• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bud Noel - SI.com Honorable Mention All-American

Honorable mention All-American, but can't even make it on Todd McShay's list of Top 25 freshmen (or the 32 freshmen that got honorable mention).

I have little doubt that Bud Noel will be better than Alphonso when it is all said and done.

People will chalk that up to hyperbole and just me being in the moment like always, but I truly believe that will be the case.

I'm sure people said the same about Okoro after his freshman year accolades. Just chill out.

People will chalk that up to hyperbole and just me being in the moment like always, but I truly believe that will be the case.

The having "little doubt" part of your statement is what most people if not everyone will question.

Based off this season, yes, Bud could end up better than Zo. But to have little doubt about it, that's just silly.

The having "little doubt" part of your statement is what most people if not everyone will question.

Based off this season, yes, Bud could end up better than Zo. But to have little doubt about it, that's just silly.

Fair enough...I'll stand by what I've said. The benefit is that he has Alphonso Smith and Kenny Okoro mentoring him to avoid doing what they did in their sophomore year. That cannot be understated.

Zo had remarkable ball skills. Bud is a great cover corner, but that's a bold statement.

I would expect this to be posted elsewhere but HD gave him props, too.

Wake Forest CB Merrill Noel: The redshirt freshman currently is tied for the national lead in passes defended with 20, including one interception and 19 pass breakups. Noel finished the regular season with 59 tackles, including 48 solo stops.

Micah is going to shatter Barclay's records... Josh Adams is going to erase the memory of Micah... Josh Harris is so going to rush for 1,000+ yards...

There's a good chance that Bud is going to be awesome but I'll wait until he has more than one season under his belt before crowning him. We go through this every year with at least one player.

Zo had remarkable ball skills. Bud is a great cover corner, but that's a bold statement.

Zo no doubt has better ball skills than Bud, but Noel is a much more physical corner than Zo is. Time will tell if he can develop the ball skills necessary to compete at the level Zo does, I think he can.

Gonna go ahead and bookmark this thread so no matter what happens with Bud at Wake I'll look back and know who stood where.

Gonna go ahead and bookmark this thread so no matter what happens with Bud at Wake I'll look back and know who stood where.

I did a double take.

"Who stood where?" Nobody is BudOut on this thread, man. Just saying beware of the hyperbole. Hyperbole doesn't make you a better fan.

And I doubt Okoro's "mentoring" could help Bud. It's pretty clear from his junior year, he doesn't know what caused his decline or how not to repeat it.

I did a double take.

"Who stood where?" Nobody is BudOut on this thread, man. Just saying beware of the hyperbole. Hyperbole doesn't make you a better fan.

And I doubt Okoro's "mentoring" could help Bud. It's pretty clear from his junior year, he doesn't know what caused his decline or how not to repeat it.

I clearly never said it did, and was not insinuating in any way that thinking Bud has a long way to go to be on the same level as Zo would make you a worse fan than I am.

It really wasn't even directed at you. I made a statement that I knew people were going to disagree with, and I was laughed at by the same person that hardly ever brings anything to the boards other than to put down others.

That brought me to the point that I was going to remember this thread so in 4-5 years from now I can look back and hopefully laugh at the almighty "724".

Clearly Noel has a really long way to go. I just think that is actually better suited to becoming a more consistent corner-back than Zo. He is much more physical and relies more upon his ability to take the receiver out the play than his athleticism and ball-skills, which he needs to improve upon.

Glad to see Bud get some recognition. Really liked his cover ability and tackling. Still though, Phonz was a game changer. Interceptions, sacks, blocked punts, forced fumbles, and he scored touchdowns.

Back