• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL-ACC FOOTBALL TEAM SHOWS

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
the simple fact that the staff at Wake can flat coach-up football players and are, imo, the best teachers in the ACC.

Those who look closely enough can see the importance of getting in the door with the smaller pools of superior OL and DL recruits. Tremendous headway has been made thus far but as we enter the second decade of the Grobe Era sights are set on bigger fish. If we are able to show and extol the work of our staff perhaps we might be able to make a small dent in the mindset of onlookers.

The OL and DL are the last horizon to cross...they are the most difficult as the numbers are smaller and the intensity of the recruiting is at its most intense. Wake has made progress along the offensive wall and now with Lewinson and Banks on the DL we have a good start...just need the levee to break with one of these young bigguns and helping them, in whatever small way, to see just 'how much the Deacon staff gets out of their recruits' would go a little way in helping that effort. :thumbsup:

Players up for ALL-ACC in 2012:

LB Mike Olson 6'3 - 238 RS JR. -- Rapidly headed toward stardom. Reviewed his season tape and he made so many impressive stops...still some inconsistencies but if he improves as he did from frosh to Soph then he is the league's heir apparent to Kuechly at BC.

C Garrick Williams 6'4-317 RS SR. -- the unsung member of the OL was very solid this season.

CB Merill Noel 5'8 1/2 - 188 RS Soph. -- on the road to AA -- needs to talk to Alphonso about sophomore season and 'trying to do too much'. If he continues to play within the scheme then an AA campaign will be underway.

NT Nikita Whitlock 5'10-268 RS JR. -- Heart and Soul and Captain of the D. Another year of S&C will be of great help as Whitlock becomes strongest Deacon on the team.

WR Chris Givens 6'0-203 RS SR -- Electrifying player will benefit from one more "serious" year of S&C...he still has more speed to coax out of those legs.

Slot/KR Michael Campanaro 5'10 - 193 RS JR -- mercury slick player who is also a sandlot type who you can draw a play for on the fly. Great football instincts plus quick on quick wheels will propel Campanaro to the top of the league among Punt and Kick returners.

Other contenders?

Okay, I'll throw one out and it's also meant as challenge to this guy:

Josh Harris

I know he's got the talent.

Okay, I'll throw one out and it's also meant as challenge to this guy:

Josh Harris

I know he's got the talent.

Agree. Hoping his hamstring problems go the same route as Campanaro's (FR-RS FR) and hope his development as a person mimics Chris Givens' change from soph to JR.

Josh needs only to look to Chapel Hill and see the bset back in the ACC (Bernard) and use Gio as a motivation...be the best back in the state first then go from there.

Tanner Price certainly has a shot to be All-ACC. I doubt Boyd retains his First Team spot. I think the end of the year was a little more indicative of the type of player he is. Also, more teams will have film on him. I expect Tanner to be Second Team at worst, especially if we obtain 8+ wins. Our non-conference schedule will give him the opportunity to put up some big numbers that this year's non-conference did not.

Tanner Price certainly has a shot to be All-ACC. I doubt Boyd retains his First Team spot. I think the end of the year was a little more indicative of the type of player he is. Also, more teams will have film on him. I expect Tanner to be Second Team at worst, especially if we obtain 8+ wins. Our non-conference schedule will give him the opportunity to put up some big numbers that this year's non-conference did not.

I think you have it right at 2nd team...he has a real good shot to be at the top of the ACC along with Logan Thomas imo.

Clemson, FSU, and VT are the ACC programs that have the most success with OL and DL recruiting. It'd be nice to be in that company.

Clemson, FSU, and VT are the ACC programs that have the most success with OL and DL recruiting. It'd be nice to be in that company.

Agreed. I believe if we can get the developmental word spread more widely then we might win one of these battles (Brennan Williams as example). The pool is smaller and many of the bigguns love to stay home near momma. It's a tough chore but this staff has done it with 2nd tier (rank) recruits at LB, WR, CB, etc.,. They now have some outstanding young power- bases to work with on the OL from Preble to Summers to Goodwin, Blitch, Intemann, Ford, and Heartsill (mending nicely).

Grobe had pretty good success with Caldwell's recruits at OL and DL. Grobe's OL recruiting has included a few individual stars, but overall OL play has been poor. As I posted last week, he's literally pulled out DL recruitment out at the last minute with guys like Boo and Whitlock coming in right before singing day and panning out.

No Okoro? I thought he was a Top 5 NFL CB prospect?

Who knows, he might become just that.

After Josh Bush's performance and reputation change from 2010 to 2011 I guess anything is possible.:thumbsup:

But... Mel Kiper has been wrong before...

justin jackson could compete for all-acc imo. i thought as the year went on, he got better and better. not unexpected given his knee injury last year.

Agreed. I believe if we can get the developmental word spread more widely then we might win one of these battles (Brennan Williams as example). The pool is smaller and many of the bigguns love to stay home near momma. It's a tough chore but this staff has done it with 2nd tier (rank) recruits at LB, WR, CB, etc.,. They now have some outstanding young power- bases to work with on the OL from Preble to Summers to Goodwin, Blitch, Intemann, Ford, and Heartsill (mending nicely).

For some reason Clemson and UF always do a good job in NC recruiting these types of players.

the simple fact that the staff at Wake can flat coach-up football players and are, imo, the best teachers in the ACC.

Those who look closely enough can see the importance of getting in the door with the smaller pools of superior OL and DL recruits. Tremendous headway has been made thus far but as we enter the second decade of the Grobe Era sights are set on bigger fish. If we are able to show and extol the work of our staff perhaps we might be able to make a small dent in the mindset of onlookers.

The OL and DL are the last horizon to cross...they are the most difficult as the numbers are smaller and the intensity of the recruiting is at its most intense. Wake has made progress along the offensive wall and now with Lewinson and Banks on the DL we have a good start...just need the levee to break with one of these young bigguns and helping them, in whatever small way, to see just 'how much the Deacon staff gets out of their recruits' would go a little way in helping that effort. :thumbsup:

Will Lewinson or Banks be In For Spring? If not, they will redshirt, right?

I'd like to hear more about Desmond Floyd and how we will use him since he will be playing somewhere on the front line. Hope we use him in a 4-3 to rush the passer as we are almost last in the nation in SACKS right now.

Kid sounds like he will be an absolute BEAST out there and the kind of help Whitlock needs.

Also, love to hear more about Pineda and his progression - last I heard he was 6'4/250 and still growing.

Thanks.

I'd like to hear more about Desmond Floyd and how we will use him since he will be playing somewhere on the front line. Hope we use him in a 4-3 to rush the passer as we are almost last in the nation in SACKS right now.

Kid sounds like he will be an absolute BEAST out there and the kind of help Whitlock needs.

Also, love to hear more about Pineda and his progression - last I heard he was 6'4/250 and still growing.

Thanks.

I don't think Lewinson is necessarily a redshirt, especially if he comes in as strong as he looks in his videos. Kid is a beast.

For some reason Clemson and UF always do a good job in NC recruiting these types of players.

The state produces its share of big kids but they often struggle academically...this season did see the Stadnik brothers but talking to dad for years left me with little hope for those 2.

Would like to land the Michael Via's when we can... Degeare was a solid student and aspiring chef so he had a different perspective than someone like DJ Reader. Guys with transcripts like Reader are the norm in NC.

Thanks.

Banks is likely a RS and watching him and looking at his physique I cant help but think he'll wind up at DT. Maryland took a 2 star Dre Moore out of Charlotte and added 50 pounds to his frame and made him ALL-ACC.

Pineda is larger than that. He is a hulking athlete who has hit a post highschool growth phase. Bill George could probably inform better but I think he's more like 6'6 and 260 today. Former 6'1-210 LB at start of hs senior season.

Desmond is a long armed athlete in the mold of Calvin Pace. Bigger than Calvin at same stage he has the chance to be a huge DE in the 6'6-280 range after Coach Reeve works him a couple of years.

Godspower is 6'3-250 at DE and is another long armed muscular kid who can run --- if you look at Dorty, Orange and Ellis this kid is the evolution and improvement (athletically) at that position.

Sheldon will play immediately. He is currently 6'2 plus and 255. He is aiming at 265-270 for post summer 2012. He bench presses 450 pounds and has a lower body that is equally as strong.

Banks is likely a RS and watching him and looking at his physique I cant help but think he'll wind up at DT. Maryland took a 2 star Dre Moore out of Charlotte and added 50 pounds to his frame and made him ALL-ACC.

Pineda is larger than that. He is a hulking athlete who has hit a post highschool growth phase. Bill George could probably inform better but I think he's more like 6'6 and 260 today. Former 6'1-210 LB at start of hs senior season.

Desmond is a long armed athlete in the mold of Calvin Pace. Bigger than Calvin at same stage he has the chance to be a huge DE in the 6'6-280 range after Coach Reeve works him a couple of years.

Godspower is 6'3-250 at DE and is another long armed muscular kid who can run --- if you look at Dorty, Orange and Ellis this kid is the evolution and improvement (athletically) at that position.

Sheldon will play immediately. He is currently 6'2 plus and 255. He is aiming at 265-270 for post summer 2012. He bench presses 450 pounds and has a lower body that is equally as strong.

Awesome report. Thanks.

Can't wait to get all these guys on the field at the SAME time, eligible and healthy.

Awesome report. Thanks.

Can't wait to get all these guys on the field at the SAME time, eligible and healthy.

Complacent, that would be real nice to get everybody in good shape and working from the same sheet.

Impressive offensive battery (potential of course) but multiple All League Candidates:

QB Tanner Price -- 20 year old JR could see quantum improvement in consistency and decision making. 2nd full season with Galloway-Elrod-Lobotzke triumvirate. Gelling with Givens, Camp, and Davis and incorporating the talents of a host of other young wideouts. Price looks like he has grown from last year and next to him he seems about 6'3 and 205 -- look for him to add 10 pounds and continue to work on foot speed.

Josh Harris 5'10 and 210 -- here is to hoping that we will toast the end of JRoc's 2011. A return of the guy who was clearly the top Spring and Fall player on O but who failed to translate. If he can put the ham's behind him then maybe just maybe he'll fulfill what is an assload of potential.

Tommy Bohanon -- 6'2 and 250 -- if there is a better FB in the ACC then I don't know him. Tommy is a load and has some real clutch hands out in the flat. Big, powerful build reminds you of Owen Schmidt without the Roid Rage.

Back