• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big 10 having issues selling championship tix?

I kinda understand the choice of Indianapolis based on central location in conference and playing in an NFL stadium, but I think that location is hurting them some this year. Indiana is full of ND fans, not Big 10. As for traveling fans, MSU doesn't have the huge traveling fan base and Wisconsin only confirmed they were going to be in the game with the win this weekend. I think once their fans have a chance to look at finances and make travel arrangements a lot more tickets will sell.

darrenrovell darren rovell
There are 333 tickets to the Pac-12 championship game on @StubHub selling for less than $50

Are the games sold out? Because that's all that matters.

Are the games sold out? Because that's all that matters.

scalpers losing their shirts... stubhub still profiting because even when sales are occuring at below face they're making their 25% (10 from the buyer plus delivery fees, 15% from the seller).

scalpers losing their shirts... stubhub still profiting because even when sales are occuring at below face they're making their 25% (10 from the buyer plus delivery fees, 15% from the seller).

Exactly, using stubhub as the metric for whether a championship game is a success for a conference is dumb. The Big Ten and Pac 12 don't care that scalpers can't sell their tickets for a profit in the secondary market. If the game is sold out then they maximized their ticket revenue from the game. This is not the same as the ACC Championship Game which actually has trouble selling out.

but I think that location is hurting them some this year. Indiana is full of ND fans, not Big 10. As for traveling fans, MSU doesn't have the huge traveling fan base and Wisconsin only confirmed they were going to be in the game with the win this weekend.

Michigan State sold their Big Ten Championship game allotment in a day. They have always traveled well to bowl games in the past. What remains to be seen is will they travel to a Big Ten Championship game AND a bowl game.

Exactly, using stubhub as the metric for whether a championship game is a success for a conference is dumb. The Big Ten and Pac 12 don't care that scalpers can't sell their tickets for a profit in the secondary market. If the game is sold out then they maximized their ticket revenue from the game. This is not the same as the ACC Championship Game which actually has trouble selling out.

It's done fine in Charlotte. I went last year and the stadium was pretty packed despite absolutely horrible weather, and it sold out pretty quickly this year.

I kinda understand the choice of Indianapolis based on central location in conference and playing in an NFL stadium, but I think that location is hurting them some this year. Indiana is full of ND fans, not Big 10. As for traveling fans, MSU doesn't have the huge traveling fan base and Wisconsin only confirmed they were going to be in the game with the win this weekend. I think once their fans have a chance to look at finances and make travel arrangements a lot more tickets will sell.

Well, they awarded it to Indianpolis through 2016, so I guess they better hope they get a steady diet of Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska moving forward.

The big thing hurting them this year is the fact that neither team is in the BCS title hunt, which is always the case with at least one team in the SEC Championship game.

Michigan State sold their Big Ten Championship game allotment in a day. They have always traveled well to bowl games in the past. What remains to be seen is will they travel to a Big Ten Championship game AND a bowl game.

They sold out in a day but I bet a lot of the fans won't make the trip. They sell tickets for these games without telling you where you'll end up sitting. So as a Michigan State booster considering making the trip, you pony up the $80 per ticket on top of your required donation. Then the "tickets are allocated based on priority" which is a totally mysterious process since only 2 schools are likely buying all the tix.... and then they stick you with crappy nosebleed seats.

If I got stuck with nosebleeds I'd cancel and try and resell the tickets too... and then you realize that 1000's of other fans also got stuck with the same crappy seats... which drives prices down down down to below what the original cost was.

Sometimes the best seats are actually sold by the venues themselves, directly via StubHub for inflated ticket prices. F$U and Virginia Tech already have deals directly with StubHub... the ticket office staff puts tickets to their biggest games directly onto StubHub at inflated prices... so only season ticketholders actually pay face... there is never a general public single game ticket sale for their best games. Let's hope Wake doesn't end up partnering with StubHub.

The only way I think we can fight back is by letting schools know that we won't donate if they're going to scalp us. I'm fine with a donation based seating system but if you want to sell out to stubhub that will definitely be a consideration for when I'm thinking about tickets next season.

It's done fine in Charlotte. I went last year and the stadium was pretty packed despite absolutely horrible weather, and it sold out pretty quickly this year.

I realize that and agree it is doing much better in Charlotte than it was in Florida. The game sold out early this year, but the ACC has been fortunate to with the teams in the championship the last two years. Tampa and Jacksonville getting BC, Wake and GT did not help them and it will be interesting to see if Charlotte will still sell out the games when the teams with smaller fan bases make it.

That is a problem the Big 10 will probably never have even if NW wins whatever division they are in and the Pac 12 is basically guaranteed a sellout with it being at a school's home stadium.

Last edited:
I realize that and agree it is doing much better in Charlotte than it was in Florida. The game sold out early this year, but the ACC has been fortunate to with the teams in the championship the last two years. Tampa and Jacksonville getting BC, Wake and GT did not help them and it will be interesting to see if Charlotte will still sell out the games IF the teams with smaller fan bases make it.

That is a problem the Big 10 will probably never have even if NW wins whatever division they are in and the Pac 12 is basically guaranteed a sellout with it being at a school's home stadium.

I think the ACC will do all in its power to prevent that from happening. Phantom TDs, pass interference penalties, et al.

They sold out in a day but I bet a lot of the fans won't make the trip. They sell tickets for these games without telling you where you'll end up sitting. So as a Michigan State booster considering making the trip, you pony up the $80 per ticket on top of your required donation. Then the "tickets are allocated based on priority" which is a totally mysterious process since only 2 schools are likely buying all the tix.... and then they stick you with crappy nosebleed seats.

If I got stuck with nosebleeds I'd cancel and try and resell the tickets too... and then you realize that 1000's of other fans also got stuck with the same crappy seats... which drives prices down down down to below what the original cost was.

Sometimes the best seats are actually sold by the venues themselves, directly via StubHub for inflated ticket prices. F$U and Virginia Tech already have deals directly with StubHub... the ticket office staff puts tickets to their biggest games directly onto StubHub at inflated prices... so only season ticketholders actually pay face... there is never a general public single game ticket sale for their best games. Let's hope Wake doesn't end up partnering with StubHub.

The only way I think we can fight back is by letting schools know that we won't donate if they're going to scalp us. I'm fine with a donation based seating system but if you want to sell out to stubhub that will definitely be a consideration for when I'm thinking about tickets next season.

As to Florida State this is true, but it has nothing to do with StubHub. This has been the case at least as far back as 1999 (and probably before that) - well before StubHub. In my four year in college, FSU played Miami at home twice, Florida at home twice, and Notre Dame at home once - no single game tickets were sold for any of those games. It was widely publicized that the only way to get Florida and Miami tickets was to buy season tickets. Part of it had to do with the fact that FSU and Florida (and FSU and Miami when it wasn't a conference game - I don't know if it still holds true now) have an agreement to provide more than the required minimum amount of tickets to the other school. They also gave certain high roller donors and season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase additional single tickets.

I know Florida State has partnered with StubHub for its online season ticket resales, but I would like to see something that actually shows the school (and other schools) itself selling through StubHub.

I realize that and agree it is doing much better in Charlotte than it was in Florida. The game sold out early this year, but the ACC has been fortunate to with the teams in the championship the last two years. Tampa and Jacksonville getting BC, Wake and GT did not help them and it will be interesting to see if Charlotte will still sell out the games when the teams with smaller fan bases make it.

A Wake/GT game would have done fine in Charlotte. At least in Charlotte you have local people that care about the ACC. As long as the league keeps the game there, attendance won't be one of the game's problems worth worrying about.

Corporate interests are supporting the game in Charlotte very well and have bought up a lot of tickets for entertaining. The same goes for the Belk Bowl. Anybody who is a client of anybody in this town can get free tickets to either of these games, which is great for the ACC.

A Wake/GT game would have done fine in Charlotte.

Agreed. We could bring as many to Charlotte as we bring for a home game in Winston. Probably more, because there are tons of Charlotte alums who aren't trekking up and down the road 6-7 weekends a year to Groves and quite a few more in ATL who would drive up to CLT for a Championship game. BofA Stadium holds 74K. Between corporate tickets and local Wake fans, the attendance for a Wake-GT game would be great. There are plenty of GT fans around CLT as well.

The issue with the Florida games is that few fans in the ACC footprint can make plans to be out of town and get down to Florida in an affordable manner on such short notice (1-2 weeks).

I take back what I said about the Big Ten if this is real.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/evg/2727703432.html

"Saturday night event in downtown Indianapolis needs seat-fillers. Total number of seat-fillers needed will vary based on crowd.

Must tolerate loud noise and crowds. Must have red or dark green casual clothing to wear. Event will last all evening on Saturday night. All ages, sexes, races, etc.

Please use contact e-mail. Event planner will follow-up with exact details on location for staging of seat-fillers (additional information and instruction provided there).

Compensation: 75 dollars, parking validation and access to event"

Woops. Next stop Detroit? Aren't many options for indoor stadiums in the area.

Back