• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana/Crean model for Wake?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Tom Crean (Big Ten Conference) (2008–present)

2008–09

Tom Crean

6–25

1–17

11th

––

2009–10

Tom Crean

10–21

4–14

9th

––

2010–11

Tom Crean

12-20

3-15

11th

Now 9-0 including beating #1 KY.

We'll do better in Year 3 than he did.

Tom Crean (Big Ten Conference) (2008–present)

2008–09

Tom Crean

6–25

1–17

11th

––

2009–10

Tom Crean

10–21

4–14

9th

––

2010–11

Tom Crean

12-20

3-15

11th

Now 9-0 including beating #1 KY.

We'll do better in Year 3 than he did.

Crean went to a Final Four and recruited D-Wade, so he has more of a cushion than bzzz ever will.

Hope you're right though.

Hope so.

I respect the hell out of Crean. He left a decent job at Marquette to take a steaming pile left at Indiana after Sampson.

Does make me wonder, again, why we couldn't get a better coach that Bz to take our own steaming pile two years ago.

Like it or not IU is a MUCH better job than Wake.

So we'll do better than 3-15 in year 3. That's something to look forward to.

Uhhh these situations are not analogous. And Crean >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bz

haha

crean is so far beyond bzz as a college coach it's not even funny. he has a successful resume for recruiting, coaching and winning games.

bzz has a very long history or showing mediocre results.

Hope so.

I respect the hell out of Crean. He left a decent job at Marquette to take a steaming pile left at Indiana after Sampson.

Does make me wonder, again, why we couldn't get a better coach that Bz to take our own steaming pile two years ago.

Well, for one, we're not Indiana.

Bz will have to recruit much better than he is if he wants to use Crean as a model.

To paraphrase Rik James, "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Tom Crean: Age 46

UnWiped Ass Boy: Age 59

Tom Crean: Final Fours: yes

UnWiped Ass boy: No. NCAA tournament? No, NIT? Yes...wins...Ummm...did I mention that I coached Carmelo?

Tom Crean Pedigree: Michigan St, Pitt, Marquette (history of success)

Unwiped ass boy: Scout, UMBC, Air Force, Colorado (history of failure)

Tom Crean: Coaching Philosophy: Crean established a reputation as a strong recruiter, selling recruits on the notion of joining a family and making sure that players' families are involved in the program.[48] While at Marquette, Crean had been considered by some to be one of college basketball's best talent evaluators.[17] Crean's attention was cited by Madison native Wesley Matthews as the biggest factor in his decision to attend Marquette instead of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where both of his parents had been athletes.[49]
Crean's basketball philosophy involves defensive pressure and fast breaks. His style involves contesting each of the opponents steps on the court.[10] Crean utilizes the halfcourt defense, and requires great ball pressure, great help, challenging shots, and defensive rebounding. Shot selection is extremely important, focusing on spacing, inside-out attacks, penetration and kick.[50] On offense, Crean has a reputation for his magnitude of offensive sets and their multitude of options, with one opposition coach estimating about 400 different sets run. [51]
Crean is known to excel in public relations, charming alumni and press.[52] Crean started the tradition of Midnight Madness at Marquette, which was seen as an immediate success.[53]Between 1999 and 2006, the team saw a 70% overall increase in attendance, three total attendance records broken, and 1.5 million fans pass through the turnstiles.[17] According to former Marquette athletic director Bill Cords, "He's done so many things outside of basketball for the good of the community and the good of people in the state."[43]

UnWiped Ass Boy: Coaching Philosophy: We hope to not get blown out every night, nothing is my fault and did I mention that I coached 'Melo?

Tom Crean: Good Coach

UnWiped Ass Boy: Horrible coach.

Hope so.

Indiana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marquette, no matter what shape the program is in.

IU is one of the top ten jobs in college basketball. Tom Crean is a great coach.

So this is what it has come to. We are really going to talk ourselves into an Indiana type revival with Bzzz.

As the Greatful Dead so aptly put it... "heaven help the fool."

Wake is following the model of mediocrity for the first two years, and are on track to stay the course for year 3. The difference in year #4 will go as followed: Crean starts undefeated and beats #1, Bzz is SSDD and gets fired (or asked to resign because nobody fires their best friend).

I think RJ's point is that to expect immediate success is not reasonable. IU is a historically better program, almost everyone here thinks Crean is a better coach and it still took him several years to get things turned around at IU.

Hopefully, with a little more depth and size with TY back we can start to see some improvement this year, then make a nice jump next year with the young talent coming in.

Back