• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Article about Grobe and Penn State

EqDeac

Reaction score
East Dorset, VT/ West Palm Beach, FL/ Upperville,
http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/12/this_is_not_the_time_for_a_spl.html

Jim Grobe is such a man. He still has five years left on his contract at Wake Forest and he's making almost $3 million a year there so he wouldn't come cheap. Maybe he couldn't be persuaded to leave. But if you talked him into it, you'd be getting a man for your money not just a guy in a ballcap.

One of the reasons Bo Pelini beat out Grobe for the Nebraska job three years ago was that he insisted on taking his entire Wake staff with him including the strength coach. At Halloween, he gives candy bars to his players as a little running joke. He's known to bring morning donuts for his coaches. He goes for a walk with his wife Holly most every lunchtime.

I know about Grobe from Ohio where he led a program in utter disrepair to nouveau success in the late '90s. Then he did the same thing at Wake, taking the Deacs, picked last in the preseason, to an unheard-of BCS bowl in 2006 after which he was named Bobby Dodd national coach of the year.

Grobe doesn't move around much. He has coached at three places in 27 years – Air Force, Ohio and Wake. That's the sort of stability Penn State needs. And I know he'll turn 60 this winter and he hasn't had a winning season in three years at tiny Wake. That's not what you're buying. You're getting a good man with unimpeachable integrity who's always done more with less. And a guy whose assistants and players swear by him.

Makes you glad he's our coach. Remember a similar article about him and Miami before they hired Shannon.

It really is an honor to have him as our coach. My 8 year old wants to play TE for the Deac's, so JG needs to stick around

To be honest, makes me wonder why we're paying him $3 million / year for a 6-6 record.

Most schools wouldn't tolerate it.

To be honest, makes me wonder why we're paying him $3 million / year for a 6-6 record.

#bingo. Perfect situation. Make 3 mil a year to win 6 games in a bad ACC .....perfect scenario.

What record do you think WF's record with Dabo would be? You get what you pay for IMO. Grobe is worth every penny. Your not just paying Grobe for football but you are also paying him to run a program you will never have to question in any manner. That's exactly what Grobe delivers.

I have said this for a while - Grobe could win 8 or 9 in this conference if he would upgrade his coaching staff........

When it comes to chracter, there is no better coach/man than coach Grobe.

and right now, character seems to be an increasingly rare commodity in college coaching...

However, I do agree that while I love Grobe he does need to up-grade his staff.

Still, I am very thankful that he is our head coach.

there are a ton of coaches who could do better at wake. and by a ton, i mean maybe 1 or 2 who would actually take the job. grobe is the best football coach any of us will ever see in our lifetime at wake and he is better than any coach any dead alum ever saw as well.

there are a ton of coaches who could do better at wake. and by a ton, i mean maybe 1 or 2 who would actually take the job. grobe is the best football coach any of us will ever see in our lifetime at wake and he is better than any coach any dead alum ever saw as well.

A ton? Coach Grobe should be a candidate for every job that comes available. The only reason he doesn't get considered is because he is Wake Forest. Without him, we aren't even close to relevant.

I ask you, if you had a son...would you want him to play for coach Grobe? When considering that same question, we overwhelmingly said yes. Could not be more proud for my son to play for and have coach leave his imprint on him.

When it comes to chracter, there is no better coach/man than coach Grobe.

He's paid THREE MILLION DOLLARS to WIN football games. Boy Scout leaders and youth group leaders volunteer every summer to help build character.

This. Period. The end.

I can't believe there are people who don't understand Wake's "history" in football. Grobe is the man.

If I had a son and was choosing where to have him play, I would choose Grobe every time. The only scenario where I'd have to think more than a second is if my son was really, really good. Going with a traditional power team makes it easier to get noticed and drafted really well. But Grobe has definitely sent more than enough good players to the league and thus if you play well with Grobe, you can go to the league.

He's paid THREE MILLION DOLLARS to WIN football games. Boy Scout leaders and youth group leaders volunteer every summer to help build character.

Really? A) He isn't paid 3 million... or THREE MILLION if you prefer, and B) He has won games - where no one else has. This kind of thinking is just odd to me. Four bowls in six years - Five bowls total. Yeah... that's so weak for Wake... wow. Just wow.

I can assure you Grobe's salary encompasses far more than just WINNING football games. and if you are a Wake alum you should be proud of that. Winning is a by product of everything else that is expected of him. and he's done more of that that anyone else at Wake has ever done.

Do you even have a clue what Wake requires from a football player? WAKE up coredeac, coach Grobe is one of the best, if not the best coach in college football.

Last edited:
Back