• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACCCG in Charlotte Through 2013

HeavyPetter

Carnal Decadence
Reaction score
ACC championship game returning to Charlotte

ACC commissioner John Swofford announced today that the league's football championship game will return to Charlotte's Bank of America Stadium in 2012 and '13.

Swofford made the announcement on the eve of this year's game between Clemson and Virginia Tech in Charlotte, which has been sold out for several weeks. The game was also in Charlotte in 2010, also a sellout.

"I think it's pretty obvious that both last year and this year are tremendous successes in terms of this game," said Swofford. "They're back-to-back sellouts, and that's certainly very, very important to us."

Swofford said the decision to return to Charlotte was unanimous within the league and that the game was not opened up for bidding to other cities. The game was held in Jacksonville, Fla., and Tampa, Fla., before coming to Charlotte. -- David Scott

Read more: http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2011/12/acc-championship-game-returning-to.html#ixzz1fPXk263P

ensures clemson will be in it again next year

I hold that jackass John Swofford wholly responsible for my only speeding ticket.

I should have never had to through frickin' Richmond Hill, GA to get to an ACC Championship Game.

& IMO; a night game in Charlotte is infinitely better than a noon game in Jacksonville for a couple of reasons.

JAX made no sense (for any member of the league) unless you have the Florida teams dominating the conference... in which case, you've successfully sold the conference's soul to a state that has nearly nothing to do with the tradition & history that makes the ACC special.

Going off topic: I like to see the ACC BB tourney on a 4 year rotation in G'boro, MSG, Charlotte and Atlanta

Going off topic: I like to see the ACC BB tourney on a 4 year rotation in G'boro, MSG, Charlotte and Atlanta

I'd rather just see it rotate between Greensboro and Madison Square Garden.

I like Greensboro Charlotte and Atlanta for the acc tourney I don't think that the tourney should ever be played in msg when the majority of the acc teams are southern schools and why make fan bases travel all the way up to nyc to see their conference tournament, the acc should keep it's tournament in the south because of it's southern roots

When there were talks of going to 16; I thought having divisional rounds on Tuesday/Wednesday for the northern side in MSG (which is probably more feasible now with the state of the Big East) and the southern half in G'boro or Charlotte with the last two standing in each division meeting for a final four of the conference that weekend; rotating between the two venues each year would be awesome.

The logistics (especially getting the NYC years figured out) would be a nightmare; but you'd keep something resembling the original ACC tournament alive in NC and, in my mind, would create quite a spectacle moving forward.

I'd rather go to ACCT games in New York City than Atlanta.

Last edited:
FWIW, I thought the Georgia Dome was a terrible place for the ACCT. I didn't mind it so much for the Final Four a few years ago but damn that place is the opposite of an intimate place for a conference tourny. 'Great seats' to those games were worse than 'decent seats' in G'boro.

Yeah the Georgia Dome sucked for the ACCT. They should of just played it at Phillips or whatever its called.

I'd rather go to ACCT games in New York City than Atlanta.

Me too, and I'd also rather go to Charlotte than Greensboro. I live closer to GSO but there is just so much more to do around the arena in Charlotte than there is in Greensboro.

Me too, and I'd also rather go to Charlotte than Greensboro. I live closer to GSO but there is just so much more to do around the arena in Charlotte than there is in Greensboro.

You should try tailgating. The ACCT in Greensboro makes an excellent first tailgate of the year.

Back