• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-WF Bowl Ticket Sales

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
BLACKSBURG - The Virginia Tech Athletics Department announced today that it has sold 9,337 of its 17,500 tickets to the 2012 Allstate Sugar Bowl. Over the years, Virginia Tech has earned the reputation of being a football program that enjoys a strong following to bowl games. In order to maintain that recognition, the Athletics Department is asking Hokie fans that cannot make this year’s Allstate Sugar Bowl to consider purchasing proxy tickets. Tech Director of Athletics Jim Weaver, head football coach Frank Beamer, and the entire football coaching staff, will each be purchasing a pair of proxy tickets in order to support this initiative.
http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20111212aaa.html

Chosen over Kansas State, Boise State, etc. because of their amazing fan base. :rulz:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20111212aaa.html

Chosen over Kansas State, Boise State, etc. because of their amazing fan base. :rulz:

It's come out that they were chosen more due to Delaney's lobbying rather than the fan base. The Sugar Bowl owed him a favor for letting Pryor, et. al play in the game last year. The game will sellout anyway. VT is the loser in this since they have to cover the cost of unsold tickets.

I always thought K-State would've brought more people, just based on the infrequency of them being in BCS bowls. Still a strange decision, even with Delaney's lobbying.

It's come out that they were chosen more due to Delaney's lobbying rather than the fan base. The Sugar Bowl owed him a favor for letting Pryor, et. al play in the game last year. The game will sellout anyway. VT is the loser in this since they have to cover the cost of unsold tickets.

We all lose as that cost of unsold tickets comes out of the pie before we each get our slice.

I am so damn happy to be in Nashville and not Shreveport, I will be glad to buy a ticket from them.

We all lose as that cost of unsold tickets comes out of the pie before we each get our slice.

well if they hadnt been picked for the bowl the acc wouldnt be getting any of that revenue.

well if they hadnt been picked for the bowl the acc wouldnt be getting any of that revenue.

And we wouldn't be going to Nashville. VT should have to cover that cost though. Right now at $120 per ticket, it's about $1M in unsold tickets. About $80,000 per team.

This is no commentary on Tech, every school going to a bowl other than the BCS title game is in this boat.

This does illustrate what a total scam the bowls have become. If you're invited, you are expected to purchase a relatively large number of grossly overpriced tickets or pay the difference to the bowl. And the seats given to the invited schools for their re-sale are not only priced two or three times the market price, but these are the worst seats, almost always in the end zone and upper deck end zone. So fans are told by all the schools that "we have to show we are good travelers or we'll never get another bowl bid" so you need to buy ridiculously overpriced, bad seats, when you could get much better seats at much better prices over the internet.

So basically the invited schools are forced to subsidize the bowls, so these bowls can pay their executive directors and senior staff obscene salaries to put on one event a year.

The bowl system really has become a total scam, and yet the gullible media (and gullible fans) act like it is a real honor to be invited to a bowl, when it is really about buying your way in at the cost of your fans.

Well said Free.

They'll be 35,000 Hokie fans there for sure. They know - like everyone else - that tix are cheaper via other avenues.

Well said Free.

They'll be 35,000 Hokie fans there for sure. They know - like everyone else - that tix are cheaper via other avenues.

I highly doubt 35K Hokie fans will be in the house watching Michigan march up and down the field on these overated clowns.

Gonna turn this into non-Wake bowl ticket sales thread

West Virginia has sold 5,700 of their 17,500 allotment for the Orange Bowl

Florida has sold 8,000 of their 15,000 allotment to the Gator Bowl

I have a family member who is a Hokie Football alumn and he is not going to the sugar bowl. He says he has shelled out $$$$$$ over the years and just shelled out $$$$$ at the ACCCG only to see the CHokies lose over and over again.

He's shelling out $$$$ and going to St. Thomas, instead.

He always travels with the same group of 15-20 people and only 2 couples out of the group are making the game.

Champs Sports Bowl is 99% sold out, except for a couple thousand of Notre Dame's tickets. FSU fans are calling the Notre Dame ticket office and are quickly buying them, though.

Driving distance.

I think bowls will need to change expectations about travel. Hopefully that's something that will shift things toward a playoff system that would draw more local fans. I would never consider going to the Outback Bowl, but a 1st round game in the BCS Tournament? I'd be all over that.

I'm still for bowls as a tier below the playoffs but not with the same big money expectations in terms of ticket prices, ticket sells, and exorbitant salaries and expenses for the bowl committees like staff and travel.

Where you buy the ticket through the school knowing you wont go, and then the school gives the tickets to a military group or a Boys and Girls Club in the area. The school still gets the credit for someone purchasing the ticket and it spreads a little good PR by donating to the group.

We spearheaded something similar through the boards for the Aloha and Seattle Bowls.

Gonna turn this into non-Wake bowl ticket sales thread
Good idea. Changed the title.

FreeStateDeac said:
And the seats given to the invited schools for their re-sale are not only priced two or three times the market price, but these are the worst seats, almost always in the end zone and upper deck end zone.
What's the reasoning for that? You'd think the two schools invited would get the choice seats (or at least the bulk of them).

Back