• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2011 Chicago Cubs Thread

well, it may be closer than I thought but chris carter isnt even close to an average defender, he's absolutely atrocious.

That surprised me when you told me on gchat.

It's close and hinges on if 2009 or 2010 Soriano shows up.

You think the Bulls have a better OF than Soriano/Byrd/Colvin?

Cubs' outfield is a question mark, IMO. Soriano is a shell of the player he was 5 years ago. Byrd is very solid, but hitting in the 3 spot? Colvin could really give the team a lift if he hits more consistently.

Colvin will be better this year. I'm cautiously optimistic about the season. I just want us to be competitive and have a shot at the playoffs (albeit even an outside one).

The Cubs are terrible they wont win more than 75 games.

cautiously optimistic about this season.

Quade might not be the most glamorous hire around - but the end of last season has given me enough hope that this team can be reasonably competitive.

how much longer until there will be no person who was alive the last time the cubs won the series

I bet we hit the 80 win mark.

Like you'd bet real money on that? Cause I'll take that bet. Or an aviator bet. Also a Rays vs. Cubbies bet if you prefer. After all, you did get two of our VERY important vets according to the MSM.

Like you'd bet real money on that? Cause I'll take that bet. Or an aviator bet. Also a Rays vs. Cubbies bet if you prefer. After all, you did get two of our VERY important vets according to the MSM.

Y'all will finish with around 85, we will get around 80. I'd do an aviator bet sure...but not against the Rays, just the Cubs vs. 80.

That's a pretty good bet IMO. Should be interesting.

The Dumpster gets things started on Friday against the Pirates.

We need to have a better team OBP to get to 80.

They are in an inbetween spot right now. There are questions at just about every position. The Soriano contract hangs heavy. Colvin was really bad down the stretch. Have pitchers figured him out. Will ARam rebound as this is the last year of his contract. Will Pena hit. Which version of Soto will we get. Was Fukudome's tear at the end of last season a sign he's finally really adjusted or will he just continue to be servicable. Has Castro's D improved? Can DeWitt field at all. Assuming he doesn't play everyday, how does second really look. Was Z's end of the year for real or is he going to flounder. Is there even an ace on the staff? How good is the bullpen (every team has to ask this one admittedly).

They could compete, but an awful lot of things have to fall into place for it to happen. They are a club in transition and it will take a few years before I think we'll head into a season where the number of questions is more manageable.

Headed to the Twins vs. A's next Sunday. Pretty pumped as Target Field is just an awesome experience.

Back