• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Johnson downplays SEC

Along with FSU, he has to recruit against the SEC more than any other ACC school. Of course he's not going to give opposing schools any more fuel to use against him.

The SEC is a better football conference than the ACC.

The difference may not be as great as current public opinion thinks, but there is a difference.

Even with a down year in the SEC, I think he is full of shit. 6 different SEC teams have been to the Championship in 12 years and if Arkansas makes it, they will be the 7th in the BCS era, and that's not counting repeats.

I think he's absolutely right.

Yes, the SEC is the best football conference, but it's not so much better than the other BCS conferences. LSU and Alabama have incredible defenses that cover up their mediocre offenses. Arkansas I am not sure about. After that, they're just like everybody else.

The string of national titles has an awful lot to do with the fact that they are so highly rated at the start of every year. (perception again) If you start that high and make it through with zero or one loss, you've got a good shot at the title.

I think he's absolutely right.

Yes, the SEC is the best football conference, but it's not so much better than the other BCS conferences. LSU and Alabama have incredible defenses that cover up their mediocre offenses. Arkansas I am not sure about. After that, they're just like everybody else.

The string of national titles has an awful lot to do with the fact that they are so highly rated at the start of every year. (perception again) If you start that high and make it through with zero or one loss, you've got a good shot at the title.

What other team besides Oklahoma deserved to be ranked in the top 3 preseason over LSU and Alabama? What teams deserve to be ranked ahead of them now?

SEC is definitely the best conference in America but they are top heavy. UGA is in the SEC championship game after winning the east and beating teams with a 45-54 combined record.

With that said, I think LSU and Bama are clearly top 2 in america.

The SEC is a better football conference than the ACC.

The difference may not be as great as current public opinion thinks, but there is a difference.

The difference is probably MORE than public opinion thinks. 5 straight national titles. 4 different schools won those titles. And at least two of those schools started the season outside the Top 10 in the polls.

Big 12 is the best conference this year, and it's not particularly close. The Big 12 has ridiculous depth top to bottom (except Kansas).

The top SEC West teams don't have to play themselves, so not an equal comparison.

The SEC can have the two best teams in the country (which they do) and still not have the best conference (which they don't). But put any SEC school in the Big 12 this year, and you'd expect two losses, as well.

Last edited:
Before some of you jump to conclusions, yall need to realize that the media down there will spin his words in any way they want. The state of Georgia is completely Pro-Georgia and Anti-Georgia Tech, it's pretty sickening.

He said that the media focuses way too much on which conference is the best...and that they should focus on who has the best team instead.

The top SEC West teams don't have to play themselves, so not an equal comparison.

The SEC can have the two best teams in the country (which they do) and still not have the best conference (which they don't). But put any SEC school in the Big 12 this year, and you'd expect two losses, as well.

BULLSHIT!!!

Find me two losses for LSU or Alabama in the Big 12. I'll laugh.

BULLSHIT!!!

Find me two losses for LSU or Alabama in the Big 12. I'll laugh.

Using a distillation of the Sagarin rating and predictor, which I've found to be the best predictor of Vegas lines, I've come up with these numbers. Most any vegas-style power rating would be a good substitute, although they are tough to find. The two teams are pretty identical in quality. I assumed a neutral field for each matchup.

Chance of a loss:
Oklahoma State: 38%
Oklahoma: 35%
Texas A&M: 18%
Missouri: 15%
Kansas State: 15%
Texas: 13%
Baylor: 13%
Iowa State: 3%
Texas Tech: 1%
Kansas: 0%

So that comes to an expectation of almost exactly 1.5 losses, so maybe not an expectation of two -- but higher than what it would be with their current conference schedule.

Either way, a conference's strength is measured by all of it's teams -- and the bottom half of the Big 12 is one of the strongest I can remember.

Last edited:
Raleigh, where was Auburn ranked preseason last year?

They got a huge boost playing SEC teams that were rated highly.

Look, I am not saying the SEC is bad. I just don't buy that they are some mini-NFL and everyone else is playing high school ball.

Back