• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ article on Joepa

The following day, Dr. Triponey sent an email to Messrs. Spanier, Curley and Puzycki summarizing the meeting and sharing her thoughts and concerns.

Why?

I love JoePa but so goes the notion that he was any different from Bowden or any other coach in America when it comes to players and trouble.

nobody truly believed that other than members of the cult

The following day, Dr. Triponey sent an email to Messrs. Spanier, Curley and Puzycki summarizing the meeting and sharing her thoughts and concerns.

Why?

What do you mean by "why"? That's the plural of Mister.

If Penn State doesn't get the death penalty with such blatant LOIC then no other school should ever be sanctioned. This really does make the SMU case look like school yard cheating

Just before she arrived, Penn State faced an episode in which Mr. Paterno had decided to let cornerback Anwar Phillips play in a bowl game, even though he had been charged with sexually assaulting a woman and had been temporarily expelled from school. Mr. Paterno declined to field questions about the incident at the time. Mr. Spanier referred to it as a case of "miscommunication." Mr. Phillips was acquitted of the charge in a subsequent trial.

:rulz:

Who was it that said Spanier had more power? Millen?

Why?

What do you mean by "why"? That's the plural of Mister.

Wall street journal style guideline is to always refer to everyone as Mr. or Mrs. *last name* once you've given their full name once. It's a formality thing, but probably the thing I dislike the most when reading it.

And, as the stig said - this is the plural, but it does just make it look even more formal.

Wall street journal style guideline is to always refer to everyone as Mr. or Mrs. *last name* once you've given their full name once. It's a formality thing, but probably the thing I dislike the most when reading it.

And, as the stig said - this is the plural, but it does just make it look even more formal.

Thanks for the clarification. It's just not something I come across as I read other newspapers.

I don't see the issues raised in this article as a big deal. This shite goes on most everywhere - at least at most big state schools. One of my friends who is on the Cville police force jokingly refers to UVA football players as having "diplomatic immunity" when it comes to run of the mill police investigations.

real newspapers, of which there are increasingly few, use "Mr." and "Ms."

(generally sports game stories and op-eds are excepted from this)

NYT also dropped from Bin Laden, Hitler and a handful of others.

real newspapers, of which there are increasingly few, use "Mr." and "Ms."

(generally sports game stories and op-eds are excepted from this)

Oh? How do they refer to several "Mr."s in a list - as in the example given?

In 2004, after several incidents involving football players, Mr. Paterno told the Allentown Morning Call newspaper that the players weren't misbehaving any more than usual, but that such news was now more public. "I can go back to a couple guys in the '70s who drove me nuts," he said. "The cops would call me, and I used to put them in bed in my house and run their rear ends off the next day. Nobody knew about it. That's the way we handled it."
You know they just had to find a way to get that quote in there after this business with Sandusky.

I don't see the issues raised in this article as a big deal. This shite goes on most everywhere - at least at most big state schools. One of my friends who is on the Cville police force jokingly refers to UVA football players as having "diplomatic immunity" when it comes to run of the mill police investigations.

I think it is a fairly big deal when an athletic department takes away the ability for the school to punish players in an attempt to increase the success of the program. They have basically made a section of students unaccountable for their actions, short of being expelled i suppose. How exactly is it punishment if you put a player on suspension but still allow them to play football? Do you think it would be a viable punishment to tell your child he no longer has to perform chores but can still play with friends, etc? I think that is the opposite of effective punishment. And you have fallen into the common fallacy of "this is fairly common so it is no big deal". The list of fairly common occurrences that are in fact big deals, both currently and historically, is too long to mention but lets just leave it at society often accepts what is not correct simply because it is a societal norm. That doesn't inherently lessen the severity of the problem, but rather shows a systemic issue with how society operates. In this case, it illuminates a very large issue with the concept of major college athletics.

This article is obviously full of lies.

Joe Paterno is above reproach. Why? Because he's really old and coaches football.

To think how badly we all wanted Penn State to join the ACC two months ago.

that's a little harsh. joepa can't have more than 2-3 years left anyways. let's spare the tax payer's money and let nature take its course.

(joking obvi)

Back