• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Easier Schedule

KeEpEr

Resident Troll
Reaction score
Let's assume we played The Citadel instead of Syracuse, and two Bowl Division patsies instead of Notre Dame and Vanderbilt and achieved a 9-3 record. I wonder what bowl would select us. Would we still be going to Independence ?

probably not but the record would look more favorably than our current one with this schedule and more than likely boost prestige and recruiting, but some do not seem to understand that.

probably not but the record would look more favorably than our current one with this schedule and more than likely boost prestige and recruiting, but some do not seem to understand that.

I agree but if you can play Notre Dame at home I guess you have to do it.

I agree that it is a legitimate point that we play less patsies than our conference competition on average when we have to play at a higher level of performance to do well in the conference generally. That's asking alot.

One FCS and one FBS sure win still leaves you two games to play tough OOC comp.

We'd still be going to the Independence Bowl.

Every Strength of Schedule measure I've seen has us in the 50s nationally which is middle of the pack in FBS.

The hard schedule was worth it, especially since we made a bowl anyway.

Imagine if we didn't get to play duke every year.

I have no problem with the schedule. Should have won Syracuse and Notre Dame anyway. These kids need to learn how play four quarters, and stomping The Citadel and sitting in the second half wouldn't have helped that.

Syracuse is about as bad as a BCS team that there is. They have 1 big east win and Vandy is 2-6 in the SEC. People are acting like Syracuse is good. Those were 2 games we were expected to win plus Gardner Webb. We are a mediocre team with basically 1 good win. (FSU). Mediocre is much beter than last year so hopefully next year we yake another step forward...But the idea that our schedule was difficult is simply not true.

Syracuse isn't close to as bad of a BCS team as you can play. they looked like a bowl lock when they were blowing out West Virginia to go a 5-2 and then the wheels just fell off.

They have 3 wins over Bowl teams in us, Toledo and WV.

Last edited:
Syracuse is about as bad as a BCS team that there is. They have 1 big east win and Vandy is 2-6 in the SEC. People are acting like Syracuse is good. Those were 2 games we were expected to win plus Gardner Webb. We are a mediocre team with basically 1 good win. (FSU). Mediocre is much beter than last year so hopefully next year we yake another step forward...But the idea that our schedule was difficult is simply not true.

I posted it on another thread, but it fits here too. We signed Syracuse and Vandy when they were in the gutter of their respective conferences and probably saw them as sure, easy wins. While both are better now than when we signed contracts, we should still be able to beat both teams. The only challenge with Syracuse was that it was on the road to start the season.

At the end of the day though, winning those games probably doesn't change our bowl slot. They would however give us a recruiting edge and momentum going forward.

Exactly. Well said, ralph. Cuse and Vandy aren't good. Notre Dame is getting by on rep.

One reason we should be grateful that State won is it gives us a second win this season over a team that finished with a winning record.

Syracuse isn't close to as bad of a BCS team as you can play. they looked like a bowl lock when they were blowing out West Virginia to go a 5-2 and then the wheels just fell off.

They have 3 wins over Bowl teams in us, Toledo and WV

Considering that 70 out of 117 teams make bowls, that's pretty poor.

The worst BCS teams don't have 3 wins period.

Let's just put it like this. When people were talking about the difficulty of our schedule back in August, they weren't talking about Cuse and Vandy.

Let's assume we played The Citadel instead of Syracuse, and two Bowl Division patsies instead of Notre Dame and Vanderbilt and achieved a 9-3 record. I wonder what bowl would select us. Would we still be going to Independence ?

Yes we'd still be going to the Independence because it would put us around being ranked, best case 20th in the country and a 20th ranked Wake team would still not be picked over State or UVA. Our fans would be even angrier though when State did get picked.

We wouldn't be ranked in that scenario.

I dont care about being ranked or what bowls we go to I just want us to start winning every year. If this means we have to play Liberty, Army, Tulane, and Memphis OOC so be it. That is 4 wins get 3 or 4 more in conference that is 7-8 wins a year. About 5 years of this recruiting starts getting better we start bumping up the competition, you have to build a program and building a program comes from sustained success and that is something we are never going to have playing a tough schedule.

Take Boise St. They play a piss poor schedule but they are winning and they are starting to pull in better and better recruits, the difference is they play in a shittier conference which should benefit us.

Shouldn't we be done with the "building a program" phase of scheduling? 28-12 over a three year stretch indicates the program was built.

I would rather us be in a game versus compelling opponents (note: we only had one of these on our OOC schedule this year) even if we lose then be playing schedule like VT had this year.

Back