• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland cuts 6 varsity sports (8 total teams)

Brendan207

Reaction score
Maryland cut the following programs today (see list below). Several of these affects the amount of ACC competition for Wake. Full press release is in bold below list of sports. Not surprising these programs don't make dollars. Makes me think about what programs could ever get cut at wake. Would hate to see our school not have a track or tennis team.

men’s cross-country, indoor track, outdoor track;
men’s swimming and diving;
men’s tennis;
women’s acrobatics and tumbling;
women’s swimming and diving;
women’s water polo.

This morning, after careful review, Dr. Loh completed his analysis of the recommendations outlined by the Faculty Senate, University Athletics Council, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, and the “Presidents Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics.” Each group provided Dr. Loh with comments and additional recommendations about the future direction and financial sustainability of the Athletic Department, and outlined the direction in which the University needs to move forward.

It is with that, the decision by Dr. Loh was to agree and accept the recommendations that were outlined by the “Presidents Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics” and reduce the amount of varsity sponsored programs by six, a total of eight teams. This decision has the primary goal of placing Intercollegiate Athletics on a sustainable financial path without unduly compromising the excellence experience that we strive to provide our student-athletes.

I have personally spoken to all of the student-athletes and coaches of the affected programs about the decision. As many of you can understand, this is a difficult day for both the community and the student-athletes. Let me assure you, we will honor all existing student-athletes scholarship commitments and Coaches contracts for those who choose to remain at the University of Maryland, and we will assist any to the greatest extent possible who desire to pursue the possibility of continuing in their sport at another institution.

Decisions of this caliber are extraordinarily complex, multifaceted, and always difficult. Given the lasting impact this decision will have on the University and the lives of many members of our community, the details of Dr. Loh’s decision are posted through the link below:

Dr. Loh's response

You may can also find the report of the President's Commission, as well as the written responses to that report by the Athletics Department, the University Athletic Council, the M Club, and the University Senate Executive Committee at:

http://www.president.umd.edu/PCIA

Again, there is no doubt that this is a difficult time for all of us in the Maryland family, but like many times before we have faced difficult challenges and overcame them. I have no doubt that we will answer the call again this time. Thank you for your continued support of our student athletes and Maryland Athletics.

Last edited:
Good thing they have these...

mdflagunis3.png

I realize that the non-rev sports are a drain on every athletic department, but I do wonder how much of this is due to debt incurred to build Comcast and renovate Byrd?

Moving from Cole Field House to Comcast looks like a worse decision with each passing year.

Wow, indeed. Friend of mine was playing there as a junior this year. Interesting to see if he just gets his degree next year or transfers.

Yeah, track, tennis, and cross country are kind of surprising I would think.

I think they probably had to cut those to balance out the illegitimate women's sports that needed to be cut, right? Title IX ftw.

I can't believe they cut their entire men's track program, that is insane.

I think they probably had to cut those to balance out the illegitimate women's sports that needed to be cut, right? Title IX ftw.

Especially since our POS former AD apparently signed us up for some program that required us to be perfectly Title IX compliant or something like that. Not the weak "oh we're getting there, we promise" compliant that a lot of schools are.

The real stupid expenditure with the football program was expanding the tower in the stadium when we did. The only way that pays for itself is if we sell out the suites, and LOL at doing that with A) tons of other teams with nicer suites in the area B) limited alcohol allowance and C) our POS team and worse than POS new "coach"

This was not a Title IX issue. MD athletic department is in a major financial hole, and that hole is projected to get larger over the next 5 years. Despite its status as the largest school in the ACC, MD is near the bottom in fund-raising. Also, MD spend the least per athlete as any ACC school.

Debbie Yow left a mess behind when she moved on NC State.

I can't believe they cut their entire men's track program, that is insane.

Also seems crazy to cut a swimming team when they have a huge aquatics center which is less than 15 years old.

Especially since our POS former AD apparently signed us up for some program that required us to be perfectly Title IX compliant or something like that. Not the weak "oh we're getting there, we promise" compliant that a lot of schools are.

That's what you get for letting a woman run your athletic department.

Also seems crazy to cut a swimming team when they have a huge aquatics center which is less than 15 years old.

Belongs to the university, not the athletic department. The AD had to pay Student Affairs, or whoever is running it these days, for the pool time.

No idea how SA is going to cover that revenue loss though.

This was not a Title IX issue. MD athletic department is in a major financial hole, and that hole is projected to get larger over the next 5 years. Despite its status as the largest school in the ACC, MD is near the bottom in fund-raising. Also, MD spend the least per athlete as any ACC school.

Debbie Yow left a mess behind when she moved on NC State.

Obviously they needed to make cuts, but cutting mens tennis and track programs vs. women's acrobatics, tumbling, and water polo is a little off.

When they said they cut Acrobatics & Tumbling I thought they meant gymnastics. But I looked and its a separate program apparently like competitive cheerleading. That's ok, they don't need that.

Obviously they needed to make cuts, but cutting mens tennis and track programs vs. women's acrobatics, tumbling, and water polo is a little off.

Not if they want to keep a 52-man lacrosse team.

I don't know how many of those players are actually on scholarship, but that's a whole bunch of Title IX to make up. It's also why Wake isn't going to have a lacrosse team any time in the near future.

The pool isn't owned by athletics but the campus recreation department, so athletics has to buy pool time. Or something.

There's zero chance Debbie bolted for any reason other than she needed to get out before the shit hit the fan and her career would be over.

Also, never disagree with anything HOF Dominique Dawes decides on

I hope Yow tanks the NCSU athletic department the way she did the UMD one.

Back