• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC COY

KeEpEr

Resident Troll
Reaction score
Who wins the award this year? Beamer I guess.

Would say London, but not putting up a point in a play-in game for the ACCCG doesn't scream COY.

COY awards are strange. VaTech goes 11-1, beats UVa 38-0, and the UVa coach is favored to win COY. My vote would go to Beamer.

[Redacted]. First ever in football and basketball

COY awards are stupid. VaTech goes 11-1, beats UVa 38-0, and the UVa coach is favored to win COY. My vote would go to Beamer.
Fixed. I hate COY awards at all levels. Might as well rename it to some combination of, or selection from among the following:

"Team that we, the media, underestimated the most"
"Team with the most favorable schedule in hindsight"
"Team that stayed the healthiest over the course of the season"
"Team that, even though they weren't the best or anything, just kinda seemed a lot better than we thought"
"Team that didn't win the league, conference, or division, but that we think should get something and we can't really give them anything else"

I'd vote for Beamer or Swinney--depending upon who wins the ACCCG. Beamer probably is the best coach in the ACC.

London seems likely this year, though.

I think London will probably get it, but think Beamer deserves it. His team wasn't overly talented this year, but he took care of business like he usually does. VT's schedule was pretty favorable, but he has the team in top 5 in BCS. London is recruiting very well and should have UVA in contention in the Coastal the next few years.

I'd vote for Beamer or Swinney--depending upon who wins the ACCCG. Beamer probably is the best coach in the ACC.

London seems likely this year, though.

Ballots are due midnight tonight.

Beamer is the one great coach in this conference.

I think London will probably get it, but think Beamer deserves it. His team wasn't overly talented this year, but he took care of business like he usually does. VT's schedule was pretty favorable, but he has the team in top 5 in BCS. London is recruiting very well and should have UVA in contention in the Coastal the next few years.

Recruiting has definitely improved, but UVA loses a lot of players from the 2 deep this year. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a noticeable drop off next season.

Beamer is the one great coach in this conference.

Yup. Coach Grobe is the 2nd best, but there is a noticeable drop-off.

Some people aren't content with the 2nd best coach in the ACC though. I find that hard to believe.

COY awards usually go to the coach whose teams exceed expectations the most. Based on that (VT was picked to win the conference this year), the voting will prolly be London, Swinney, Beamer and Grobe in that order. Most folks had UVA at 5-7 or so (I did). But I'd be tempted to vote for Beamer because they only have 1 loss with what I consider their worst D and ST in over a decade. I know they've had some injuries on their DL, but overall, the talent level on the entire D and the OL is nothing to write home about. That team would be awfully mediocre without Thomas, Wilson and the WRs.

Back