• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2011 Chicago Cubs Thread

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
The 2011 CUBS and rest of the NL Central Thread

Cubs fans unite, its our year!

I couldn't sleep this morning and decided to beef up on my Cubs opening day knowledge. Anyways I came across a seemingly reliable online article listing the opening day roster.

http://chicagocubsonline.com/archiv...+Chicagocubsonlinecom+(ChicagoCubsOnline.com)

The 25-man Roster

With Monday's roster moves, the Cubs 25-man Opening Day roster is set.

Pitchers (12)

Starting Rotation (5)

Ryan Dempster
Carlos Zambrano
Matt Garza
Randy Wells
Andrew Cashner

Bullpen (7)

Carlos Marmol
Kerry Wood
Sean Marshall
John Grabow
Jeff Samardzija
James Russell
Marcos Mateo

Catchers (2)

Geovany Soto
Koyie Hill

Infielders (6)

Carlos Pena
Jeff Baker
Darwin Barney
Starlin Castro
Aramis Ramirez
Blake DeWitt

Outfielders (5)

Alfonso Soriano
Marlon Byrd
Kosuke Fukudome
Tyler Colvin
Reed Johnson

Last edited:
Here's my guess on the starting lineup:

1. Fukudome/Colvin (RF)
2. Castro (SS)
3. Byrd (CF)
4. Pena (1B)
5. Ramirez (3B)
6. Soriano (LF)
7. Soto (C)
8. Baker/Barney/Dewitt (2B)
9. Pitcher

Also I imagine that Pena and Ramirez can be switched around in the 4 and 5 spot.

Last edited:
I have 48 tickets sitting on my desk and can see Wrigley outside my window. So fucking excited for the season to start.

Any reasons why we should be significantly better than last year? Doesn't seem like there are any major roster changes (other than coaching). Do we still have an interim manager?

For the cubs to be successful this year, the leadoff spot and 2b will Have to produce. Soto needs to rebound from his sophomore slump, and they will have to be able to manufacture runs somehow. That line up has zero speed in it. Ramirez is in a contract year so hopefully he produces like it. If the cubs finish higher than 4th, it will be a good year. It will come down to their pitching and being able to hold teams to 3 runs or fewer to stay in games.

Kerry Wood is back? Nice. Hopefully Smardzja will throw strikes this year.

Any reasons why we should be significantly better than last year? Doesn't seem like there are any major roster changes (other than coaching). Do we still have an interim manager?

Mike Quade, the interim manager after Lou retired, now has the job full time. Besides that they really only added Carlos Pena at 1B but they're really counting on players who had down years offensively last year, especially Aramis and Soriano, to step it up this season.

Also added Garza.

Either way, I think the Durham Bulls OF is better to start the year than the Cubs. The Cubs look awful.

Well I hope deacphan is wrong. I'm more excited about the Cubs than I was in '09 off the '08 playoff debacle or last year when we did nothing really in the offseason. Hopefully the Garza and Pena moves pay dividends, though I'm not thrilled with the Quade hire or the fact that Hendry is still around (if we suck this year he's gottago)

oldstyle705.jpg

I mean yeah winning is cool, but isn't it all really about the beer, hot dogs, and atmosphere?

thats ridiculous, the cubs do suck but no way.

Jennings>>>>Any of those guys.

Soriano over his last two seasons is worth 1.5 WAR per year. He's terrible.

Colvin's below average.

ZIPS projections:

Byrd- .334, -5
Soriano- .337, -5
Colvin- .316, 0

Jennings- .330, +5
Carter- .317, 0
Guyer- .313, +10
Anderson- .306, +5
Ruggiano- .295, 0

So Ruggiano is terrible. So don't include him.

Jennings is 1 win better than Byrd in CF (same wOBA projection with easily a win diff. in defense at this point.). Guyer is a win betetr than Colvin. He's a +10 COF. He's at least average in CF per every scouting report I've seen, so that is generally +10 in a corner. So Soriano needs to be 2 wins better than Chris Carter at this point for the Cubs offense to be better. ZIPs has him at 1 win better offensively over 600 PAs, so he needs to be 1 win better in LF. Carter is probably around averageish.

So it looks to me like the Bulls are better. Granted if Brett Jackson moves Byrd to a COF spot then that could change.

(For disclosure purposes I used ZIPs rather than MARCEL because ZIPs includes minor league performance which is what we have primarily for everyone but Byrd/Soriano).

Back