• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rich Rodriguez to Arizona (announced via Twitter)

As a lifelong Arizona fan I hate this hire. He'll bolt as soon as he attains enough success at Arizona to open up better job opportunities for him.

As a lifelong Arizona fan I hate this hire. He'll bolt as soon as he attains enough success at Arizona to open up better job opportunities for him.

Really? I'm not informed on UA, but as an outsider, this looks like a great hire. Can't miss IMO.

At least he brings tons of integrity to the program.

I think he'll be successful, but I also think he'll leave the program in ruins when he bolts for a better job in 4 years. Dude pretty much hung up a "please hire me away from my alma mater" sign while at WVU.

Long live the coach Dick Rod era...

I think he'll be successful, but I also think he'll leave the program in ruins when he bolts for a better job in 4 years. Dude pretty much hung up a "please hire me away from my alma mater" sign while at WVU.

Long live the coach Dick Rod era...
What elite college football program would have him? He shat the bed at Michigan, a top-5 college football job, so who else in the top rung would take the chance? Where's he gonna go that will be a big enough step up to warrant leaving Arizona? Unless you think an NFL team would hire him...

What elite college football program would have him? He shat the bed at Michigan, a top-5 college football job, so who else in the top rung would take the chance? Where's he gonna go that will be a big enough step up to warrant leaving Arizona? Unless you think an NFL team would hire him...

Considering that Arizona is historically a bottom tier Pac 1x school, pretty much any job would be viewed as a step up. And I absolutely think he'd get another shot with a big name school in the SEC if he has any measure of success at Arizona. He's still have far more good seasons to his credit than bad.

Yea I agree. Plus, I think his gigantic ego comes into play here. Arizona is a place I've always thought just needed the right coach to be successful. I think RichRod stays there for a long time and builds that program back up.

Pac 12 seems ripe for another power right now. The Pac 12 South is USC/ASU and a bunch of struggling programs.

Considering that Arizona is historically a bottom tier Pac 1x school, pretty much any job would be viewed as a step up. And I absolutely think he'd get another shot with a big name school in the SEC if he has any measure of success at Arizona. He's still have far more good seasons to his credit than bad.

I don't follow Arizona football too closely, but what - other than a decent head coach - makes them appreciably different than an Oregon? I know there's the Nike money, but Arizona's a huge state school, so that doesn't seem like it should be a big deal. Plus, Arizona has huge recruiting advantages over almost all other schools regarding weather and coeds. I know neither school is college football royalty, but I don't see why a good head coach can't do at Arizona what Chip Kelly has done in Eugene.

We'll have to disagree about the SEC. I see Rich Rod's ceiling in the SEC as a school like South Carolina - historically, the 4th best team in their division and somewhere around 7th best in the conference. Before Michigan he could have gone to a top tier SEC school, but not any more.

Rodriguez is an asshat but I think it's a great hire for Arizona -- especially getting him this early. They've only had spotted success over the past few decades, but have they ever had a good coach? In order to get a higher profile job he's going to need to have some pretty good success at Arizona, and if he leaves after that, I'd say it was worth it.

I don't follow Arizona football too closely, but what - other than a decent head coach - makes them appreciably different than an Oregon? I know there's the Nike money, but Arizona's a huge state school, so that doesn't seem like it should be a big deal. Plus, Arizona has huge recruiting advantages over almost all other schools regarding weather and coeds. I know neither school is college football royalty, but I don't see why a good head coach can't do at Arizona what Chip Kelly has done in Eugene.

We'll have to disagree about the SEC. I see Rich Rod's ceiling in the SEC as a school like South Carolina - historically, the 4th best team in their division and somewhere around 7th best in the conference. Before Michigan he could have gone to a top tier SEC school, but not any more.

I think he would drop Zona for South Carolina in a heartbeat. The man is a whore.

Rodriguez is an asshat but I think it's a great hire for Arizona -- especially getting him this early. They've only had spotted success over the past few decades, but have they ever had a good coach? In order to get a higher profile job he's going to need to have some pretty good success at Arizona, and if he leaves after that, I'd say it was worth it.

True, but he's got several 'roid dealers on speed dial.

Yea I agree. Plus, I think his gigantic ego comes into play here. Arizona is a place I've always thought just needed the right coach to be successful. I think RichRod stays there for a long time and builds that program back up.

Pac 12 seems ripe for another power right now. The Pac 12 South is USC/ASU and a bunch of struggling programs.

ASU shat the bed this year. I think Dennis Erickson is gone. Now way in hell this team should be 6-5 right now - they should be 9-2 at worse.

Back