• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday: Free basketball ticket for toy donation

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
If anyone is interested:

WGHP Fox 8 is proud to partner with the Deacs to bring Gifts for Kids to the Joel Coliseum on Saturday, Dec. 3rd. Fans are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped toy to the men’s basketball game versus Richmond. Tip-off is 1:00 p.m. Fans will receive a free ticket to the game with the donation of a new toy with a retail value of $10 or greater. All toys will be collected and given to children in the area.

Can we just bring a toy and leave? Richmond is going to bend us over and make us call them "Daddy."

Bad attitude, I know.

Damn, I thought the $5 toy I bought at Dollar General was gonna count.

Can we just bring a toy and leave? Richmond is going to bend us over and make us call them "Daddy."

Bad attitude, I know.

We have a 42% chance to win and KenPom only has us losing by 2. Should be a pretty good game actually.

Good promotion.

And, Richmond isn't as good as they have been the past couple of years. Should be a good game.

Good promotion.

And, Richmond isn't as good as they have been the past couple of years. Should be a good game.

Agreed. Their offense is still in development, but they have a couple of decent players on the wings. Their perimeter defense is probably their best attribute right now and could give our shooters some trouble.

Easier to just scream and whine about our team getting blown out without actual facts...who could blame him LiveandDie??? smh

They offered to give needy children the tickets, but Jim O'Neill threatened child abuse charges.

They should have made the promotion if you bring a toy you can get your money back for your season tickets. Then people would really get into the holiday spirit of giving...

Easier to just scream and whine about our team getting blown out without actual opinions...who could blame him LiveandDie??? smh

FIFY, people's opinions that Richmond is not as good as last year and it will be a good game are not facts, 27. Look up the definition and for the record I hope we kick Richmond's tail Saturday.

FIFY, people's opinions that Richmond is not as good as last year and it will be a good game are not facts, 27. Look up the definition and for the record I hope we kick Richmond's tail Saturday.

BS. Kenpom is FACTS!

BS. Kenpom is FACTS!

Wonder what Kenpom said about UConn last year going into the Big East tournament?

Seriously: How does Kenpom come up with their rankings and predictions? I just looked and they have Richmond #79 and us #174, yet they're predicting we lose by only 2? What's real depressing is seeing the teams that are ranked ahead of us, hopefully that changes for the better as the season goes on.

Last edited:
I think we just need to have a KenPom thread and tack it to the top of the boards so people stop asking the same questions over and over again.

h/o and I'll post in the thread Stonz breakdown of his rankings at this juncture in the season.

From Stonz on another thread:

Sure. He calls it his "Crazy Uncle." He just started it last year, and had some pretty solid success (his preseason top 4 all went on to become #1 seeds, for example).

It's got 3 factors:
1) Prior years' efficiency
2) Returning players
3) Top 50 recruits

To expand a little bit:
1) He factors in the past 3 years of efficiency data. I would assume that the years are weighted so that the most recent year is the most meaningful. Last year he used the past 2 years, but has since found that using 3 is more accurate. This accounts for the fact that teams that are good tend to stay good (and vice versa).

2) This is the area that is most unknown, I think. He isn't exactly using returning minutes. I think he's essentially using returning usage rate combined in some way with respective efficiencies to estimate offensive efficiency. Estimating defense is trickier. We really don't have the stats to accurately capture an individual player's impact on defense. I'm guessing he uses some combination of returning stl%, blk%, dreb%, and overall returning minutes.

3) Pretty much self-explanatory. Teams with incoming recruits ranked in the RSCI top 50 get a boost (which I'm guessing is exponential...i.e landing #1 Anthony Davis vs. #11 PJ Hairston results in a much bigger boost than landing #31 Quinn Cook instead of #41 Ben McLemore). He also does factor in potential playing time (i.e Dorian Finney Smith is worth more to Va. Tech than similarly-rated Michael Gbinije is for Duke). Last year he attempted to evaluate incoming recruiting classes for every school, and he found that forecasting freshmen seasons for recruits ranked outside the top 50 is nearly impossible; its just way too unpredictable.

Intuitively, it makes a lot of sense. It finds the starting point (Part 1), and then accounts for losses (2) and gains (3).

To answer someone else's question, it is gradually phased out. Team strength is not constant; it fluctuates throughout the season. KenPom is designed to forecast how teams will do, not how they have done. As a result, the more recent a game was, the higher its weight. In March, results from November are nearly meaningless. So, as each game goes by, Crazy Uncle's projection is factored in less and less. Last year, Pomeroy said that the preseason projection was completely zero-ed out around mid/late January. I imagine that'll be the case again this year.

Finally, for those keeping score at home, KenPom went 4-4 today in the Old Spice Classic.

I'm not even saying that KenPom is right all the time especially when it is based on one game (see the Arizona State game where he was way off). My only point is that people see the name Richmond and just assume they are going to kill us because they were good last year. That doesn't really mean anything in terms of this year because they lost 4 seniors that averaged over 63% of the teams minutes last year.

I'm not even saying that KenPom is right all the time especially when it is based on one game (see the Arizona State game where he was way off). My only point is that people see the name Richmond and just assume they are going to kill us because they were good last year. That doesn't really mean anything in terms of this year because they lost 4 seniors that averaged over 63% of the teams minutes last year.

It's not the name Richmond right now, unfortunately it's the name Wake Forest. ;) Seriously, I hope you're right and I hope we win, because it would be a good win I think. Richmond has been one of the most consistent mid-majors over the years and they always seem to play us tough, even when we were good.

It's not the name Richmond right now, unfortunately it's the name Wake Forest. ;) Seriously, I hope you're right and I hope we win, because it would be a good win I think. Richmond has been one of the most consistent mid-majors over the years and they always seem to play us tough, even when we were good.

I mean I think we could get blown out too. With this team it is always a possibility. I was just raising an objection to people just assuming that we are going to get blown out every single game without any evidence to back that up.

I mean I think we could get blown out too. With this team it is always a possibility. I was just raising an objection to people just assuming that we are going to get blown out every single game without any evidence to back that up.

You're right, my attitude is really bad when it comes to basketball right now. Hopefully, I start to see some good signs from this group. Actually I was pretty pleased with I saw the first 3 games and even against Dayton and then the ASU game just took the wind right out of my sails. :noidea:

Back