• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why did we take the penalty?

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
What the hell? Maryland would have had 4 and 7 from the Wake 41. No way they do anything but punt. And we take the penalty and then let them pick up the first? That makes absolutely no sense. Do our coaches not understand the rules? That may have been the dumbest coaching decision I have ever seen.

because we don't think our defense can stop a 4th and 7.

but we do think they'll stop 3rd and 17 for two plays

because we don't think our defense can stop a 4th and 7.

but we do think they'll stop 3rd and 17 for two plays

They would have gotten the first down either way. Who are you kidding?

You can't go for it on 4th and long in that situation. If you don't pick up the first, you give the other team a great chance to pick up cheap points at the end of the half. If you punt, you pretty much assure yourself of going into the half only down 7-0. At least Grobe would punt in that situation, so maybe I'm conditioned to that thought process there.

Who knows what happens on 4th, either way it is a terrible, terrible decision to give them an extra down there in exchange for 10 yards.

You can't go for it on 4th and long in that situation. If you don't pick up the first, you give the other team a great chance to pick up cheap points at the end of the half. If you punt, you pretty much assure yourself of going into the half only down 7-0. At least Grobe would punt in that situation, so maybe I'm conditioned to that thought process there.

Oh we would have just run it up the gut a couple of times.

Baffling decision. Force 4th down. Put the pressure on them.

I could see if they had the ball on the 25 or 30 or something, where you could push them back out of FG range. But they were on the 41. Isn't 4 and 7 from the 41 exactly what you would want?

I was losing my shit up in Section 2. What the hell was Grobe thinking? Was he drunk during the first half?

none of us could figure it out either. we were like "oh, we'll decline that shit" and then BAM

Worst decision of the Grobe era. Luckily didnt matter in the long run

Pretty much the most baffling move I've ever seen from this coaching staff.

pretty sure i saw Grobe tell Lobo "your call" when they announced penalty. definitely lobo's fault.

I think the melodrama here is a little rich. They would have gone for it, so 3rd and 17 isn't a bad place to put them. Maryland made a play. Big deal. It's not a bad coaching decision.

I think the melodrama here is a little rich. They would have gone for it, so 3rd and 17 isn't a bad place to put them. Maryland made a play. Big deal. It's not a bad coaching decision.

You do realize we gave them two more plays in the red zone with a Maryland kicker whose longest kick for the entire season was 33 yards?

they were playing the odds and moving the ball backwards. you all may not agree with the call - I didn't due to our record on 3rd downs this year - but it isn't indefensible.

Back