• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Givens gets 4th ROW award

EqDeac

Reaction score
East Dorset, VT/ West Palm Beach, FL/ Upperville,
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112111aad.html

RECEIVER – Chris Givens, Wake Forest, Jr., WR, 6-0, 195, Wylie, Tex. Givens tied his career-high with eight receptions and set a career-high with 191 receiving yards in Wake Forest’s 31-10 win over Maryland. Givens added a 35-yard touchdown catch from QB Tanner Price. In the process, Givens set the school record for receiving yards in a season with 1,207. That also ranks as the sixth-best season receiving total in ACC history.

Also ESPN ACC blog helmet sticker

Wake Forest receiver Chris Givens: He tied a career-high with eight receptions and set a career-high with 191 yards in the 31-10 win over Maryland. Givens, who also had one touchdown, set the Wake Forest record for receiving yards in a season and now has 1,207. He broke Ricky Proehl's record of 1,053 set in 1989.

And Brett Friedlander talking about his snub from Biletnikoff Award finalist list.

But Wake Forest’s Chris Givens should also have been the list. An argument can also be made for North Carolina’s Dwight Jones, who was one of the 12 players I had on my ballot the last time the field was narrowed. Perhaps more ACC teams should switch to the pass-happy spread offense, so that their stats can be skewed like many of those selected as semifinalist.

Givens, in particular, is a blatant snub. His numbers of 62 catches for1,016 yards and eight TDs are almost identical to those of Watkins. And they’re significantly better than Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd, who used the hype and overexposure that come with being a member of the Fighting Irish to make the semifinal list despite having only 922 yards and seven TDs to go along with his 77 catches.

Last edited:
1,240 is good enough for 2nd place in ACC history I believe. He will not catch Torry Holt (1607), but should be #2 all-time in the ACC for a season. Remarkable year.

Absolute stud. If we do not recruit an offensive skill postion player from Texas every year, then bad news. Price, Givens (Potentially Hairrs) are all studs.

Absolute stud. If we do not recruit an offensive skill postion player from Texas every year, then bad news. Price, Givens (Potentially Hairrs) are all studs.

Is Texas the new Florida?

1,240 is good enough for 2nd place in ACC history I believe. He will not catch Torry Holt (1607), but should be #2 all-time in the ACC for a season. Remarkable year.

At 1233 he will pass Peter Warrick for All Time Yardage leader among ACC JR's. He has more yards and TD's than Torry Holt had as a JR. and needs only 26 yards to hold the record among JR conference players.

Do Bowl games count towards the ACC statistics?

Is that only for regular season games? If not, while very highly unlikely, if he has games against Vandy and the bowl game like he did against Maryland, he could do it. Again, it would be very highly unlikely.:)

I think bowl games count. It did for Phonz and the INT record iirc.

The replay guy took away a lot yards from Chris Saturday- been close to 250 for the game- on a call that should have stood on the irrefutable evidence rule.

The replay guy took away a lot yards from Chris Saturday- been close to 250 for the game- on a call that should have stood on the irrefutable evidence rule.

Or on a call that should have stood because we had already run a play, making the prior one un-reviewable.

Although he did get a good chunk of that back later on the drive. Probably only lost 30 yards or so in the end.

Any truth to the rumors that Givens is going pro? Seems like a bad idea for someone who isn't 6'6" 240.

Any truth to the rumors that Givens is going pro? Seems like a bad idea for someone who isn't 6'6" 240.

I haven't heard or read anything to that effect, but considering the drama wih Grobe booting his brother from the team I wouldn't blame him if he felt it was time to move on.

Did you just start the rumor?

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Barring injury, he'd be a lot better off staying. We have an easier schedule next year, Tanner will still be here, and the run support should be even better next year with a healthy Jroc and Orville.

Back