• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy Appy wants to go bowling

Good move for App State

• Yes

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Doofus/Numbers

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First of all...I am dizzy after reading that article. Talk about writing in circles.

Second, as an App grad I think this is a terrible idea. All you have to do is look at Marshall. I am not sure if their football program makes more money now in 1A (it probably does) but the atmosphere is not there any more. When I was at App they played in the SoCon. I went up to Marshall to watch us play them when they were #1 in the nation (we won BTW) and that was one of the best college football environments I have ever been in...and I have been to most big football schools in the SE. I saw Marshall play a game on ESPN this year and the stadium was half empty. That is because their games are meaningless now. Even if they have a very good season they are only going to go to some two bit bowl that no one will care about. As a fan I think it is better to stay in 1AA and compete for a National Championship every year.

The only way I think this is a good idea is if the BCS schools form their own supper division. If that happens I could see App moving up and being competitive.

Ah but maybe the entry of UNC-Charlotte into football makes App want to move up. Seems to me that if they stay in the lower division, they will end up being the red-headed stepchild of the UNC system for football. Who knows, once the super conferences form, maybe they are afraid ECU and UNC-C will take a spot that they could get if they moved up...

To:the App grads out there

a 1AA championship is the real meaningless thing. and please stop talking about beating a shitty michigan team at the last second in ann arbor. no one else cares.

To:the App grads out there

a 1AA championship is the real meaningless thing. and please stop talking about beating a shitty michigan team at the last second in ann arbor. no one else cares.

1st of all it is a lot more meaningful than spudering in 1A. I would much rather be where we are now than having one "good" season every 10 years.

2nd...with all due respect to Wake (as I am a Wake fan)...our victory over Michigan was bigger than any win that Wake has had in my life time. At the time Michigan was the number 5 team in the nation (an actually ended up having a good year). I know Wake won the ACC Championship but the App win over Michigan got infinite more press coverage and publicity than the ACC Championship.

I see your Marshall and raise you a Boise State. But neither anecdote proves anything.

Which conferences might they join (I know nothing about second-tier southeastern college football)?

I see your Marshall and raise you a Boise State. But neither anecdote proves anything.

Which conferences might they join (I know nothing about second-tier southeastern college football)?

That is the difference between Marshall and Bosie. Bosie could join a high mid major conference because there is nothing else out there. It would be impossible for App to join a good conference. They are not going to the ACC or SEC... maybe Con USA but then you are in the same spot as Marshall. No thanks.

I think their successes are meaningful. Their football team has a good rep- both in the state and to some extent nationally.

That is the difference between Marshall and Bosie. Bosie could join a high mid major conference because there is nothing else out there. It would be impossible for App to join a good conference. They are not going to the ACC or SEC... maybe Con USA but then you are in the same spot as Marshall. No thanks.

Boise State originally joined the Big West conference. I don't know your definition of "high mid major," but the Big West ain't it.

And a single regular season game--no matter how improbable--does not trump a major conference championship and a trip to a BCS bowl.

I think the divisions should be eliminated for football and there should be 300 college football teams competing for the national championship, just like basketball.

UNC-C would probably win.

Boise State originally joined the Big West conference. I don't know your definition of "high mid major," but the Big West ain't it.

But Boise was still able to thrive because there is not much around them. They could still be a relatively big fish. No way App could do that in the middle of ACC and SEC country.

But Boise was still able to thrive because there is not much around them. They could still be a relatively big fish. No way App could do that in the middle of ACC and SEC country.

Your previous posts on the subject show that you have delusions about how important a 1AA championship and a win against a now mediocre traditional power are but you are not nearly as delusional as a lot of the App fans I know who think a jump to 1A would mean App would start to DOMINATE the other NC schools.

Your previous posts on the subject show that you have delusions about how important a 1AA championship and a win against a now mediocre traditional power are but you are not nearly as delusional as a lot of the App fans I know who think a jump to 1A would mean App would start to DOMINATE the other NC schools.

I am not delusional at all. You might not think a being a 1AA contender is important but I would say go to an App game sometime. The atmosphere in Boone on Saturday's and the game experience proves that being a power house in their division means something. Again, if they moved up and had a "good" season every 10 years that would all go away.

I am not delusional at all. You might not think a being a 1AA contender is important but I would say go to an App game sometime. The atmosphere in Boone on Saturday's and the game experience proves that being a power house in their division means something. Again, if they moved up and had a "good" season every 10 years that would all go away.

i have been to app games. it means something to those people but it doesnt mean anything to the average college football fan.

did you know that wichita st. blew washington st. out last night in the NIT? You might but the average college b-ball fan doesnt even know the game was played.

i have been to app games. it means something to those people but it doesnt mean anything to the average college football fan.

ok...I hope you are consistent...to the average college football fan the App win over Michigan means more than Wake's win over GT to win the ACC Championship.

ok...I hope you are consistent...to the average college football fan the App win over Michigan means more than Wake's win over GT to win the ACC Championship.

Take off your glasses for a second man. I know you are an App grad but you have to be smarter than this.

1st of all it is a lot more meaningful than spudering in 1A. I would much rather be where we are now than having one "good" season every 10 years.

2nd...with all due respect to Wake (as I am a Wake fan)...our victory over Michigan was bigger than any win that Wake has had in my life time. At the time Michigan was the number 5 team in the nation (an actually ended up having a good year). I know Wake won the ACC Championship but the App win over Michigan got infinite more press coverage and publicity than the ACC Championship.

It got so much more press coverage and publicity because App is in a lower division. It was the football equivalent of Chaminade beating Ralph Sampson's UVA team. Disagree with Dented there: People do care about that win and it will continue to be a big deal.

App's my 2nd favorite school: wife went there, 2 relatives work at the university, and my parents have a house up there(next door to the AD).

Not sure what the best move is for them, though as a fan, I'd like to see them move up. No real interest in watching them play Furman, Georgia Southern, etc.

Take off your glasses for a second man. I know you are an App grad but you have to be smarter than this.

Gotta jump in here - I am a huge Wake fan, have absolutely no ties to App, and am pretty indifferent as to their program as a whole. But at the time beating Michigan was touted on ESPN as being, "the greatest upset in college football" (at least since the BCS started, I can't remember the exact quote). Yeah, Wake beating GT and winning the ACC championship was huge, but on a national level App's victory in Ann Arbor was far more prominent. Sorry, gotta agree with SnD here.

people may care because it is a historic upset but nobody in California sat down to watch App play Michigan. They heard about it later. They didnt even know the game was going on.

Random football fans in California probably sat down to watch the Wake/GT and even if they turned it off at halftime because it was so boring, they knew it was going on.

people may care because it is a historic upset but nobody in California sat down to watch App play Michigan. They heard about it later. They didnt even know the game was going on.

Random football fans in California probably sat down to watch the Wake/GT and even if they turned it off at halftime because it was so boring, they knew it was going on.

Walk up to most collage football fans and ask the if they remember when App beat Michigan...they will say yes. Ask them if they remember when Wake beat GT to win the ACC Championship, fewer of them will.

But I hate these debates...I don't know why some Wake fans feel the need to poop on App.

Back