• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Just watched HBO Real Sports on Brad Stevens

Brangus

Reaction score
What an awesome guy and an awesome story. His wife is even likeable. He seems like a normal, even slightly nerdy guy, but a brilliant coach.

Dude is only 35.

I hate Bzzzz...even more.

Saw that a while back. Usually hate real sports but that one was great. That dude made an awesome life for himself by taking some risks and following his dream.

Saw that a while back. Usually hate real sports but that one was great. That dude made an awesome life for himself by taking some risks and following his dream.

He had the guts to quit Eli Lilly and go to an UNPAID assistant job at Butler. Talk about confidence in yourself...that dude is my hero.

359cu3d.jpg

I'm trying to enjoy him now as much as possible before he becomes the head coach at Duke and I have to spend the rest of my life despising him.

Him and his wife absolutely love being at Butler, too. Despite all the offers I'm sure he keeps getting, he seems to have no desire to leave. That kind of loyalty is awesome.

I'm trying to enjoy him now as much as possible before he becomes the head coach at Duke and I have to spend the rest of my life despising him.

Duke - K + Stevens =/= Duke & K

I wouldn't start pulling for Duke all of the sudden; but they'd be taking away the thing I hate most about them & replacing it with something I love an awkward amount...

What an awesome guy and an awesome story. His wife is even likeable. He seems like a normal, even slightly nerdy guy, but a brilliant coach.

Dude is only 35.

I hate Bzzzz...even more.

Bz is kind of nerdy.

Duke - K + Stevens =/= Duke & K

I wouldn't start pulling for Duke all of the sudden; but they'd be taking away the thing I hate most about them & replacing it with something I love an awkward amount...

Entirely incorrect. As long as douchebags and uglies go there, Duke will always be Duke whoever there coach is.

Yep. That was our big chance, and ron pissed it all away. Should have made it impossible for him not to accept the position.

I wanted Stevens more than anyone, but that is a stretch. He turned down a lot more than Wake. There are probably 4-5 schools he would leave for.

yeah that real sports made it pretty clear that there was probably no way he would come to wake. dude has lived his whole life within 1.5 hours of butler and basically just started his dream job.

I fucking hate Stevens. And heres why:

I remember when we were #1 in the country. We had a solid coach. Nearly every game of ours was broadcast on basic cable. We made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. Things were going OK.

And then, thanks to ESPN, that handsome devil Brad Stevens became a media darling after a trip to the Final 4, and every WFU fan got a pseudo-sexual man crush on Stevens because he was "soooo cute!". He was young and handsome and had deep dark eyes, unlike our current plain-looking coach who was leading us to the NCAA tournament every year. And that started the whole "Fire Dino" movement.

And the administration caved. Firing Dino was so stupid that no competent coach would agree to come to Wake and be treated the way that we treated Dino, so we ended up with the only thing we could get: a mediocre journeyman at the end of his career. And we deserve what we now have. And we'll continue to suffer. Damn that Brad Stevens.

I fucking hate Stevens. And heres why:

I remember when we were #1 in the country. We had a solid coach. Nearly every game of ours was broadcast on basic cable. We made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. Things were going OK.

And then, thanks to ESPN, that handsome devil Brad Stevens became a media darling after a trip to the Final 4, and every WFU fan got a pseudo-sexual man crush on Stevens because he was "soooo cute!". He was young and handsome and had deep dark eyes, unlike our current plain-looking coach who was leading us to the NCAA tournament every year. And that started the whole "Fire Dino" movement.

And the administration caved. Firing Dino was so stupid that no competent coach would agree to come to Wake and be treated the way that we treated Dino, so we ended up with the only thing we could get: a mediocre journeyman at the end of his career. And we deserve what we now have. And we'll continue to suffer. Damn that Brad Stevens.

Do you really believe any of that? There is very little in that post that is accurate.

I would assume most of its in jest, but our treatment of Dino was received negatively by at least some in the coaching community (witness Gonzaga cancelling the last two games in that series), and I do think it likely impacted the coaching search.

Regardless of how people feel about the hiring of Bz, the ones who cry because we didn't get Stevens really annoy me. We had ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of hiring him. There have been several in depth stories about the guy in the past few years and they always point to the same thing, he loves Butler and has no desire to leave and there are only a few programs in the country that might change his mind, if that.

Back