• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coin Toss Kid ( Maryland Game)

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
"For those of you who were not there, all season Wake has had one of the kids at Brenners as the coin toss kid. For the MD game, tragically the kid died before he got his chance. The game was on what would have been his 14th birthday. His brother stood in for him at the toss.

I seriously had to look away from the jumbotron at that point.

Thoughts and prayers go out to this family for such a terrible loss."

The poster "paladeac" posted this on the other board, so I thought I would paste it over here. I was in the stadium during this and hearing the story and seeing on the video board the mother crying and Grobe looking like it was all he could do not to cry, I admit tears starting flowing down my face.:( May God comfort and bless this family.

Definitely a sobering moment. I hadn't realized that the coin-toss kids were from the Childrens Hospital.

That was so so so sad.

That was just an emotional game all around. Opening it with the loss of the Coin Toss Kid, a proposal, and there was a third that I can't think of right now. I also felt a little emotional when they honored the military guy; reading his accolades took like 5 minutes!

That was so so so sad.

That was just an emotional game all around. Opening it with the loss of the Coin Toss Kid, a proposal, and there was a third that I can't think of right now. I also felt a little emotional when they honored the military guy; reading his accolades took like 5 minutes!

Definite bawse. Wake does that (honors Military) more than any other teams that I've attended games of.

Yeah, I was at the game with my 3 year old, and the coin-toss kid thing tore me up. I can't imagine being Coach Grobe and having to comfort a family who suffered a loss like that and then immediately transition to coaching.

Very sad. Grobe hugged the mother, hugged the rest of the family there, and then came back for a longer hug with the mother.

Also, big props to engagement guy.

Grobe gave the mom a 2nd hug. It was definitely emotional.

I nearly teared up for the kick-off kid. The military honors were very cool.

I was already headed to the lot for halftime when the proposal happened.

I teared up I could not help it it was so sad.

Put everything in reality before the game about what is truly important.

Very sad. Grobe hugged the mother, hugged the rest of the family there, and then came back for a longer hug with the mother.

Also, big props to engagement guy.

Did you happen to notice the guys with the first down sticks also hugged the mother. Not too many folks around us weren't tearing up a little during that presentation.

Back