• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP - Vasily Alexeev

Would you eat his unwiped ass for a national championship though? It must be asked.

I can't imagine how bad it is for your back to press 500 pounds.

What's the difference between a clean-and-jerk and a clean-and-press?

Jerk uses more leg drive than press to help get the weight overhead; with the jerk, lifter kind of drops under the weight using a split stance before standing upright again to complete the lift.

If you click on the link it has videos of both. In the jerk you involve your legs as leftcoast said. In the press: no legs.

Last edited:
If you click on the link it has videos of both. In the jerk you involve your legs as leftcoast said. In the press: no legs.

That's why I was asking... I can't tell the difference from the videos. Looks like he's using his legs in this video of the press:

ty sub

NM. Figured it out. I guess I ignored the part in leftcoast's part that mentioned it only being in the overhead part of the lift... pretty subtle/easy-to-miss

Last edited:
That's why I was asking... I can't tell the difference from the videos. Looks like he's using his legs in this video of the press:

In the jerk he splits his feet and walks them back together.

Watch his feet in the clean and jerk video...he "drops" under the weight at the same time he sends the bar up...to "drop" under the bar, he goes to a split stance, and then brings his feet together to stand straight. This is the jerk.

In the Press his stance doesn't change significantly.

Think how much more he could have lifted if he had an iPod and was listening to some Explosions in the Sky while performing his lift.

Back