• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who'd have thought...

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
after last season we'd be bowling this season against the schedule we played? Beyond that, who'd have thought we'd be bowling if we went 1-3 in our non-conference schedule???

Speaking for myself, I'd say maybe with some luck to question #1 and no to question #2. At the beginning of the season I would have thought a road to a bowl game for us would've had to include wins over Syracuse and Vandy. Of course we'd all like to be better than 6-6 and really should've been, but I guess if we're going to go 6-6, I would rather it be because of a good conference record, as opposed to going 4-0 or 3-1 OOC and having a losing conference record. It was a really bad end to the regular season Saturday night, no excuses for that performance, but all in all there are lots of things to feel good about this season and we're going to get a chance to play somewhere and end it on a really good note.

after last season we'd be bowling this season against the schedule we played? Beyond that, who'd have thought we'd be bowling if we went 1-3 in our non-conference schedule???

Speaking for myself, I'd say maybe with some luck to question #1 and no to question #2. At the beginning of the season I would have thought a road to a bowl game for us would've had to include wins over Syracuse and Vandy. Of course we'd all like to be better than 6-6 and really should've been, but I guess if we're going to go 6-6, I would rather it be because of a good conference record, as opposed to going 4-0 or 3-1 OOC and having a losing conference record. It was a really bad end to the regular season Saturday night, no excuses for that performance, but all in all there are lots of things to feel good about this season and we're going to get a chance to play somewhere and end it on a really good note.

IMO preseason expectations are not really the best way to analyse the overall success of this season. Yes, most thought we would be mediocre at best and MAYBE get 6 wins. But you know what, we were better than we expected, Price made HUGE improvement, Givens was way better than we expected (even though we knew he was a stud, who would have guessed leading the ACC?), and played in a division that was pretty damn easy to win with Clemson playing like shit down the stretch, FSU losing early in the season and everyone else sucking it up. I hope I'm wrong but this division will not be this wide open for a Wake win for awhile. That being said, the season was disappointing considering the collapse the last six games, and not a success bc of a shitty bowl game nobody wants to go to.

IMO preseason expectations are not really the best way to analyse the overall success of this season. Yes, most thought we would be mediocre at best and MAYBE get 6 wins. But you know what, we were better than we expected, Price made HUGE improvement, Givens was way better than we expected (even though we knew he was a stud, who would have guessed leading the ACC?), and played in a division that was pretty damn easy to win with Clemson playing like shit down the stretch, FSU losing early in the season and everyone else sucking it up. I hope I'm wrong but this division will not be this wide open for a Wake win for awhile. That being said, the season was disappointing considering the collapse the last six games, and not a success bc of a shitty bowl game nobody wants to go to.

That's your opinion and I respect it, but taken as a whole this season has been a success. The reason I say that is because we were so bad last season. I mean we were not even close to being competitive in most of our games. We could've gone 3-9 again and been much improved if we had just been competitive. I agree that expectations can change during the season and the last 6 games were disappointing. I hope your wrong about the division not being as wide open for awhile, I don't think many people thought it was going to be wide open this year. As far as a bowl game, sure we'd like to be in Nashville or Charlotte, but I remember back in 1992 we couldn't have been more excited to be going to Shreveport. Of course we hadn't been to a bowl in 13 years and we weren't used to having a respectible football program at the time either. I enjoyed this season a lot and I'm excited that we get to play one more time, but that's me. If people want to feel otherwise, that's you and you're entitled.

IMO preseason expectations are not really the best way to analyse the overall success of this season.

Agreed, now that the season is done, it's gotta be analyzed with respect to what actually happened. Successful compared to last season? Sure. As successful as it should have been, knowing what we know and seeing what we've seen? Not in my opinion.

As good a season as anyone expected and a definite success.

Exceedeed expectations and set themselves up for even more in 2012 and beyond.

Agreed, now that the season is done, it's gotta be analyzed with respect to what actually happened. Successful compared to last season? Sure. As successful as it should have been, knowing what we know and seeing what we've seen? Not in my opinion.

Well said. I would say we had a successful year compared to last year. However, with the opportunities we had this season, particuarly mid-late in the year and didn't capitalize or close out games, it's frustrating.

Problem being the season is not done.

One thing I hope the team has learned this year going into next year is they've got to go out every game for 60 minutes and play motivated. I think the thing that disappointed me most this season, was how many times I read one of the players being quoted after a game, "we let up." Heck, I even got that impression Saturday night against Vandy. We played pretty decent up until we got the 7-6 lead and then it's like we took the rest of the night off. If we can replenish our OL loses, this team can be really good next season I think, but we've got to play motivated every game. I think Grobe really needs to spend some time over the off-season thinking how to push the right buttons to get our guys to do that.

Well said. I would say we had a successful year compared to last year. However, with the opportunities we had this season, particuarly mid-late in the year and didn't capitalize or close out games, it's frustrating.

I think that's a really good take. The season was a success, but was certainly frustrating that it wasn't better with the opportunities we had. It makes you sick to think how close we were to playing this coming Saturday night. Don't get me wrong from my OP, I'm extremely frustrated with our missed opportunities this season.

The rare post-loss Lectro sighting. Color me shocked.

Back