• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you opt out of union dues

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
In OH, WI and other states they are making it possible to opt out of paying union dues.

I believe if you do that you should have to buy your own health insurance, you should not get any of the other benefits union members get.

You shouldn't get the same pay or protection from the employer either.

If you don't want to pay the union , you shouldn't get any of the things they have negotiated for.

That's how it is in most at-will employment states. That's been the case for quite some time in Georgia. You can work in a position covered by a union but you're not required to pay in. The insurance and other discounts you get with union membership are unavailable if you chose to not pay into the union.

However since the union pursues getting certified in a location, they are required to provide representation and guidance to non-paying members. It's just one of the things they agree to do when taking over a location.

In OH, WI and other states they are making it possible to opt out of paying union dues.

I believe if you do that you should have to buy your own health insurance, you should not get any of the other benefits union members get.

You shouldn't get the same pay or protection from the employer either.

If you don't want to pay the union , you shouldn't get any of the things they have negotiated for.

That's entirely fair. As 94 pointed out, that is how it is in most right to work states.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's how it works in most right-to-work states RJ. You know states in which employees are given choices about their union (and essentially political) associations, not forced to pay union bosses just to get a job.

Those are all red states.. Not exactly RJ's forte!

I would be stunned if I didn't live in a redder county than you.

I agree with all of your points except one.

Why shouldn't non-members get the same pay if they're doing the same job as members?

Maybe the reason is an idndividual would not have the same power to negotiate as high a pay grade as a group would. He has no leverage.

Maybe the reason is an idndividual would not have the same power to negotiate as high a pay grade as a group would. He has no leverage.

This is generally only true of unskilled/low skill labor. The higher your skill level/value to your employer relative to others, the more leverage you have.

WE're talking about government jobs not typical management positions. Do you think DMV or road workers or clerks or meter readers would qualify for your premise?

There are many times as many of them as there are of the types of employees you mention.

Back