• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What if..

DeacsOrDie

Reaction score
Random, I know. Thought just came to my mind a second ago. What if we never recruited that guy from Virginia who had a 43 inch vertical, a guy named Chip Vaughn. And what if he never blocked that chip shot field goal that was kicked at a line drive angle during the 06' season where we went on to win an ACC championship.

Where would our program be? (Intended to be a funny, yet quite serious question)

Edit: yeah I'm an idiot. Forgot to subtract out our conference championship win from our conference win total. Not sure it was a mistake worth a neg rep but anywho...

Last edited:
Interesting. Never knew that stat about how far ahead we were in front of the ACC race. Looking at it from a momentum stand point, I think something really lit a fire on our a$$ after that game.
Also looking at it long term, obviously that Duke game didnt have a direct impact on recruiting, but that momentum shift from that game that sprung the incredible year truly picked up our recruiting, imo

Wow that was a close race. Glad we won it outright

We would have won the 5-3 tiebreaker. However, without Chip, we probably wouldn't' have been 5-3 anyway. People bring up the momentum shift, but I'm not sure how much our team would have been affected considering how we bounced back after the Clemson game. Still, you never know what would have happened.

Random, I know. Thought just came to my mind a second ago. What if we never recruited that guy from Virginia who had a 43 inch vertical, a guy named Chip Vaughn. And what if he never blocked that chip shot field goal that was kicked at a line drive angle during the 06' season where we went on to win an ACC championship.

Where would our program be? (Intended to be a funny, yet quite serious question)

Yeah and what if we kick one FG v. Klempsun, we're playing tomorrow night....:werd:

Yeah and what if we kick one FG v. Klempsun, we're playing tomorrow night....:werd:

And what if we kick the FG vs Clumpson AND Marshall williams makes the catch in the end zone at State?

We're looking at three ACCCG's in six years.

The bigger what if in that scenario is what if Chip had played more on the field goal defense. He was out of position and jumped because he didn't know what else to do. Before anyone calls bullshit, that's straight from his mouth in the summer of 07

Blocking field goals is all about luck, or in your case being in the right place at the right time.
To block a field goal by jumping straight up the way Vaughn did (not coming around the edges) so honestly the best technique is to "pick a spot and jump really high". The timing of the jump, the hand placement of the 'jumper' and the height of the jump has to be perfect. So him saying "he had no clue what he was doing" is perfectly fine with me being that blocking a kick straight up is pure luck (other than having the skill to jump 43 inches)

I'm happy to play the what-if... what if the backup was even better, we crush all opponents and win the natty champ?

What if Kenny Moore as RB failed miserably?

What if Sam Swank got injured his junior year instead of his senior year?

Hard to believe there was a better QB for wake forest at that time.

Doubt it. Not as accurate. Riley just posed naked, never raped anyone

What if our schedule hadn't been switched at the last minute and we played Virginia Tech in Riley's first start instead of Duke?

What if a tornado had come down from the sky and sucked Riley off the field in his first game?

What if the Eagles drafted Akili smith instead of Donovan Mcnabb? Oh, they still wouldn't have any championships....nevermind

If we hadn't signed Chip Vaughn, we wouldn't have anything to obsess on and talk about 5 years after the fact.

Back