• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is There Any Doubt Okla St Will Be #2?

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
I can't see how 'Bama gets to go now that Oklahoma St. rolled Oklahoma. Their only loss was on the road the day afte a horrible school tragedy where they were clearly flat. I was leaning to Bama, but did not think Oklahoma St was nearly good enough to blow out Oklahoma. I think they have to go.

While Alaabama may be one of the two top teams in football, they lost their "playoff" game with LSU, did not win their conference and OSU should be in the NCG until we get a real play off. Let the season mean something.

I can't see how 'Bama gets to go now that Oklahoma St. rolled Oklahoma. Their only loss was on the road the day afte a horrible school tragedy where they were clearly flat. I was leaning to Bama, but did not think Oklahoma St was nearly good enough to blow out Oklahoma. I think they have to go.

Unfortunately, you're wrong. It will be Bama-LSU, there really wasn't anything Ok State could do to change that. Blame the system.

I think it will be 'Bama. I'd rather see Ok. St., but 'Bama's only loss was early in the year, in overtime to still undefeated and #1 LSU. Ok. St. lost to Iowa St. and later in the year. Their win yesterday was impressive.

Agree with that. I'll add that they lost a close road game on the day (after?) a plane crash killed people from OSU...so they get my sympathy vote. 5 wins over top 25 teams beats Bama's resume too.

It will be a travesty if/when Bama is picked. I thought the whole point of computers and voters is that no team can play all 100+ teams to determine how good they are so you compare resumes, schedules, etc. But in this situation, you actually have the #1 team LSU having already beat Alabama, at their place! What more proof do you need that LSU is the #1 team? Let them play someone else that they haven't played yet to further cement their status, not the same team again. Also, what does it prove then if Bama beats LSU? Should it be a split national championship? Should the title game, played months after the end of the season, be more valuable to Bama than a road win for LSU?

It will be a travesty if/when Bama is picked. I thought the whole point of computers and voters is that no team can play all 100+ teams to determine how good they are so you compare resumes, schedules, etc. But in this situation, you actually have the #1 team LSU having already beat Alabama, at their place! What more proof do you need that LSU is the #1 team? Let them play someone else that they haven't played yet to further cement their status, not the same team again. Also, what does it prove then if Bama beats LSU? Should it be a split national championship? Should the title game, played months after the end of the season, be more valuable to Bama than a road win for LSU?
Would it be any different than a playoff scenario in which Alabama got another shot at LSU?

Yes, it would be different if there were a playoff, but there isn't.

It would definitely be different if it were a playoff rematch, because then Bama themselves would EARN their way to a rematch. Not just handed a rematch after losing to LSU the once.

It will be bama and I am fine with that if bama wins. That way ESPN has something to talk about other than Penn st. This is basically LSU's home game. I couldn't imagine being there that week. Gonna be nuts.

You don't pick a matchup you want to see. You pick team A based on whatever they've done (rankings, polls, wins/loss, stats, etc.) then you pick team B totally without regard to who you picked for A. So the fact that LSU is going to be one of the teams in the game should have no bearing on the second team.

Whether team B should be Bama or OK State is up for debate though.

I think it is pretty close but I'll take a very close loss to the #1 team over losing to Iowa State. I also think that college football's method of determining a champion is flawed and needs to have at least 4 teams involved, if not more.

I think you could easily just have an NCAA Selection Committee pick the Top 4, and have a 2 week playoff within the current BCS system. And it would all be during winter break, so no class time or anythig will be missed. The semi-finals would be on New Years day, back to back, and rotate them among the current BCS bowls, and the finals being a week or two later on the next Saturday evening. So simple and keeps the current bowls, no education conflicts etc., and New Years Day football will actually be a big deal again. Plus you don't lose the "importance of the regular season" issuewhich I tend to agree with as far as college football. I dont like the NBA ad NHL where everyone gets in.

I do think it should be very short and limited, and taken out of the computers and reporters and coaches for that matter. And I thikn you have to keep it within the current bowl system in some fashion. Why can't we have tournament selection committee in football? They will make mistakes, but it will be infinitely better than playing for reporters and computers. Imagine picking the NCAAT in hoops based on the AP poll and RPI? ANYTHING other than this system. I just think it is a complete travesty if 'Bama gets in over Okla St after they destroyed a very good Oklahoma team.

It would definitely be different if it were a playoff rematch, because then Bama themselves would EARN their way to a rematch. Not just handed a rematch after losing to LSU the once.
The end result would be the same. You'd still have a national championship awarded to a team that lost the same game on their HOME field two months earlier.

Your either a proponent of the playoff or a proponent of the two best teams in the nation playing for the title. The two best teams in the nation are LSU and Alabama. Might as well started getting pumped up for that 13-7 national championship game now.

Baam will be #2 in ANOTHER BCS disaster.

If you don't win your conference (and there is no playoff) you don't deserve a chance to play for the nationl chmapionship.

It is just that simple.

There is a lot of doubt now that the computers do not unanimously have OSU at number 2.

Baam will be #2 in ANOTHER BCS disaster.

If you don't win your conference (and there is no playoff) you don't deserve a chance to play for the nationl chmapionship.

It is just that simple.

who did you support for the title game in the event OSU had lost last night?

Has to be OSU; they played too damn well last night to not include them. Personally I believe Alabama is the better team but one can't deny they had their chance.

Back