• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perspective

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
After we won to go 16-0 in '09, peeps on these boards (well, not these boards) were comparing us to '90-'91 UNLV.

so you are saying that people, when given an anonymous and impersonal venue to express opinions, are known for mass euphoria or despair with no rationality?

man you are profound.

so you are saying that people, when given an anonymous and impersonal venue to express opinions, are known for mass euphoria or despair with no rationality?

man you are profound.

Actually no, I don't think he's saying that.

I think the perspective is our team got a good road win last night, we saw some improvement out of some guys we needed to see improvement out of, and our coach had our team prepared and coached a good game. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't get why everyone feels the need to come here after wins or losses and play reality police. Let people be pissed when we lose, and for fucks sake let everyone be happy when we win. I don't think many people have gotten carried away with a victory over a pretty bad Big 10 school, it's just nice to come out on top for a change.

While this board typically displays wild mood swings after wins and losses, I don't sense the same irrational optimism following this narrow win over a mediocre team. I think most realize wins will be few and far between this year, but certainly every win is a potential step in the right direction.

We beat Nebraska for christsake. I like the kids on the team but we are going to get smoked when ACC play starts.

While this board typically displays wild mood swings after wins and losses, I don't sense the same irrational optimism following this narrow win over a mediocre team. I think most realize wins will be few and far between this year, but certainly every win is a potential step in the right direction.

Fairly certain that one of the board dwarves (the one from Texas?) posted that he was no longer worried about Buzz's coaching or the direction the team is taking.

We beat Nebraska for christsake. I like the kids on the team but we are going to get smoked when ACC play starts.
In this ACC, we have 5-7 winnable games on the schedule.

I'm not saying we'll win 5-7, but the capability is there, especially if we play like we did last night.

It happened. Less vicodin and cheap bourbon. More exercise and clean living.

Ha. That made me laugh.

As was previously said, let fans be happy when we win, let fans be pissed when we lose. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it is a sports message board for fuck's sake. People are going to be irrational either way at times. After last year, I think people have a fair reason to put on their black and gold tinted glasses after last night, at least until we play Richmond.

There was a lot of talent on that team, no doubt....one of if not the most talented teams in our history. But those guys are gone, and here we are...

I think that we all can admit that proper perspective is rarely displayed on a message board.

We won! It is not that we played well enough to win, but couldn't quite pull it off, neither is it that we showed some encouraging progress yet still lost. We won and we looked like a fundamentally sound basketball team in doing so (at least relative to last season). There are some ugly losses ahead, perhaps several. However, after last season and off season and with the depleted roster we have currently, these are major encouragements, even surprises. Therefore we should be very pleased and more hopeful for next season. We should not think that we are contenders for anything, however.

I think this team will be much, much more enjoyable to watch, easier to support and will produce more empathy when they lose. It would be nice if the greater portion of us could sustain moderate expectations and thus moderate reactions to both losses and wins.

That would be nice...but experience teaches that it is not very likely.

Fairly certain that one of the board dwarves (the one from Texas?) posted that he was no longer worried about Buzz's coaching or the direction the team is taking.

You actually took irrational optimism from my recent posts? I'm shocked.

After we won to go 16-0 in '09, peeps on these boards (well, not these boards) were comparing us to '90-'91 UNLV.

And therein should lie the difference.

Logo.png

Back