• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maui Invitational

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The Maui Invitational starts today. About thirty years ago it had probably the biggest upset in college basketball history. A tiny Hawaiian college named Chaminade beat #1, Ralph Sampson-led UVA.

No Nova beating G'town wasn't as big an upset as the two teams had played twice during the season and each game was close.

I've read that the spread for that game was something like Chaminade +40 points. That's unbelievable that they won.

I've read that the spread for that game was something like Chaminade +40 points. That's unbelievable that they won.

Game was on 12-23-82 which would've been late evening East Coast time. Odom was a UVa ass't at the time. News didn't travel fast in those day so I think it didn't become common knowledge until late afternoon C'mas Eve. I'm not sure most people even knew UVa had a game that day, much less against an NAIA school.

Shocking to say the least.

I have nothing to add except 12/23/1982 is my birthday.

Back