• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Boeheim and his "apology"

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
I can't help but think how much of a dumbass Jim Boeheim is, even when it comes to issuing apologies about calling out sexual assault victims and their motives.

"I believe I misspoke very badly in my response to the allegations that have been made," said Boeheim, who spoke slowly and paused frequently during a postgame press conference. "I shouldn't have questioned what the accusers expressed or their motives. I am really sorry that I did that, and I regret any harm that I caused."

You think you misspoke??? Misspeaking is accidentally saying something that you don't mean...you didn't misspeak at all Jim, you believed a sexual predator and then belittled the victims that he molested. That isn't freaking misspeaking, that is just a horrendous lapse of judgment in character (which admittedly is understandable given his lengthy relationship with Fine) before you had all the facts.

To say that you misspoke really undermines the apology in my opinion. Not sure how others feel about this "apology", so I would like to hear from people on here.

ETA: Yes, I am glad that he came forward and took back his original statement, but what he initially said can't just be overcome by apologizing for it after the fact.

Anyone else think he seemed liquored up in that press conference?? Does he usually slur that much? Either way that was a mess.

Taking it back would count for a lot more (in my book, at least) if he did so before enough came out for him to be forced into doing so to save his own hide.

As a representative of a university (or any institution for that matter), you just can't accuse alleged victims of sexual assault who are speaking out of being liars when there's even a .01% chance you don't have all the facts.

I was sure (when i listened to Boheim's first statement) that he knew more than we did about Bobby Davis & his step-brother. If he didn't/doesn't; there's no apology in the world that should keep him from getting the boot.

Isn't that his third apology at a press conference in the past 5 days?

Yeah...he's had a few in the past week or two.

I bet he wish he had put his foot in his mouth for once in his life.

When Carmelo Anthony handles a tough situation in the press better than you do ten-fold... you have problems.

Boeheim is an egotistical jackass and it caught up to him on this one.

When Carmelo Anthony handles a tough situation in the press better than you do ten-fold... you have problems.

Boeheim is an egotistical jackass and it caught up to him on this one.

Dare I say Jeff [Redacted] would have handled it better??????

I don't work in PR but I assume that when allegations like this come out you are advised to say, "I'm very concerned and will wait until I learn more.". His arrogance blinded him. Way to tie your public horse to the didler boeheim!

I know it was a joke. But if I was in the mood IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GO TIME.

Oh, and you still owe my a fifth of Absolut. Wa$$a.

Can anyone come up with an example of a good public apology by a public figure?

Not disagreeing with the OP at all, but the pattern with these sorts of things seems to be demanding an apology from a public figure and then bemoaning it as insufficient once it comes. Seems to be a no-win for the figure involved.

And yes, of course the solution is to not be an ass in the first place so as to prevent the need for an apology at all.

I don't get the sense that Boeheim said what he did initially out of arrogance. I think he mishandled the situation out of misplaced loyalty to his friend.

And I don't think this situation is at all like the one at PSU. I don't think Boeheim knew. He just said some very stupid things when it broke.

I doubt he feels sorry at all for going to bat for his friend of 40 years or whatever the number is. Probably feels 1) betrayed by Fine 2) a bit sorry for his stuff about the accuser. Just a bit

Back