• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe, perfect fit and our best fball coach ever

MikeDeac

Reaction score
On the ride home last night, I thought of how different we are as a fan base since Jim Grobe became our coach. I remember being at the ECU game in Greenville, his first if my memory serves and being impressed with our team play and his way of running down the clock leaving ECU one play. He has taken us places we never thought we would go and has made us into fans who are disappointed when we can't hold on against Clemson in Death Valley(where the refs are always tigers) and when we can't pull out a win at home against some team called Notre Dame.
Remember we once gave a coach a long extension for going 5-6 one year, no one came to games except the other teams fans.
Go back and look at a tape of the Syracuse game in 2006, there were many empty seats, and now we average over 30,000, and with the help of Bob McCreary and others have a new field, fieldhouse, Deacon Tower, scoreboard and other amenities. We expect to win most every game and have been disappointed not to go bowling the last two years. This man recruits fine young men and students and over five years turns them into a team that can compete with everybody in the country except maybe a few of the football factories. Each year our recruiting is better and I feel that every year he has been here that we have better athletes on the field. Other than the O-line this is a young team and most will be back next year with a little easier schedule. We will miss the likes of Wilbur and Dorty and Quarles and Okoro on D but there will be people waiting to step in and ready for their roles. Its been fun this year watching Justin Jackson and Olsen start to step up and play, along with Bud Noel and others. I have been to the depths and I still grumble at calls here and there but as the poet said O Captain, my Captain, my goodness we have a good one.

Sometimes I think of how weird it will be to get used to a different guy & style once Grobie retires. It's hard to imagine. He's a perfect fit here. Thankful he's our coach.

Sometimes I think of how weird it will be to get used to a different guy & style once Grobie retires. It's hard to imagine. He's a perfect fit here. Thankful he's our coach.

This.

Thanks baller, Tried to get it right but mixed those two up. His was the first senior picture posted pregame. Interesting that Stachitas(sp) was recognized as a senior, I thought.

Last edited:
If Wake is fortunate/intelligent in their hiring after he's gone, they'll hire someone better than him. But they'll have been able to do that because of the work he has done to improve the profile of the job, raise the level of the program.

We should ask him to stay until he is 70 at least. Lobo needs to get a head coaching job though.

If Wake is fortunate/intelligent in their hiring after he's gone, they'll hire someone better than him. But they'll have been able to do that because of the work he has done to improve the profile of the job, raise the level of the program.

This is my hope.

Okoro is a junior, but Bush who has been solid at safety this year will be gone.

Bush sucks, remember?

Kenny may end up playing some Safety. He is a big physical kid who I believe would be better 'roaming' deep. With the return of KJ as a starter (super competitive kid who will forfeit nothing to Merril -- he believes he's a better corner than Noel and did,in fact, beat him out --so he returns with a chip on his shoulder) A.J. is progressing nicely and would start for several ACC squads. Allen Ramsey's arrival is much anticipated...another cocksure Floridian in the backfield. Dom Tate needs to heal and get back on track --could be a future at SS. Laronji Vason will play as a rookie. Kid is lightning in a bottle.

Back