• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is there something to this "change in chemistry"?

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
There has been a lot made of our team's chemistry this year and lack of it last year. Mike Gminski said several times last night that he could literally "feel" the difference between this year's team and last year's team. Granted, it's VERY early and we have wins over one horrible team and one below average team. However, I think I can tell a difference just in body language. Our guys seem to be playing harder, seem to have a better attitude and seem to be in a better mental place than at any time last year. Will this translate to more wins? If not, will it devolve into poor attitude and poor play when the losses pile up? I don't know. But I do know that I like what I see so far. I am not ready to jump on the "change of culture" bandwagon just yet but the early returns seem to show us headed in the right direction. I will take that.

Just an observation from a Sunshiner

#BUZZWAITANDSEE

I'm not the biggest Buzz supporter, however I completely buy into the idea that the makeup of our team needed a change. We had too many cancers for too many years. We're most likely going to suck this year, but at least we'll play together.

Its been a while since I've been able to say that.

I agree. Surprisingly, CJ is actually the person who seems to be dragging and refusing to have fun...I'm sure it'll change.

There's no question that Melvin was a cancer last year.

Ari thought he'd be going pro and when the reality set in, he quit on the team. But we had to play him due personnel deficiencies.

Getting rid of them gave us a chance to be a team.

I agree that you could see the difference as effort was there for a good part of the game. It lagged at other times but was still much better than last year. I think that CJ is trying too hard and feels like he has to carry this team which is why he's not playing as loose as last year. Seems like he's trying to force it often. Fortunately, he has the ability to outdo himself in that regard.

There's no question that Melvin was a cancer last year.

Ari thought he'd be going pro and when the reality set in, he quit on the team. But we had to play him due personnel deficiencies.

Getting rid of them gave us a chance to be a team.

talking in absolutes again honey?

There has been a lot made of our team's chemistry this year and lack of it last year. Mike Gminski said several times last night that he could literally "feel" the difference between this year's team and last year's team. Granted, it's VERY early and we have wins over one horrible team and one below average team. However, I think I can tell a difference just in body language. Our guys seem to be playing harder, seem to have a better attitude and seem to be in a better mental place than at any time last year. Will this translate to more wins? If not, will it devolve into poor attitude and poor play when the losses pile up? I don't know. But I do know that I like what I see so far. I am not ready to jump on the "change of culture" bandwagon just yet but the early returns seem to show us headed in the right direction. I will take that.

Just an observation from a Sunshiner

#BUZZWAITANDSEE
..........Mike Gminski said several times last night that he could literally "feel" the difference between this year's team and last year's team. Granted, it's VERY early and we have wins over one horrible team and one below average team. However, I think I can tell a difference just in body language.

Readdress this in January, time will tell.

I agree that you could see the difference as effort was there for a good part of the game. It lagged at other times but was still much better than last year. I think that CJ is trying too hard and feels like he has to carry this team which is why he's not playing as loose as last year. Seems like he's trying to force it often. Fortunately, he has the ability to outdo himself in that regard.

That's my thought, too. He'll get over it. I'm not worried.

Wins probably feel good to these guys after last year, regardless of the opponent.

We'll see how great our chemistry is after we start getting smoked by ACC teams. Not saying it won't still be there, but I'm skeptical.

hopefully Ty Walker doesn't mess up the good chemistry when he returns. AS a sidenote, the only thing I'm hoping for out of Walker when he returns is that he a) not be a total headcase and mess up chemistry b) graduate on time to help our grad. rate. Anything other than that is a bonus.

i also agree that they seem to be playing harder than last year and the chemistry is getting there...rest assured, this is still going to be a very long season! we essentially have only 2 scorers and Chase, which will be determined after a few more games. we will need to find ways to work against the zone defenses.

i also agree that they seem to be playing harder than last year and the chemistry is getting there...rest assured, this is still going to be a very long season! we essentially have only 2 scorers and Chase, which will be determined after a few more games. we will need to find ways to work against the zone defenses.

Nikita and Tony are at least showing they can get themselves to the line. Maybe not against better defenders, but who knows.

Some of GaSouthern's steals and fastbreaks really make me concerned for the future. January 19th and 31st loom like a huge bottle of Ipicac that we're all going to chug. That's the only chemistry I'm thinking about right now. Will be happily proven wrong.

Hope so, but the boys haven't really been tested yet so it is hard to know.

I actually think Loyola will prove to be a decent win. No doubt GSU is terrible but they did return 4 starters from last year.

agreed! right now all i want is for us to win the games that we should (pre-season easy games), like we failed to do last season. from what i have seen so far a 1-15 ACC run is possible...

just win baby!!!

yes.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e387fcba970b-800wi

Back