• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Astros to Al West in 2013

timthedeac

Reaction score
I know it's been mentioned in some of the baseball threads, but it deserves it's own thread now that it's official

I would've much rather seen Milwaukee to AL Central, Kansas City to Al West. But overall, it's good to see 6 equal divisions of 5 teams.

I understand why they did it and it has clear benefits, but I regret that inter-league play will become the norm rather than the exception.

I agree that Milwaukee returning to the AL made sense, but I dont think Selig wanted to see it, so it never had a chance.

I understand why they did it and it has clear benefits, but I regret that inter-league play will become the norm rather than the exception.

I agree that Milwaukee returning to the AL made sense, but I dont think Selig wanted to see it, so it never had a chance.

Why is that?

I know it's been mentioned in some of the baseball threads, but it deserves it's own thread now that it's official

I would've much rather seen Milwaukee to AL Central, Kansas City to Al West. But overall, it's good to see 6 equal divisions of 5 teams.

There was NO way they were going to break up the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals. Zippo chance on that one. No matter how bad the Brewers may be in a given year, when the Cubs come to town they are filled to the rafters. Right now that is not an issue for the Crew because they are really good, but that too will cycle. Two teams 90 miles apart in this part of the country is not the norm. The only thing that would make it even better for MLB would to be to throw the Twins into the NL Central. Their rivalry with the White Sox is good, but it would be that much better with the Brewers and the Cubs.

Heck, they could realign in a major way and really create a much better set up for the fans.

Florida
Tampa
Atlanta
DC
Baltimore

St. Louis
Chicago
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minnesota

KC
Denver
Arizona
Texas
Houston

Anaheim
LA
SD
SF
Oakland
Seattle (sucks but you need a 6 teamer to make this really work - and Seattle is to hell and back for every other team anyway)

Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Toronto
New York
New York
Boston
Philly

Last edited:
Because whenever the Cubs come to town the Brewers sell out. In the AL Central they would have zero fan bases that would travel to their home games.

Brewers haven't really needed much help selling tickets in recent years. They've finished in the top third in recent years.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

As somebody else said, it's more about the rivalries between the Brewers, Cards, and Cubs.

There was NO way they were going to break up the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals. Zippo chance on that one. No matter how bad the Brewers may be in a given year, when the Cubs come to town they are filled to the rafters. Right now that is not an issue for the Crew because they are really good, but that too will cycle. Two teams 90 miles apart in this part of the country is not the norm. The only thing that would make it even better for MLB would to be to throw the Twins into the NL Central. Their rivalry with the White Sox is good, but it would be that much better with the Brewers and the Cubs.

Heck, they could realign in a major way and really create a much better set up for the fans.

Florida
Tampa
Atlanta
DC
Baltimore

St. Louis
Chicago
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minnesota

KC
Denver
Arizona
Texas
Houston

Anaheim
LA
SD
SF
Oakland
Seattle (sucks but you need a 6 teamer to make this really work - and Seattle is to hell and back for every other team anyway)

Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Toronto
New York
New York
Boston
Philly

Why not go to an East/West conference thing, where all teams in East are in a conference, and all teams in west are in a conference, with no divisions, best 4 teams in each conference makes playoffs. Less travel, and less inequity from imbalanced schedules.

Why not go to an East/West conference thing, where all teams in East are in a conference, and all teams in west are in a conference, with no divisions, best 4 teams in each conference makes playoffs. Less travel, and less inequity from imbalanced schedules.

So, something like this? Not sure I like it better than the more regionalized divisions. Maybe you do a hybrid.

EAST

New York
New York
Philly
Pittsburgh
Boston
Toronto
Cincy
Cleveland
Detroit
DC
Baltimore
Atlanta
Florida
Tampa
Houston

WEST

Chicago
Chicago
St. Louis
Milwaukee
Minnesota
KC
Colorado
SD
SF
Oakland
Anaheim
Arizona
LA
Seattle
Texas

Florida
Tampa
Atlanta
DC
Baltimore

St. Louis
Chicago
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minnesota

KC
Denver
Arizona
Texas
Houston

Anaheim
LA
SD
SF
Oakland

Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Toronto
New York
New York
Boston
Philly

Sucks for Toronto and the Mets...

Does the Astros moving to the AL have any impact on how they may have drafted and traded up to this point? Have they focused on drafting pitchers that can hit and bunt well while passing on other pitchers because they were an NL team? Just curious.

If they want more parity, they need to go to a balanced schedule. But we all know our Red Sox and Yankee overlords will never allow that.

Have they focused on drafting pitchers that can hit and bunt well while passing on other pitchers because they were an NL team? Just curious.

I have never heard of a team drafting a pitcher because he can hit or passing on a pitcher because he can't hit, so I don't think that is an issue.

The astros draft's have been so terrible recently maybe they were focusing on drafting good hitting pitchers, cause they sure cant pitch.

Back