• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ditch the 3-4

P4nthers11

Reaction score
How many times this season did we see exactly what happens at the 18 second mark in this video?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7198066

Nikita can get after the QB. Nikita cannot stop the run. He would be even more of an absolute animal if he could JUST focus on getting to the QB. Put him next to another DT. When he runs around blocks we get gashed.

Our LBs cannot get to the QB on blitzes and guys like Wilber are essentially de-clawed at OLB.

Real Talk Time. Haynes, Betros, and Ehrmann were solid this year but not good. Our LBs were not terrible like last year so there was that. I am not losing sleep if their playing time gets cut down. Joey had ONE QB hurry this year, ZERO sacks, and 2.5 TFL. One big play all year and the rest of the time was a non-factor.

Start the youth. Justin Jackson, Mike Olson, and Zach Allen.

What are the benefits of the 3-4 we run?

Disagree on the run stop comments. He can get swallowed up or moved but he also makes some great stops in the backfield which is why he ranks around 25th in the nation in TFL's. Those tfl's are of running backs.

Disagree on the run stop comments. He can get swallowed up or moved but he also makes some great stops in the backfield which is why he ranks around 25th in the nation in TFL's. Those tfl's are of running backs.

Agree with this. He does a great job with that, but to do that he is basically opening the hole himself rather than taking up blockers and filling the hole so when he doesn't get in the backfield it doesn't go well. In a 4-3 that wouldn't be as much of a worry.

Serious question. How many TFL's did Whitlock have the 2nd half of the season?

Also, the 3-4 blows but we would need another DT to run something else. Whitlock held it down all by himself.

I hate the 3-4; but assumed that we just don't have the personnel to play the 4-3

I have heard Souza is in the doghouse. I do not know why or even if this is accurate but I would love to see him on the field.

Redding has the girth to play DT. I though Vogelsang was on his way to being a DT but he actually looks like he has lost weight since he got here and was moved around a bit ending up at OLB due to injuries this season I believe.

Mosby getting kicked off the team for smoking the reefer did not help for sure and Booi being soft hasn't either.

I just do not see the point of us taking a body off the line and in its place substituting an ineffective LB.

Go back to the 2nd half of the FSU game. We basically ran a 4-3 that game. Whitlock and Wilbur pinned their ears back and went all out at the QB and it worked well. I don't know why we went away from that.

I hate the 3-4; but assumed that we just don't have the personnel to play the 4-3

If you have a bunch of undersized D-linemen, you don't have 3-4 personnel either.

If you have a bunch of undersized D-linemen, you don't have 3-4 personnel either.

Yes you do, it is just a different 3-4 than most are accustomed to seeing with a mammoth DT. It relies on versatility and blitzing from all over the place.

Right. A team running a "different 3-4" is doing so because they don't have 3-4 personnel.

Sweet idea! Let's blow half a season converting to a defense we don't have the personnel for.

We had a couple of busts at DL out of that JAX area. Too bad one of them didn't pan out.

Sweet idea! Let's blow half a season converting to a defense we don't have the personnel for.

You mean like we did when we converted to the 3-4 in the first place?

How can anyone defend the complete drop-off in production and impact Kyle Wilber had when we went to the 3-4?

Please direct me to these blitzes which are so effective and versatile. All I've seen is blitzes getting swallowed up by opposing linemen. We blitz our LBs and they get stood up, over and over again. Ehrmann was consistently unable to get around the corner this year too.

You mean like we did when we converted to the 3-4 in the first place?

How can anyone defend the complete drop-off in production and impact Kyle Wilber had when we went to the 3-4?

Please direct me to these blitzes which are so effective and versatile. All I've seen is blitzes getting swallowed up by opposing linemen. We blitz our LBs and they get stood up, over and over again. Ehrmann was consistently unable to get around the corner this year too.

Yeah...I mean this post is really spot on. I thought the blitzes would be tough for offenses to pick up but either for reasons related to poor personnel or just a poor scheme (more than likely a combo) this has not been the case. We're playing this set out of necessity I think, but I don't know how we really got to this place.

Guys, we could run 9-2 or a 2-9 but bottom line, we lack elite speed at a lot of spots right now.

Back