• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Archie Miller?

1976Deac

Reaction score
I didn't realize he was head coach at Dayton until now. What do y'all thinks of Miller as a coach?

I didn't realize he was head coach at Dayton until now. What do y'all thinks of Miller as a coach?
Living here in Dayton, I obviously can follow him closely. UD has already lost to Miami (OH) this year.

I am on the fence about him as a head coach. He is in a great spot to get his feet wet, however.

Living here in Dayton, I obviously can follow him closely. UD has already lost to Miami (OH) this year.

I am on the fence about him as a head coach. He is in a great spot to get his feet wet, however.

What the heck are you doing in Dayton? I grew up in Kettering - the only thing left there is WPAFB.

UD is a tough gig. They had a very good coach in Don Donoher for a long time and the program has never been able to recover from when they fired him after 25 years. They have had some moments, but not any consistent success, plus coaches looking to use UD as a stepping stone vs a place they want to stay. Be interesting to see how Archie does.

What the heck are you doing in Dayton? I grew up in Kettering - the only thing left there is WPAFB.

UD is a tough gig. They had a very good coach in Don Donoher for a long time and the program has never been able to recover from when they fired him after 25 years. They have had some moments, but not any consistent success, plus coaches looking to use UD as a stepping stone vs a place they want to stay. Be interesting to see how Archie does.
Trust me, Dayton was not by choice. Job transfer. Cold and grey here. Ugghhh

As another poster said, way too early to judge.

Fuck no! He's at the top of my list of most annoying players of all time in the ACC.

Gut feeling is he's not a good fit for Wellman.

I love Archie. I think he's going to be one hell of a coach. I also think that he will be on a list of Wellman's candidates.

Also live in Dayton area and would have to agree. While he's brought some excitement to UD basketball I don't think he's ready for the spotlight of the ACC yet.

I'd feel about one degree as excited as I was about the Bzz hire. No thank you.

If we don't get Shaka or Marshall, I would greatly prefer White or Lonergan. I know some are down on Lonergan, but look at his resume. I think Archie needs another couple of years to establish himself.

Dayton has four brutal games to end the season: St Joe's (2nd in A10), UMASS (3rd), St Louis (1st), and Richmond (5th). It'll be interesting to see if he can get his team up to finish strong and make the tournament. It'll be tough, though.

If we don't get Shaka or Marshall, I would greatly prefer White or Lonergan. I know some are down on Lonergan, but look at his resume. I think Archie needs another couple of years to establish himself.

Didn't realize Lonergan's name had been tossed around as a possible candidate. Watched his GW team last night and was impressed. That program is definitely on the upswing with lots of good young talent. The thought crossed my mind last night if he might be a candidate to turn around this bzaster.

A lot of the folks saying Hell no I don't think have spent a lot of time in the coaching thread actually looking at the non Marshall/Shaka alternatives. I think you would find Archie stacks up pretty well.

Here are the pros for Archie:
1. Top of the line assistant coaching experience at multiple top programs with a reputation as a top recruiter. Dayton is probably a top 75 job in the country and to get that job as your first HC gig speaks volumes about his assistant coaching experience.
2. In addition, his recruiting at Dayton has been impressive. In the 2013 class he landed the #24 PG in country and #23 SG in country per Scout to Dayton.
3. His teams score the basketball. Bottom line. His 3 years at Dayton are 25, 26, 36 in adjusted offensive efficiency. Furthermore his entire advanced statistical profile has no red flags at all. His teams are just mediocre at defense but there is nothing glaring (like consistently can't rebound or force turnovers) that would be worrisome.

I always prefer an excellent offensive mind. You can recruit defense by bringing in great athletes. His second year Dayton team, that went 17-14, lost 7 games by one possession or less. Won zero games by that same 1-3 pt margin. With a little better luck he could easily be starting his head coaching career with three 20 win seasons.

Last edited:
Back