• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cronin out! 11/19 College Basketball

tiltdeac

Reaction score
#20 Cincinnati loses at home to Presbyterian. (omg)

UVA holds Drexel to 39 in a win.

NC State takes on Vandy later tonight.

Seems like a lot of majors losing to terrible teams early this year.

From the wtf score department: Cal Poly 42, the real USC 36. Final.

Good news Ari and JTT you can chuck away... they need the points.

#20 Cincinnati loses at home to Presbyterian. (omg)

UVA holds Drexel to 39 in a win.

NC State takes on Vandy later tonight.

Cincy needs to fire their coach NOW, immediately. You cannot lose to a scrub team like Presbyterian ever, under any circumstances.

Clemson loses at home to Charleston. ACC!

Cincy needs to fire their coach NOW, immediately. You cannot lose to a scrub team like Presbyterian ever, under any circumstances.

You gotta be kidding me. Cincy had their best year post-Huggins last year IIRC.

i think he was just making light of the BuzzOut outrage last year after we lost to Presby

Ah fair enough. Got me.

I really don't think Cronin's that good, but he had his best year last year.

I think what you see though is just how good a job Huggins really was doing at Cincinnati, in spite of the PR issues. Since he was ushered out, Xavier has ascended, Cincy has fallen off the map.

Last edited:
The outrage started the second news of the hire came out.

For sure. I was just meaning within the context of the Presby game. We'd already had some pretty deflating losses that year before PC. But when Buzz got on the radio and threw his hands up and said he didn't know what else he could do and got all self-pitying, that's when people really lost it that night.

Ah fair enough. Got me.

I really don't think Cronin's that good, but he had his best year last year.

I think what you see though is just how good a job Huggins really was doing at Cincinnati, in spite of the PR issues. Since he was ushered out, Xavier has ascended, Cincy has fallen off the map.

Do Xavier and Cincinatti recruit a lot of the same players?

Agree that Cronin is mediocre.

Do Xavier and Cincinatti recruit a lot of the same players?

Kind of?

Cincinnati hasn't signed a local kid since 2008 (Yancy Gates) and Cronin is from the city. So that's kind of a fail.

They went head to head on Griffin McKenzie, Tu Holloway and Adrion Graves and Xavier won them all. Big win there, as it turned out. Cincy passed on Dante Jackson, who ended up being a solid role player and leader. Holloway being the biggest win, obviously -- not a local kid but went to Harmony Prep. UC had previously signed a couple guys from Harmony.

Huggins didn't usually go after the locals that hard though and wasn't one. Obviously he did fine getting talent from elsewhere. And Xavier in the last several years has really hit the prep school ranks hard, and arguably their first recruit that started them down the trail they're on now was from Hargrave (David West). But being from the city, I think Cronin was expected to beat back the tide from Xavier, and obviously hasn't come close.

I think there was always a sense that Xavier had to surpass Cincinnati to take the next big step forward, and post-Huggins, they've done that. Opening the Cintas Center has helped too, in fairness.

But you have to say Huggins has singlehandedly raised 3 rather middling programs well above their level. Really, really good coach.

I don't follow cbb much but I'm pretty sure UC recruits the bottom of the academic barrel and gives their players a lot of lenience on campus and in the classroom. Not sure if that is an institution thing or was a Huggy Bear thing and now it's different. Xavier is actually a good school so I imagine they don't recruit from the diploma factories.

I really don't know a thing about Xavier recruiting. I know UC would do some sketchy things under Huggins and my impression is they continue to do so. I just did some interesting reading on Lance Stephenson. Maybe Xavier would have taken Stephenson but that would be surprising to me.

I'm having a hard time finding graduation rates for UC basketball which makes me think it is shitty. Seeing a couple articles that Xavier's rate is good. Not saying that is the be all end all, but it means something.

Back