• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year's Football expectations...

Bubbadeac

Reaction score
QB...Solid but need Sousa or Cross to develop
RB...Harris bounces back and has a breakout season;Reynolds provides depth
WR...Best unit on the team; Givens makes All-America bid
TE...Big question mark
O-Line...Big and talented but unproven; Key to Wake's season

D-line...Whitlock needs help; Healthy Booi and Sousa would help; Young athletic DEs are interesting
LB...Ziggy, JJ, Olsen, Joey yeah should be OK
CB...Bud should have help...
S...Please move Okoro here; Should be solid

Special teams...Wulfeck has steadily improved, Newman a couple of stumbles but solid; Camp is good returner but this needs to be sorted out during Spring...

I see 8-4 next year...What say ye...

If the OL lives up to the hype/potential, we may not see many sets with TE's and spread the field with more WRs.

TE...Big question mark

D-line...Whitlock needs help; Healthy Booi and Sousa would help; Young athletic DEs are interesting

Special teams...Wulfeck has steadily improved, Newman a couple of stumbles but solid; Camp is good returner but this needs to be sorted out during Spring...

I would agree with this.

Couple thoughts:

WR: I am still hearing Givens is leaning towards capitalizing on this season but I have faith in Camp, TD & Sherman
TE: I have heard really good things about Bishop
LB: Hunt is going to push these guys hard
CB: KJ could still end up being our best DB next season. His football IQ is off the charts. He is long, quick and has added much needed weight. I have not heard anything about Kenny moving to S but I have heard that AJ is moving to S.

Im with you on the 8-4 and maybe better

If the OL lives up to the hype/potential, we may not see many sets with TE's and spread the field with more WRs.

I always worry about our O-line. We're losing some seniors so hopefully the replacements are good.

Agreed with the rest. 9-3 my hope next season.

Last edited:
TE...Big question mark

Harris is going to have to work hard in the spring and fall camp to get out of Grobe's doghouse. Dan asked Grobe about Harris getting into the tailback rotation for the bowl game and he said not very likely. I hope he gets right and has a great year at tailback for us, he's got all the physical tools.

If Alex "Mate" Kinal can get more consistent, he'll take over Wulfeck's job next season. Wulfeck's has done a really solid job for us this year, but Kinal has a really strong leg. Just needs to develop kick to kick consistency.

W's: Liberty (Home), Army (Home), BC (Home), Duke (Home), Maryland (Away)
L's: Notre Dame (Away), FSU (Away)
Toss Up's: Vanderbilt (Home), Clemson (Home), UNC (Home), NC State (Away), UVA (Away)

I say we beat Vandy, UNC, and NC State. 8-4 (5-3). If we can take the Clemson game, we could fight for the Atlantic if FSU stumbles again. Unfortunately, FSU gets us and Clemson at home.

Last edited:
I always worry about our O-line. We're losing some seniors so hopefully the replacements are good.

Agreed with the rest. 9-3 my hope next season.

I hope the young OL's are as good as we've heard, of course if it turns out they are I'll wonder why they didn't see the field some this season????

Wulfeck has steadily improved

I'll be disappointed if Wulfeck sees the field next year. The Aussie has the stronger leg, and Aussie punters in general are known for being able to place the ball. He should have more upside in long and short punting situations now that he's had a while to get used to pads, snaps, etc.

If we're really playing this game, my predictions:

Wins: Liberty, Army, Boston College, Duke
Losses: @FSU, @Notre Dame

Other games: Vandy, Clemson, UNC, @MD, @NC State and @UVA

Should finish between 6-6 and 8-4. Definitely a favorable schedule without having to play VTech or GTech, and getting Clemson and UNC at home which are winnable games.

I'll be disappointed if Wulfeck sees the field next year. The Aussie has the stronger leg, and Aussie punters in general are known for being able to place the ball. He should have more upside in long and short punting situations now that he's had a while to get used to pads, snaps, etc.

Watching him in warm-ups, it looks like the main thing is getting the ball to turn over more consistently. Just about every punt he hits is high, but a lot of them don't turn over and really hurts the overall distance. The ones he does get to turn over are Plack-esque.

I always expect to be 6-6, no reason not to be. Next year anything UNDER 7-5 and we disappoint, 7-5 a good year, 8-4 would be a very, very nice achievement and solid year, 9-3 and we have an outstanding, excellent season.

In what will be Grobe's 12th year, I also never expect to see the type of no-show, disinterest, lack of energy and focus that we witnessed last week. See that one time and that will be a major disappointment.

Last edited:

This is true. However, kicking 'spirals' is still relatively new to him. It's just not part of the AFL game.

I always expect to be 6-6, no reason not to be. Next year anything UNDER 7-5 and we disappoint, 8-4 would be a decent year, 9-3 and we have an excellent season.

In what will be Grobe's 12th year, I also never expect to see the type of no-show, disinterest, lack of energy and focus that we witnessed last week. See that one time and that will be a major disappointment.

I don't know how to explain that either, except that coming off the tough loss to Clemson, than getting over that disappointment to get up for Maryland and the guys just didn't have anything for Vandy. No excuse other than when you're dealing with 18-22 year olds it's hard to know what you'll get. I think Grobe will adjust our Thanksgiving week preparation next season because of it. I know he said, the team has generally played well on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in the past and they did the same type things this Thanksgiving week, they'd done in the past. Obviously, something didn't click with the team. Had to be the most uninspired effort I've seen out of a Grobe team, even worse than the home game against Navy in 2008 I think.

This is true. However, kicking 'spirals' is still relatively new to him. It's just not part of the AFL game.

No need to kick a spiral on placement kicks. In fact, you want to kick an end over end rugby kick when you're trying to angle the ball out at the sideline between the 5-10. Wufleck has actually been rugby kicking some this season...presumably, on purpose. ;)

Last edited:
Watching him in warm-ups, it looks like the main thing is getting the ball to turn over more consistently. Just about every punt he hits is high, but a lot of them don't turn over and really hurts the overall distance. The ones he does get to turn over are Plack-esque.

Based on his desire to play professionally, I suspect he'll practice like hell all summer. It's definitely the easiest position to improve on over the summer.

My expectation for football next year is...

an abundance of "Fire Lobo" threads.

If we're really playing this game, my predictions:

Wins: Liberty, Army, Boston College, Duke
Losses: @FSU, @Notre Dame

Other games: Vandy, Clemson, UNC, @MD, @NC State and @UVA

Should finish between 6-6 and 8-4. Definitely a favorable schedule without having to play VTech or GTech, and getting Clemson and UNC at home which are winnable games.

Based on this schedule and persistent problems in the program which will go unmentioned, 7-5 is the ceiling for this group.

I wish we would ditch the 3-4. Or at least figure out how to get some pressure out of it. Our blitzes are weak sauce and we get gashed too often if the other team can neutralize Whitlock.

We already do not get any pressure, why not be stout against the run then? Whitlock can play the role John Russell used to in the 4-3 and then have Redding/Souza/Booi play next to him.

I wish we would ditch the 3-4. Or at least figure out how to get some pressure out of it. Our blitzes are weak sauce and we get gashed too often if the other team can neutralize Whitlock.

We already do not get any pressure, why not be stout against the run then? Whitlock can play the role John Russell used to in the 4-3 and then have Redding/Souza/Booi play next to him.

I like that too and you can always use both looks. I mean we seem to get the undersized but athletic type guys, so how hard would it be to shift guys around and use multiple front 7 looks? I really think Nikita would be even more effective though, if he was lining up beside a more traditionally sized DT.

Honestly, if you factor in the lack of gettig pressure on the opposing quarterback, our defense held up pretty decent for the most part. Next year if we can figure out how to get consistent pressure, our defense can be really good, IMHO.

Back