• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Real Discussion...hopefully

WFU21

Reaction score
Ok so the facts are simple, barring injury these are the players that we have to work with and Bzz is our coach. That's not going to change just because we gripe and complain enough. So this is the place for a serious discussion about what needs to be done to win with THIS team, not to ensure Bzzs' success (because I want his reign to end) but because all this hate being let out on this board is toxic to recruits and players that read it. I know the interwebs are serious business but is it irrational of me to want to have a rational discussion?

Seriously? I'm not sure there's an answer short of Dr. Atala growing us point guards and big men.

It's going have to be a creative discussion seeing as we don't have those things on the roster

I think there are enough good players to be competitive for 90% of the teams out there. I think we lack a dominate big man to win most of those games and be competitive against the upper 10% teams. With the current team I think we will live and die on the 3 point shot.

Ok then what system can we put into place to make that effective with our current roster

My favorite would be a pick and roll which will collapse on side of D on Derosiers who can dish it out to Chase. Against the zone of course

This board is only toxic to those who take it seriously. Players and recruits certainly don't. By the same token, whatever we may think will help this team is equally irrelevant. Enjoy the dialog--or don't--but don't take yourself or this board too seriously. All will be well--eventually.

I thought that's what these boards were for...?

Tony simply needs to learn how to incorporate the "dish" to the tail end of his drives, if he wants to be effective. Ironically the few times I've seen him actually do it, he's tried to set up Nikita and Daniel, neither of whom are capable of finishing... For Tony, it's just a matter of his general IQ on the floor, not vision per se, but really how he sees the floor and himself on it...

Nikita really just needs to start thinking like a roleplayer, primarily setting better screens and moving without the ball. He tends to muck up the offense, either by going out of position or bailing out the handler prematurely. Since he can't shoot and can't score, he might as well do what we brought him in to do. That's play defense, rebound, set good screens, and be vocal. If he can get garbage buckets as a result, then more power to him.

I'd love to see Carson utilized more as a facilitator in the high post (ala Boris Diaw), far more than I like seeing him jack up threes. Similarly, Carson would be really effective in pick-and-pop sets if we can teach one of our PGs (I'm thinking TC and CJ would be GREAT at this) to run it more often. I'd also like to see Carson's motor be a bit more consistent. He'll never be Arsalan Kazemi, but he could try more than half of the time.

As for Travis, I'd really write plays to get him open shots, primarily on the perimeter, and to limit him in isolation. He's another guy who would succeed in pick-and-pop/pick-and-roll sets, and perhaps he'd even get to attack the hoop, as well.

CJ, like I've said before, is one of the more complete offensive guards we've had in awhile, so really getting him comfortable with the pick and roll would be huge, especially in terms of the versatility it suggests...

Honest question, do recruits even know this board exists? How easy is it to find if you just enter some general search terms about wake forest?

I'm sure some current players read this, but honestly I don't think that much hate is directed towards them. [Redacted], yeah he catches hell. But most people generally try to support the players. Of course people get upset when Tony has a game like he did yesterday, but I think the vast majority of the fans want to see the players develop and do well.

And to be quite honest, I don't know how you win with this team. We just don't have the talent needed to compete. It will almost require perfection from our players to get near the middle of the pack in a bad ACC. We are kind of at the threshold of basketball hell when you consider our mediocre coach, and overall lack of talent. Not exactly a lot going for us at the moment. So, I guess the answer to your question is time. Time to get these players (and coaches) out, and get a new system in place. It sucks, but unless a miracle happens I don't think we win with this team.

Honest question, do recruits even know this board exists? How easy is it to find if you just enter some general search terms about wake forest?

I'm sure some current players read this, but honestly I don't think that much hate is directed towards them. [Redacted], yeah he catches hell. But most people generally try to support the players. Of course people get upset when Tony has a game like he did yesterday, but I think the vast majority of the fans want to see the players develop and do well.

And to be quite honest, I don't know how you win with this team. We just don't have the talent needed to compete. It will almost require perfection from our players to get near the middle of the pack in a bad ACC. We are kind of at the threshold of basketball hell when you consider our mediocre coach, and overall lack of talent. Not exactly a lot going for us at the moment. So, I guess the answer to your question is time. Time to get these players (and coaches) out, and get a new system in place. It sucks, but unless a miracle happens I don't think we win with this team.

There is a thread on the boards titled "Here's an idea: Never play Chennault again."

As doofus says, TC gets called out EVERY game by idiots who don't get the game and pick on his play.

There is a thread on the boards titled "Here's an idea: Never play Chennault again."

Read the rest of that paragraph after what you put in bold. I think I did everything I could to acknowledge that yes, players get called out, in particular Tony C, by select jackasses. But, when you put yourself out there like college basketball players do, you have to expect that when you fuck up people are going to talk about it. If our players are so thin skinned that what a bunch of fat ass losers on an internet message board have to say about them screws with their heads, how can we expect them to handle going into cameron indoor stadium with a bunch of fat ass losers yelling "clever" things about them?

What if we focused more on conditioning and running more. Quick shots and quick penetration to the basket or even a weave with Derosiers in the middle as a pivot

We just don't have the gbodies to do much this year.

It's much better for them to take some beatings while learning the offense and defense they are expected to play next year.

What if we focused more on conditioning and running more. Quick shots and quick penetration to the basket or even a weave with Derosiers in the middle as a pivot

Hey, that's it! Why didn't Buzz think of it? Carson starring as Meadowlark Lemon. I like it!

I think we need another thread that is the actual discussion... Or maybe two more.

Truthfully, it is going to be hard to win a lot with this team as Bz had to clean out the junk & riff raff left over by the Dino-Skip era of AAU style basketball. We had a few thugs and malcontents that are now gone.

This team will have to mold into a team that passes, shoots and plays good defense. Basic stuff to get us back to the style that Odom played when we had Randolph-Tim or Rodney-Randolph-Trelonnie or Tacy played when we had Rod-Skip-Frank or Rudd-Young-Muggsey-Green.

We haven't played with good fundamentals for quite a few years now & must . The Dinger has commented many times on the air since 2006 about our lack of basketball IQ on the floor. Can't have that and must get back to basics which we are.

Truthfully, it is going to be hard to win a lot with this team as Bz had to clean out the junk & riff raff left over by the Dino-Skip era of AAU style basketball. We had a few thugs and malcontents that are now gone.

This team will have to mold into a team that passes, shoots and plays good defense. Basic stuff to get us back to the style that Odom played when we had Randolph-Tim or Rodney-Randolph-Trelonnie or Tacy played when we had Rod-Skip-Frank or Rudd-Young-Muggsey-Green.

We haven't played with good fundamentals for quite a few years now & must . The Dinger has commented many times on the air since 2006 about our lack of basketball IQ on the floor. Can't have that and must get back to basics which we are.

This.

Back