• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If VT beats Clemson...

WakeSC

Reaction score
should they get a shot at the national championship? I say yes. Their only loss would be against a team they later beat on a neutral field. You could also make a case for Ok State. It would be a travesty for a rematch between Alabama and LSU.

Virginia Tech has played two games against ranked teams this year (Clemson and Georgia Tech) and lost one of them by 20 points. Their OOC schedule was: App State, East Carolina, Arkansas State, and Marshall.

If they beat Clemson next week, it is entirely possible that they will finish the year having played no teams who are ranked heading into bowl season, which is pretty remarkable.

In short, no.

LSU would beat VT like a rented mule.

I know people hate, loathe, despise the SEC but that conference plays at a completely different level. If you need any further proof, their red-headed stepchild just beat the living crap out of us 41-7.

the ACC blows. I understand the case you're making, but the ACC simply blows.

OSU would deserve it more simply because the BXII is top-to-bottom much better than the ACC and top-to-bottom better than any conference, frankly. Nobody wants to admit that the SEC is garbage this year, but it is (yes, I realize Vandy raped us today. We're garbage too). LSU and Bama are better than or as good as anybody else, but they haven't played anybody in their conference. LSU at least beat Oregon outside of it.

Virginia Tech has played two games against ranked teams this year (Clemson and Georgia Tech) and lost one of them by 20 points. Their OOC schedule was: App State, East Carolina, Arkansas State, and Marshall.

If they beat Clemson next week, it is entirely possible that they will finish the year having played no teams who are ranked heading into bowl season, which is pretty remarkable.

In short, no.

Virginia was also ranked this past week, but fair point on the schedule.

Their best win would be over either a 4 loss Clemson or 4 loss GT. They needed divine ref intervention to beat UNC and were kinda fortunate to escape ECU, Miami, and Duke. VT blows hard this year and if they were in a real conference against a real schedule, they'd probably be 7-5/6-6.

I'd rather see that. No way do I want to watch another LSU/Alabama borefest.

should they get a shot at the national championship? I say yes. Their only loss would be against a team they later beat on a neutral field. You could also make a case for Ok State. It would be a travesty for a rematch between Alabama and LSU.

This is a joke, right?

Honestly, I think it should be any of the other major conference champions before Alabama. Ohio state shocked Miami years ago. The most interesting game would be ok state vs LSU, but if ok state can't win their conference then I think it has to be Oklahoma, vt, or Stanford if oregon loses to ucla.

I don't hate the sec. I just think it defeats the purpose of a national championship if two teams from the same conference play. How do you know LSU is better than ok St, ok, VT. You don't until they play on the field. Yes, I know vt is not great but they deserve it more than Alabama right now.

Should LSU beat UGA, the BCS will give us an LSU-Bama rematch. Personally, I wouldn't mind (I like defense), but it's patently unfair. At this point, Bama backs into the title game without having to play another game. All the other hopefuls (LSU included...maybe) have to win a conference championship. The BCS needs to make a rule that a team doesn't get to play in the NC unless it wins its conference championship (or at least played in its title game). Even the Pac-10(8?12?) and the Big-10 (11?16?) have finally instituted conf championships. Is that unfair to a team like Bama? I don't care. They shouldn't be allowed to sit on their ass this weekend, virtually assured of a NC spot when everyone else has to play. Either put this rule in or move to a playoff.

If all the other one-loss teams lose their conf title games but Va Tech wins, yeah, put them in the title game. Let's see what they can do.

I agree with "3 fouls" on the fact that BAMA shouldn't be allowed to play in the NC. If ya can't win your CONFERENCE championship, you don't deserve a potential NATIONAL championship.

I disagree that VT should get a shot though. I would like to see OK ST or STAN play LSU.

LSU would beat VT like a rented mule.

I know people hate, loathe, despise the SEC but that conference plays at a completely different level. If you need any further proof, their red-headed stepchild just beat the living crap out of us 41-7.

But then why do we have a national championship? We already have the fucking SEC championship. Let's not play the damn thing twice.

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I don't know how a team who has already lost to LSU gets to play them again for the National Championship. Even though they are the two best teams.

VT is just not that good. Maybe the 15th best team in the country. Horrible OOC, barely beat Dook and UNC and Miami. Has Fank Beamer ever beaten a Top 5 team? I think he is like 0-9. His record against teh top 15 is like 2-25. I'm guessing, but do recall the numbers are staggering. The VT way is to load up on easy games, and get to a bowl and hope to win it, but get blown out if they play anyone in the top 15.

Wisconsin had it in their hands this year but stumbled early. They're playing as well as anyone now. If OSU wins, I'd put them in the champiosship. Only one loss, which was on the road the day after a horrible school tragedy.

There just is no other argument that makes sense. Its Bama-LSU.

Seriously? The argument is simple: Alabama already played LSU, and lost. To name them a national champion after going 1-1 against the other team with a claim to the title is repugnant to the idea of championships. A playoff system is obviously best, but in lieu of that, you need new blood in the title game to give as many teams a shot at LSU as possible. Alabama had their shot and blew it.

Back