• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl Elgibility Poll

Should a .500 football team go to a bowl?

• Yes, the players deserve the postseason fun and it's a chance for extra practice.

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • No, if you can't manage a winning record during the season you shouldn't play in the postseason.

Votes: 49 54.4%

• Total voters

Brangus

Reaction score
Should a .500 football team go to a bowl?

No. Other than the top 10-15 games, bowl games are always a mediocre team a against a similarly mediocre (or even bad) team. Not compelling television at all.

No, but under this brilliant, money-driven system, they go anyway.

So, are you saying that those bowls in which a 6-6 team would play should just disappear?

So, are you saying that those bowls in which a 6-6 team would play should just disappear?

There are a lot of bad bowls. If the Independence Bowl finally went under (SEC fans dreaded for years...it was like an insult) no one would shed a tear. Same thing for other bowls in weird venues like baseball stadiums, etc., shown during the day or early evening on weekdays....

What does it hurt? It's like playing in the NIT. gives the team an extra month of practice too.

Anyone who says no doesn't give a crap about our team. The extra practice and the experience is crucial for our program and any exposure is good exposure. Does a 6-6 ACC team deserve to go more than an 8-4 CUSA or MAC team I would say so.

Wish there was an option that said, "no they shouldnt go to a bowl this year, but it is a chance for another month of practice to get better for next season."

No, but under this brilliant, money-driven system, they go anyway.

Just to be clear... Don't anyone interpret my no as that I don't want to go to a bowl or think we should decline. My beef is wouldn't the system that rewards.mediocrity, but I'm happy for wake to take advantage of the system and am happy that it is going to work in our favor.

Just to be clear... Don't anyone interpret my no as that I don't want to go to a bowl or think we should decline. My beef is wouldn't the system that rewards.mediocrity, but I'm happy for wake to take advantage of the system and am happy that it is going to work in our favor.

Agreed 100%. I'm happy about Wake going to a bowl, but ultimately more because of the extra month of practice than for the opportunity to face off against some middling MWC team in Shreveport the day after Christmas.

What is an extra month of practice going to matter for a team that sleepwalked through the last half of the season?

Seriously, it's troubling how slack this team was after the FSU game. They pissed away three chances to be bowl eligible and the didn't even show up for a chance to guarantee a winning season.

Back