah agreed that they need time to get the offense clicking, im just saying the powers that be have a lot of justifiable reasons to put Oregon in the MNC if all that is left is a bunch of one loss teams....

Diego - that's not even remotely true.

The bottom team in the BCS ranking will - in all likelihood - get dropped, leaving the head-to-head winner of the remaining two to go to Atlanta.

For Bama to win the tiebreaker, they have to hope that Arkansas jumps LSU AND LSU falls below Alabama. If Arkansas wins a close one, it's possible that only one of those criteria is met.

Well I guess it isn't remotely true. I just figured it would come down to rankings, and in that situation Bama would be ranked ahead of both LSU and Arkansas.....

so, to ensure maximum chaos, you're saying I should pull for arkansas to beat LSU and then UGa to beat down whichever one of the three gets invited to the SEC championship game while simultaneously pulling for OU to beat OSU? I can get behind that

so, to ensure maximum chaos, you're saying I should pull for arkansas to beat LSU and then UGa to beat down whichever one of the three gets invited to the SEC championship game while simultaneously pulling for OU to beat OSU? I can get behind that

Actually, I think this scenario brings some clarity, because it would mean that the SECW representative to the SECCG would end up with two losses. I think it would make an Oregon/Oklahoma match-up the obvious choice for the BCSCG, assuming that Oregon wins out. It's a tough argument to make to send a 1-loss SECW runner-up to the BCSCG over the division representative since that second loss came in a game only afforded to the tiebreak winner.

Back