• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACCCG to Change its Name

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
...to the ACC Invitational.

The Conference sent its goon-in-residence to "@Clemson" the Thursday night game in order to protect the brand. Not that I suspect many tears will be shed for the Heels on this board, but the treatment Wake got at Clemson was in full effect last night.

Ron Cherry's crew was throwing everything they could think of on the Heels last night. Defensive PI thrown late and after a third down stop on a ball thrown fifteen feet over the heads of the colliding defenders, blowing plays dead where the ball came loose, and most tellingly, very opportune, post-result holding and offensive pass interference penalties; each nullifying big plays. The home, ticket-consuming, top ten team played nearly mistake free football in the eyes of the refs, being flagged for a mere two penalties for the game.

When the flags finally stopped flying, the ACC got their CG of choice. Don't let the endlines in Clemson, the catchable ball rule or your own self-respect get in the way, ACC.

Soulless prostitutes pity this Conference's integrity.

bizarre-referee-call.jpg

how does Ron Cherry still have a job? He has been giving a few teams in the ACC "the business" for far too long.

I hate all that is UNC, so I'm the last person to want to think something that negatively affected UNC was wrong, but the catch that was initially ruled a catch in the first half and then over-ruled by officials not even in position to make the call and then upheld by the replay booth was pathetic. UNC got Sanduskied on that one for sure, the receiver got a foot down. I not usually much of a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sure the ACC brass wants a Va. Tech v. Clemson title game and between the screwjob we got at Clemson last week and the screwjob UNC got last night, it makes you wonder.

The receiver appeared to not have full possession when he hit the ground out of bounds on that play.

They did get screwed on the fumble that wasn't called or reviewed though. Oh well, welcome to the club Heels.

That "catch" on the sidelines wasn't close. He may have dragged a heel, however the receiver clearly trapped the ball when it/he hit the ground.

Didn't have a problem with that one at all.

Last edited:
The receiver appeared to not have full possession when he hit the ground out of bounds on that play.

They did get screwed on the fumble that wasn't called or reviewed though. Oh well, welcome to the club Heels.

I wasn't bothered by the catch on the sidelines. It looked pretty bang-bang. You're not going to get every close call, and you're certainly not going to get them on the road. That one doesn't bother me. It's the ones that aren't close (the pass interference that sailed twenty feet in the air over the collision) or look premeditated (pulling back first downs or extending drives) that undermine the legitimacy of the outcome.

As a Carolina grad I'll be the first to admit it runs the other way in basketball. Let there be no doubt: the ACC Network plays the hits.

It's been an interesting to watch my two schools get gooned by the ACC five days a part. I've started to rationalize the unapologetic cheating: unapologetic cheating gets t.v. ratings, t.v. ratings get t.v. coverage. T.V. coverage means I can see the Deacs play on the road from the comfort of the couch.

All in all, we've certainly seen worse in college sports in the last two weeks, but I would like it if the ACC was a little more discreet and preserve the veneer of authenticity. The announcers were killing the refs last night. ESPN actually tweeting "No curious calls this time" after Va Tech's third touchdown. It was noteworthy that that was noteworthy.

The ACC wants to do everything they can to have a top 10 match-up for the ACC title game I guess, I guess us and UNC were just the unlucky ones to bend over in the shower over the last week. Maybe SC will beat Clemson to take some steam out of them and if UVa can beat FSU this weekend they could still crash the party. Of course UVa will probably get gang raped by the officials if it comes down to their game vs. Va. Tech.

The ACC cheats. They are doing it because they think they will make more money that way. People who do not see this are simply being naive. Butch Davis for the next ACC commissioner!

The way I see it, no Carolina fan/alum can complain about getting jobbed by the refs in any sport considering the number of times they job everyone else during basketball season.

I agree with the OP.

There was almost no way in hell the ACC was going to allow Wake over Clemson in the ACCCG. The Clemson receiver, CLEARLY out of bounds before returning in-bounds, to make the TD catch is but one example.

The ACC is pretty desperate to prove it can be a big boy conference in football. Wake unseating Clemson would have been a total disaster for the boys in charge.

Back