• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Better Player: Zo or AC

Better Player: Zo or AC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WRS

Reaction score
Might as well settle this here and not kill the Bud thread.

ZO

Freshman: 60 tackles (52 solo), 3 INTs, 2 sacks, 12 PBUs, 1 FF
Sophomore: 48 tackles (37 solo), 3 INTs, 4 sacks, 11 PBUs, 1 FF, 1 blocked kick for TD
Junior: 44 tackles (36 solo), 8 INTs (3 TDs), 3 sacks, 18 PBUs, 4 FF,
Senior: 37 tackles (28 solo), 7 INTs, 20 PBUs, 2 FF

Notable Achievements: All-time ACC INT leader, First Team All-ACC, Consensus First Team All-American

AC

Freshman: 39 tackles
Sophomore: 83 tackles
Junior: 3 INTs returned for TD (school record 226 INT return yards), 99 tackles
Senior: 105 tackles, 16 TFL

Notable Achievements: Butkus Award winner, All-American selection by ESPN & Sports Illustrated

Stats are limited. Please feel free to contribute your own. Quoted stats pulled from Wikipedia for the sake of efficiency.

Loved Zo, but AC was the best college defensive player I've ever seen in person. His range was unreal.

Phonso was the better college player by a lot. I think he was the best player in the ACC his last two years.

Zo is just a freakin' playmaker. The fact that he has already been in NFL endzones in really limited playing opportunities is pretty much testament to the fact of his outrageous playmaking ability

AC may have been a dominating force at LB but Phonso could change games on D and ST. Edge: Phonso

Some of the arguments about Phonz' (when did Zo become his nickname?) playmaking ability could be applied to Curry as well. Curry's interceptions, TFLs, and special teams play were as strong as Phonz for their positions.

i love Alphonso, but i honestly think people are letting their recent play in the NFL (and AC's tweets) to cloud their judgement on this one.

while Phonz had more "big plays" his risk taking also left him burnt on more than one occasion. he was one of the biggest reasons we almost lost to Duke in '06. but on the other hand he was one of the biggest reasons we beat Duke in '08 and Maryland in '07.

both were phenomenal Deacs, but I'd have to give the edge to AC for his consistency and able to be disruptive all over the field.

I vote Phonso, but that's merely personal preference.

I think AC had a talent edge & Zo had a hustling edge. That said, neither lacked in either category & I have a very difficult time casting a vote for (or against) either. Two of the all time greats.

without a doubt, Zo...keep in mind, he is also 5'8". skills at that height to do what he does or what he did when he was in the old gold & black. not to mention that he will gladly stop & take a pic w/anyone, anywhere. ZO all the way!!

As a poster on another thread said, which of my kids do I love the best? They were both great players at Wake and we were fortunate to be able to see both at the same time. I choose not to take sides.

I remember James Davis dropping an easy pass out on the flat on his way to a TD, because AC was rounding the corner on him. Phonz was good, but AC was terrifying.

Oh yeah. I remember that play too. I think it was posted on YouTube at some point.

Best play either of them made was against dook in '08, when we were caught with our pants down in a defensive huddle and Lewis rushed the offense up to the line and snapped the ball, then threw a little smoke route to Riley. AC comes streaming out of the huddle while everyone else looks around and makes the tackle single-handedly. It was 1-on-11, and he stopped them for a 2-yard gain.

Best play either of them made was against dook in '08, when we were caught with our pants down in a defensive huddle and Lewis rushed the offense up to the line and snapped the ball, then threw a little smoke route to Riley. AC comes streaming out of the huddle while everyone else looks around and makes the tackle single-handedly. It was 1-on-11, and he stopped them for a 2-yard gain.

What about the play from the very same game under somewhat similar circumstances that sealed the game? Our defensive backs were out of position, Phonz read it and sprinted out of nowhere to pick off the pass and end the game. Riley looked like he was going to be wide-open.

yeah, i had already started cussing because iirc we kicked a FG on our possession. dude looked like he was wide ass open and all the sudden, there's phonz saving our asses.

Back