• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Individual Efficiency Observations

stonz

Reaction score
Individual player stats were posted on KenPom yesterday. Here's what I found interesting, in no particular order:

-We do not have any average offensive players. Travis, CJ, and Chase are all significantly above average. Everyone else is substantially below average.

-Our "big 3" uses 62.5% of our possessions (CJ and Trav both at ~25, Chase at ~12%).

-Nikita and Tony combine for 46% of our possessions.

-CJ is the most efficient player in the ACC (min 24% possessions).

-Travis and CJ are both top 150 nationally at drawing fouls. Tony is top 500, and Nikita is not far behind him.

-Carson is the top shot-blocker in the ACC (#2 is some guy named John Henson), and 30th nationally. He's also #144 nationally in defensive rebounding.

-We don't have a single player near the top 500 nationally in offensive rebounding.

-Fields has the best assist rate, and the 2nd worst turnover rate (Daniel Green).

-We are 306th nationally in bench minutes and experience.

Individual player stats were posted on KenPom yesterday. Here's what I found interesting, in no particular order:

-We do not have any average offensive players. Travis, CJ, and Chase are all significantly above average. Everyone else is substantially below average

Talk about your all time shockers. Good stuff, thanks for posting.

This doesn't include yesterday's game...Carson will probably improve his block percentage, Travis' offensive rating will improve.

Tony leads the team in usage. How pleasant. (not)

TO% is the one individual player stat he lists that I'm not a huge fan of -- but I can't really think of a ton of alternatives other than straight TO/min. Assist rate too, to a lesser extent.

A sobering thought is that we have 7 guys bringing in 6 offensive rebounds per game. Travis should sue for nonsupport.

That's not quite correct on the usage stats above, which appear to be just adding the percentage of possessions they use (shots + turnovers) while they are on the floor, but doesn't account for their time on the bench. When taking playing time into account, here are our team's usage rates (excluding last game), calculated as % minutes played times % of possessions used when on the floor:

Travis 21.4%
CJ 21.2%
TC 17.1%
Nikita 13.0%
Carson 9.4%
Chase 8.8%
Fields 5.3%
Green 3.6%

With the notable exceptions of TC (too many possessions) and Chase (probably too few), the ball is going where you'd hope it would be based on who we want taking our shots. I guess Nikita could stand to turn the ball over a little less as well, but he is what he is.

One other note: interestingly, our returning players (Travis, CJ, Carson, TC) other than Nikita all have substantially higher efficiency ratings than they had last year. Nikita is down from 88 to 80 so far due to lower shooting percentages, but I'd expect him to finish the season right around where he was last year.

Yea Pomeroy's poss% is the percentage of the team's possessions the player uses while he is on the court, not all possessions. That's why its well over 100%

Without looking at any stats, I can tell you that Chase needs to shoot more.

It seems like the offense runs a lot better with AF at point. Any stats to back that up?

These are just raw numbers, but Fields has a +11 plus/minus while TC is at -2.

Context matters with that... Outside of the second half Richmond-game-run, I have been really unimpressed with Fields outside of in garbage time.

If Fields will promise to never shoot any jumpers I think he could be pretty effective in conference play, much more so than TC.

TC is slow, has poor court vision and can't shoot. Fields has shown poor court vision and can't shoot. So where does that leave us?

Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!
you-rock-my-socks!.gif

TC is slow, has poor court vision and can't shoot. Fields has shown poor court vision and can't shoot. So where does that leave us?

CJ should be getting some time at the 1 in preparation for next year.

CJ should be getting some time at the 1 in preparation for next year.

Yep. I'd much rather see CJ at PG next year rather than a rookie CMM.

I don't know, I've seen some pretty sweet passes in the paint from Fields, whereas Tony will opt to take it in for a blocked layup rather than kicking it out to the wide open Chase or Travis.

Back